What to do with Paedophiles

Sportsman

Guest Rabbit
No KB doesn't have a point, people are not like pets.

As for jumping to Emma's defense all of the time, I wouldn't presume as much. Emma, as she has so often demonstrated is perfectly capable of defending herself.

KB was maintaining that certain posters (in this case Emma) always disagree with him because of who he is. I was merely pointing out to him that this is not the case, they disagree with him because what he says is inaccurate and just plain wrong.

The reference to yourself I didn't quite understand, are you suggesting that I keep jumping to your defense? I certainly don't remember that.

As for patterns emerging I will support the argument I agree with, argue with the one I don't and offer my own opinion whenever I feel moved to do so, so if that is the pattern you are referring to then who am I to argue :rolleyes:

People are mammals and in a purely biological point of view it was a fair point KB was making, you however dismiss it and again support Emma in rather a sychophantic manner which is unlike you. Not the first time either hence the tongue in cheek comment about patterns.

This sounds very trivial, except that I watched the BBC 2 showing on the subject tonight and a inmate of 50 plus victims actually opted for a physical castration, he reported that he no longer has the urges that fuelled his past crimes, hard to argue with that perhaps?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An interesting result for that man but with the wide availability of testosterone replacement therapies, there is no assurance it would remain an effective treatment for his urges.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

People are mammals and in a purely biological point of view it was a fair point KB was making, you however dismiss it and again support Emma in rather a sychophantic manner which is unlike you. Not the first time either hence the tongue in cheek comment about patterns.

This sounds very trivial, except that I watched the BBC 2 showing on the subject tonight and a inmate of 50 plus victims actually opted for a physical castration, he reported that he no longer has the urges that fuelled his past crimes, hard to argue with that perhaps?

The point KB was making was that if castration worked for dogs and cats then it must work for humans was just wrong. If he had said that it might have worked for some humans I might have agreed with him.

The fact is that in the majority of cases the urge to do what they do is not purely biological. I have a biological urge to have sex with attractive young women. I don't however attempt to do so and I didn't need to be castrated to achieve this. It would seem that the sex offenders in question have biological urges, and something else, which causes them to act on their urges. Castration may remove some of the urge but will not remove other factors. Their motives may be much more complex than a simple desire for sex.

BTW if, by sychophantic, you mean that I have broad agreement with, and respect for, someone who argues their case articulately and intelligently rather than just says "cut their nuts off, chemically or otherwise" then I couldn't argue with that ;)

Edited by Sportsman

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Guest Rabbit
An interesting result for that man but with the wide availability of testosterone replacement therapies, there is no assurance it would remain an effective treatment for his urges.

True but he would have to actually seek the testosterone therapy whereas he states that his current state is without the urges he did have prior to castration. However as the programme indicated these men come over as very plausible, after all it is how the managed to 'groom' children in many cases so extreme precautions have to be in place as is the case in this 'prison''.

Guest Rabbit
The point KB was making was that if castration worked for dogs and cats then it must work for humans was just wrong. If he had said that it might have worked for some humans I might have agreed with him.

The fact is that in the majority of cases the urge to do what they do is not purely biological. I have a biological urge to have sex with attractive young women. I don't however attempt to do so and I didn't need to be castrated to achieve this. It would seem that the sex offenders in question have biological urges, and something else, which causes them to act on their urges. Castration may remove some of the urge but will not remove other factors. Their motives may be much more complex than a simple desire for sex.

The fact that humans are mammals as I stated was perhaps that a similar effect with castration could be had with humans as with 'pets'. So with respect I do believe it was a fair point , after all medical tests are carried out on many mammals currently as to the suitability for humans.

I do agree with your comment that apart from the biological urge we as men might have, we mostly temper that with a feeling of wrong, that is what these offenders perhaps do not have which would render castration useless. The problem lies in the brain clearly, not in any other body parts I would say. :wub:

The fact that humans are mammals as I stated was perhaps that a similar effect with castration could be had with humans as with 'pets'. So with respect I do believe it was a fair point , after all medical tests are carried out on many mammals currently as to the suitability for humans.

I do agree with your comment that apart from the biological urge we as men might have, we mostly temper that with a feeling of wrong, that is what these offenders perhaps do not have which would render castration useless. The problem lies in the brain clearly, not in any other body parts I would say. :wub:

The key word that you used and that KB didn't was "could" As KB has said himself many time he sees the world as black or white (useful in South Africa I would have thought) Unfortunately most of the world consists of shades of grey.

I agree completely with your last sentence BTW :D which sort of argues against castration being the perfect solution. It may however be one in a number of possible solutions and may be more suitable for some offenders than for others.

My cat has been castrated. He has recently developed a sexual attraction to a sheepskin rug, and can often be seen humping it. It seems to me that humping the dead skin of another species is fairly deviant - I mean, it's not a habit one would mention in polite conversation.

I only caught a small part of last nights programme, but it was where a guy who had refused treatment, was explaining why he thought he was cured.

He said that when he committed the acts he felt an obsession to do so, and when this happened he didn't think of children as people, just 'objects' that he used to satisfy his feelings/urges.

He added that he felt 'cured' because he now realised that they were real people, just smaller.

This suggests to me that there is a lot more to the problem than just one of sexual preferences.

I have to add that if it happened to my kids, or I caught one in the act. My initial reaction would be to cause serious harm to the individual.

In a situation like that I couldn't see compassion or forgiveness ever entering my mind.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

My cat has been castrated. He has recently developed a sexual attraction to a sheepskin rug, and can often be seen humping it. It seems to me that humping the dead skin of another species is fairly deviant - I mean, it's not a habit one would mention in polite conversation.

Psst. you don't have any photos of that do you? err no, forget that - just joking hahaha. No just pretend you didn't see me, right

Why do we expect these people to be telling the truth ?

How can we prove they don't still have these urges ?

I am quite happy to argue that such a deviant is unlikely to be a wholly truthful and trustworthy person.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "