A passion for angling

leedsunited

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guessed that Jon. No probs there.

In law, I guess, it all boils down to intent. A grey area, perhaps! Its something that goes on and, as yet, not something that is being acted upon that I'm aware of.

I appreciate you guys were suggesting copying/selling in jest.

Now, for those not in the know....

Go treat yourself to a new copy of Passion For Angling AND Caught In Time. After all, you are buying direct from Hugh - he almost went bankrupt while making APFA from what I heard!

And at the same write him a letter threatening him if he doesn't hurry up and make the next DVD in the series (of the Caught In Time)....

And once you've done that, go track down copies of "Angler's Corner" (there are two videos in the series). They haven't been available for years but you might see them on eBay or some old book/video shop. Don't pay silly money for them (I once saw one of the videos available for £130!!! - stupid money, they aren't worth more than say £20 each, if that).

Each video contains 4 programs (so 8 in all) and they are the short 15 minute angling shows presented by Bernard Venables (aka Mr. Crabtree). Classic 1960's shows. Not APFA by any means, but wonderful viewing for those wanting a bit of nostalgia.

For a taster - my favourite is the grayling episode - Reg Rhygini and Herbert Normington (whoever he was) driving up to fish the River Wharfe (I think they park their old red Austin outside the Red Lion hotel at Burnsall). Reg goes one way to fly fish while Herbert trots worm. And both meet up later where they cook and eat their grayling catch on the bank! Classic stuff!

Other "classic" videos I'd recommend are the Hugh Falkus "Salmo The Leaper", and "Tom's River" (the life of a river keeper).

And there is a connection between "Tom's River" and APFA I believe. Tom's assistant (Mike) took over from Tom as river keeper when he retired. And Mike is the same guy who rows Chris and Bob into position on the Kennet when they go Barbel fishing (the bit with the conkers!).

I know FAR too much for my own good...

• 4 years later...
anyone ever watched this truly magnificant show ?

ive watched it again and again with my grandad who is also an angler

its such an amazing video and chris yates and bob james make it even better, two lovely men .

but lets not forget the camera man hugh miles, what an amazing man he is

i believe this show reminds us all of what angling really should be, fun, and at one with nature

they are now showing re runs of episodes on uk discovery home and leisure for the next few days

i recommend watching

its on at 7 - 8 or on the plus an hour home and leisure channel 8 - 9

<small>[ 22. September 2004, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: leedsunited ]</small>

Strange coincidence! I just watched a couple of the programmes from my copies of the videos. Happy days those were. Made in 1993, it evokes memories of the 1950's for me every time I watch it.

Good Stuff. :thumbs:

Knowledge is being aware that tomatoes are a fruit; Wisdom is not putting them in a fruit salad.

John :)

I got the 'Passion For Angling' videos for £8. The first 5 minutes of each video is a bit wobbly because they've been started probably 100s of times without them being watched all the way through so those parts are a bit worn but the rest is fine. Bargain I reckon and they look cool amongst my video collection.

....Andy....

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I got the 'Passion For Angling' videos for £8. The first 5 minutes of each video is a bit wobbly because they've been started probably 100s of times without them being watched all the way through so those parts are a bit worn but the rest is fine. Bargain I reckon and they look cool amongst my video collection.

....Andy....

Andy,

You'll have to think about transferring those to DVD. New VHS recorder/players are getting scarce and second-hand usually need repairs.

I had two sets of these videos, when a friend left me his copies. So of course I got rid of one set! Trouble was, I think I disposed of the 'signed' copies by mistake!

I had the accompanying books, so one of those must've gone too, as I can't find the second one! Oh well, One's enough

I've been watching them all week, when the Missus goes out shopping.. Trouble is, I have to stop them and go pick her up from Asda all every other afternoon!

:D

Knowledge is being aware that tomatoes are a fruit; Wisdom is not putting them in a fruit salad.

John :)

I could watch it/copy it every week on Discovery Shed anyway but they box set looks nice....and my video player isn't that old. It's one of those Video/DVD dual jobs.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

• 3 months later...

I have just purchased APFA on DVD as my video version had seen the light of day, I also purchased a copy of Caught in Time, I hope this becomes a series because I enjoyed the first instalment (even though it dates back to 2003).

Mark