A Pic A Day

poledark

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Credit to Jan who shot these. I just get to post them. The praying mantis has to be my favorite bug and this big gal is in her Fall coat (back is green during summer). She is around 4 inches long in the main body.

Reminds me very much of one I had when I was lots younger. I had a tank with a very nice lizard and I would bring it live meals several times a week. I caught a mantis about this size (maybe half the length of the lizard) and decided it would make a great meal. I dropped the mantis into the tank and rather than it's usual stalking behavior, the lizard froze. The mantis proceeded to slowly walk over, grab the lizard at head and tail ends with those nice pincer arms, and munch on it like you would an ear of corn. Took two sittings as I remember but the mantis ate the whole lizard in a couple of days.

mantis_1.jpg

mantis_2.jpg

mantis_3.jpg

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Was sleeping rough in Greece many years ago, when hitching around Europe and woke up with a mantis sitting on my chest, made me jump I can tell you!

dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

Just taken this shot 30mins ago from my back garden. Normally it's like Beirut round here at this time of the year, but the local chavs would pick this year to behave themselves just when I get a new camera!!!!!

DSC_0835.jpg

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.