Tate Modern 'White Boxes'

Tog

UK-Fishing-Tackle.co.uk:

Take the Mona Lisa - a picture that really most good counterfeit painters could reproduce in a few days to a near exact standard I'd of thought

To draw a comparison with another medium, to say that a tribute band can reproduce the original band's output "to a near exact standard" is not a fair comparison, as the tribute band are merely copying and not *creating*.

[ 13. October 2005, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: DavyR ]

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting comparison. Allegedly, there are people out there who listen to the likes of Captain Beefheart's "Trout Mask Replica" album and profess to enjoy it.

Now for me, that album has about as much merit as anything ever done by Tracey Emin (ie. NONE) but they seem to like it.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Interesting comparison. Allegedly, there are people out there who listen to the likes of Captain Beefheart's "Trout Mask Replica" album and profess to enjoy it.

Now for me, that album has about as much merit as anything ever done by Tracey Emin (ie. NONE) but they seem to like it.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Ken L:

Is this of more value because you said it twice??

Nope, Just that my hand started trembleing at the very thought of the aural assault that is "Trout Mask Replica"

There are a couple of tracks on TMR (yes, I'm afraid I did buy it) that I like, and a lot of self-indulgent tosh. I think I last played it, ooh, three years ago.

Corydoras, I'm not sure that people object to abstract art, I think they just draw a line between what they consider to be "creating something" and what they consider to be "putting some things in a gallery".

So if I were to lay a turd on the bar of a pub, it would be 'art' because people would talk about it??

(As long as I meant it to be a statement about the ale's merit??)

I don't have a problem with most modern 'art' I can see merit in melted clocks etc. But the likes of Mssss Emin and Mr Pickle Jar?????

Steve W - re: the monkeys - Qty required, A Cabinet's worth? or a Parliment's??

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

Steve Walker:

Corydoras, I'm not sure that people object to abstract art, I think they just draw a line between what they consider to be "creating something" and what they consider to be "putting some things in a gallery".

Like I said before, that kind of stuff is called 'installation art', I have difficulty appreciating it too.

[ 14. October 2005, 01:05 PM: Message edited by: corydoras ]

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Tog:

So if I were to lay a turd on the bar of a pub, it would be 'art' because people would talk about it??

Depends on how they looked at it. To me it would probably " Bloody hell! Tog's shat in the pub again" :D However, if I were to stand and study how the light played on the angles or how the shadows formed then I would find it as being art, just like the boxes, which I find quite interesting.