Milbro rods

wayne baker

Theres been a lot of talk latley about rods and reels on here. Anyway i happened to go round and see me old mums yesterday and while i was there i decided to have a look round her shed. And low and behold i found a couple of my early glass fibre rods. Going back to when i was a nipper. Both float rods 12 foot, Still in there sleeves.

Thinking back i must of used them last in the late seventies, What ever happened to Milbro? Did they change their name or were they bought out by someone else? All i need now is to find my black prince reels.

Good old days lol

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

Theres been a lot of talk latley about rods and reels on here. Anyway i happened to go round and see me old mums yesterday and while i was there i decided to have a look round her shed. And low and behold i found a couple of my early glass fibre rods. Going back to when i was a nipper. Both float rods 12 foot, Still in there sleeves.

Thinking back i must of used them last in the late seventies, What ever happened to Milbro? Did they change their name or were they bought out by someone else? All i need now is to find my black prince reels.

Good old days lol

Milbro still supply air rifle pellets (Mil)lard (Bro)thers. They used to make the old Diana air rifles as well. Millard Brothers Ltd supplied general hardware, guns, fishing tackle etc. They were established in 1887.

I notice that they are on the trade list for 2009 Tackle and Gun show as Millard Brothers again so apparently still going strong!

Edited by Worms

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Guest Rabbit
Milbro still supply air rifle pellets (Mil)lard (Bro)thers. They used to make the old Diana air rifles as well. Millard Brothers Ltd supplied general hardware, guns, fishing tackle etc. They were established in 1887.

I notice that they are on the trade list for 2009 Tackle and Gun show as Millard Brothers again so apparently still going strong!

Interesting...I had a Daisy Diana air rifle as a kid, and still own a Milbro Carp rod which is indestructible :lol:

They never produced a "classic" though that I can think of.Seem to remember they were based in Scotland?

I did my last few years of schooling/living at home in Redditch and my Mum and brother still live there.

Back then (70's) it was the hub of fishing tackle manufacture (a follow on to fish hooks from the needle making indusry that was there).Many top names of the day were based there and just as many have now faded away.Only the bigger manufacturers and wholesalers are still in existance.Shakespeare and LEEDA are a couple I can think of with Partridge and Hopkins and Holloway being the only smaller firms still surviving.In fact Im not sure if Partridge stayed in Redditch after there Mount Pleasant factory was turned into flats?

Long ago now and its late but I seem to remember names such as Gladding/Edgar Sealey,W B Clarke,Taylor and Johnson (became LEEDA),Intrepid? (Chesters?),Millwards,Youngs even Allcocks I think (or was that just because Youngs made reels for them?) and many other "small" rod builders especially.

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

In about 1970/71 I bought a 'Milbro Enterprise Float Rod' which advertised that the model was used in the world championships by Billy Lane (I think it was him). It had overfit spigotless joints and was 14ft and was a pale brownish colour.

BB

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

In about 1970/71 I bought a 'Milbro Enterprise Float Rod' which advertised that the model was used in the world championships by Billy Lane (I think it was him). It had overfit spigotless joints and was 14ft and was a pale brownish colour.

BB

I've still got, (and still use) my old 13ft Milbro Enterprise. I bought it mid 70s. A bit powerful for fine lines, and it was superseded by the Shakespeare International, (which I've also still got).

I had to add a lot of weight to balance the Enterprise, so now it's used as a 'heavier' stillwater float rod.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I've still got, (and still use) my old 13ft Milbro Enterprise. I bought it mid 70s. A bit powerful for fine lines, and it was superseded by the Shakespeare International, (which I've also still got).

I had to add a lot of weight to balance the Enterprise, so now it's used as a 'heavier' stillwater float rod.

John.

I couldn't remember if it was 13' or 14' but as you still have yours I think it was probably 13'.

I like you John also bought a Shakespeare Match International (12') in the mid 70s, what a difference it was to use one of those; I could start using ¾lb to 1lb hooklengths.

BB

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

even Allcocks I think

Allcocks was THE fishing tackle firm in Redditch - founded in the town in 1803 - for generations it billed itself as the Largest Manufactures of Fishing Tackle in the World - and the aerial view of its Standard Works in my 1948 catalogue shows an impressive array of buildings covering some acerage!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Allcocks was THE fishing tackle firm in Redditch - founded in the town in 1803 - for generations it billed itself as the Largest Manufactures of Fishing Tackle in the World - and the aerial view of its Standard Works in my 1948 catalogue shows an impressive array of buildings covering some acerage!

C.

And what some exquisite tackle they made as well, I use half a dozen or more of their rods on a regular basis. They were mass produced but excellent quality.

Here's a little combination that I love to use, a Lightcaster rod with an Allcock's Delmatic reel. The fish isn't huge (14oz) but very pretty!

post-14528-1238444135_thumb.jpg

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I couldn't remember if it was 13' or 14' but as you still have yours I think it was probably 13'.

Wasn't there a 14 1/2ft Milbro Enterprise? It was a long time ago so I might be totally wrong.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net