Nuts For Carp

Elton

Can someone help this angler?

quote:

Are nut baits effective for winter carp? I was going to try flavoured peanuts, can you tell me how to prepare peanuts for bait and how to flavour them? Also what flavours do you recommend for winter and summer?

frustrated carp novice

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I`ve never used any sort of nut for winter carping but i`ll help u out as much as poss

Preparing peanuts.

1. Soak for at least 24 hours (36-48 preferable)

2. Boil for 30-45 minutes or until they squash in between your fingers.

3. Bring off the boil and allow to cool for approx 30-45 minutes then add flavourings and stir.

4. keep in original water and cover until cold,then you can strain if you are freezing but if you are going to use them withing the next few days then you can leave them in the water.

Flavours.

Personally I wouldn`t suggest using any oil based flavours as the oil will virtually solidify in the cold water and not be any good as an attractant.I would suggest a glycerol based flavouring as this doesn`t solidify in the cold water.

An alternative method for adding flavours would be to pre-soak your peanuts using boiling water & add the flavours to that.

The peanuts absorb the pre-soak so much quicker & the flavour goes right to the heart of the nuts.

From then on follow the previous post.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

phonebush:

I realize conditions are much different. In the Midwest US peanuts are not a very good winter bait, flavored or not.

Phone

Its the same here Phonebush I`d much prefer to use HNV boilies to particle baits such as peanuts in winter

Quite agree,

I think the highly visible, single item food package of a boilie, suits the Carps food needs far better than particles once its in its winter feeding mode.

Having said that, I have caught well on particles midway through December. If Carp are being regularly fished for, they seem to take longer to descend into their winter sulks.

Weather obviously plays a major part in all this, so if temps aren't too bad, don't be in a hurry to abandon a system that's been working for you.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

I've had plenty of fish on tigers during the winter.

fed very sparingly, no more than 10 free offerings scattered around the hookbait (single tiger)

Never used peanuts, even in summer. Too many different grades out there and cheaper ones can be deadly even when prepared correctly. Always use human grade peanuts, never bird/animal grade

Another winning winter method is maize, sigle grain on a size 8 or 10 with a scattering of 10 or so grains of sweetcorn as free offerings, maybe a very small pouch of hemp out there too.

Paul Singleton

Try normal tiger nuts, either whole or in pieces - a much more effective winter particle.

Never forget that there are possible dangers using peanuts, even more so during the winter when a carp's food intake will be reduced, therefore potentially increasing the % of peanuts in it's diet; especially if an angler has been baiting heavily with them.

Research has been undertaken to prove that if a carp's diet consists of approx 20% peanuts then there is a real danger of Vitamin E deficiency due to the high lipid levels in these nuts. This can result in a deterioration in a carp's condition and possible death - peanuts are about 50% lipid.

I never use peanuts now and have found that boilies with a % of milk proteins added are much more effective from November through to March.

SEA FISHING THE SOUTH WEST

www.seaswest.org.uk

I don't reckon P.nuts in the winter. I'd use chick peas, well soaked in mollases, which isn't affected by cold. added to that, the Mollases is a good source of easily digestable carbohydrate for the fish.

Incidentally, the best source of Mollasses I've found is a horse feed supplier (they all do it). You can get it by the gallon and it's well cheap.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org