Luncheon meat

terryk

What's the best way to hook luncheon meat, other than on a hair? I've heard it said if you put cubes on meat in the microwave for 30 secs, then freeze them, when ready for use they are slightly rubbery, and stay on the hook better.

Terry

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

straight from the tin (although not taking the tin to the bank bag it up before use)

either cut into cubes and push the hook through the meat then turn the hook round on itself and press back in to the meat or roughly ripped apart place into a plastic freezer bag and a add a cap full of flavouring/additives and shake for a bit! casting meat with no hair rig is quitetricky as it doesnt stay on the hook very well, you can look to bag it up in PVA bags as the oil content wont melt the PVA (or at least thats what i am lead to believe )

www.stoneyandfriends.co.uk

An old trick but nontheless effective for it's age, is to push the hook through the bait, then place a piece of grass stalk through the exposed gape & pull the hook back into the meat.

Trim the stalk to the width of the meat & you will be surprised at how much support that gives the meat without hindering the hooking capabilities.

I have read that some anglers use pasta to support the meat as it goes soft after a while in the water, sounds good as well.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

I use a combination of the "piece of spaghetti under the bend" and selecting a firm meat.Some brands are a lot better(firmer) than others.At the monent Ive got a supply of "Bacon Grill" from Liddels.This is both cheap and firm.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I remember reading about some folks who cut it into cubes and then 'fry' the cubes in a dry skillet for a short while to put a tough skin on it.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

peter mccue:

An old trick but nontheless effective for it's age, is to push the hook through the bait, then place a piece of grass stalk through the exposed gape & pull the hook back into the meat.

Trim the stalk to the width of the meat & you will be surprised at how much support that gives the meat without hindering the hooking capabilities.

I do the same as Peter using a grass stalk

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

Hi Guys (and gals), not quite on the "how to hook luncheon meat" thread but I've heard a rumour that Spam are to launch a new product, Spam & balck pepper.

Should be good (barbel especially) - has anybody heard anything about this? Is it available?

Cheers, Peter