What is a skimmer & how did the name originate?

HERUTILUS

I like skimmers. Fishing for them with light pole gear is great fun. Like all smaller species though, when they turn up en masse when your mind is on bigger things they can be very, very annoying!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This skimmers jumping out of the water seems a new phenomenon. I have only really seen it at commercials and I have been told is a result of all the high protein food that is being fed to carp being hoovered up by the skimmers. I suppose there could be some truth in it :unsure:

I think the name was originally given to them by the matchmen that used to fish the open matches on the big fenland drains in the 1970's. As they were fishing wagglers at long distance for bream they could save a bit of time by dragging small ones up to the top and then skimming them in on their sides really fast across the surface. I suppose if you only pole fish it might seem an odd name because they come in completely differently.

I suppose if you only pole fish it might seem an odd name because they come in completely differently.

Not fishing a short pole to hand, they skim then!

When I first heard of a skimmer, back in the 70s, it meant a bream of a few ounces.

I've heard bream of 2lb being called skimmers now.

I hope it wasn't one of these that you 'misplaced' Janet. :o;)

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I hope it wasn't one of these that you 'misplaced' Janet.

:o :o :o

I'm not quite that well endowed John!

You men have an unfair advantage - you can just take your tops off and give them a shake when you lose something! I have been known to come home and find maggots, groundbait and the occasional feed pellet lurking.

The worst time was when I was wearing a body (long t-shirt that fastens between the legs) and had a slight argument with a catapult full of maggots - there were other anglers nearby, and nowhere to dive for cover. I had to spend all day squirming knowing that there were wriggly things in my underwear....

Janet

is it because they bounce across the surface better than roach when you skim them?

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

:o :o :o

I'm not quite that well endowed John!

You men have an unfair advantage - you can just take your tops off and give them a shake when you lose something! I have been known to come home and find maggots, groundbait and the occasional feed pellet lurking.

The worst time was when I was wearing a body (long t-shirt that fastens between the legs) and had a slight argument with a catapult full of maggots - there were other anglers nearby, and nowhere to dive for cover. I had to spend all day squirming knowing that there were wriggly things in my underwear....

Janet

I'm glad to hear it was only a little 'un Janet.

But if you think skimmer slime is bad, you should try weighing in 40 or 50 eels in a match.

When the eels were plentiful, (especially on the tidal R Wharfe), drawing the scales ticket was a nightmare. I've had to weigh double figure eel catches, with the eels averaging 4/5 to the pound.

The small pan scales we used to use were never big enough, and I've ended up with eels in my waders, pockets, up my sleeves and once inside my shirt! :yucky:

'Celebs' in the jungle, get paid for doing that!

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

but until you've had to try and get bream slime off your bra, you haven't lived!

I know what you mean Janet.............................Ive seen quite a few German vidios!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!