A View from the Water's Edge

Chris Plumb

Chris, I hate to swim against the current here, but what are your motives for writing this?

If you're trying to add to the wealth of angling literature, I'm afraid your writing is cliched and a bit one-dimensional for my taste.

Has anything interesting happened on your angling exploits? If so, I've missed it.

Sorry to be the party-pooper, but I find it dull.

Fenboy

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fenboy:

Chris, I hate to swim against the current here, but what are your motives for writing this?

Plenty on here would ask the same of you and this post, Fenboy.

I think Chris writes simply because he enjoys it. His readers seem to appreciate his efforts, too. No better 'motive' required, surely?

Terry

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

here here Terry

but no - wait a minute - no-one can enjoy reading it surely - not if Mr I'm SOOO f***ing perfect and your all s**t, don't like it :D

what a guy

keep it coming Mr Plumb

[ 09. August 2004, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: awaaar ]

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

Just my opinion. Sorry it wasn't as eloquently expressed as your own, awaaar.

My motive, Terry, was puzzlement. After reading it through, I wondered where it was going. Is it just someone's personal angling diary, or am I missing the point here?

Sorry to have caused any offence.

Fenboy

fenboy:

Is it just someone's personal angling diary, or am I missing the point here?

That'll be a double affirmative there, Fenboy.

All the best.

Terry

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

Chris Plumb:

I have kept an angling log since the age of 9. This has been a simple record of places fished, captures made, weights, baits, methods and a summary of the conditions. More recently this has been augmented with more of a diary. This season with Elton’s permission (hopefully) I’d like to share my season as it unfolds on this forum.

Chris

I thought you said you'd read it through Fenboy. :rolleyes:

I did read it through, John. But it didn't do it for me. Sorry if I caused offence. The fact that the vast majority of readers like it should be reason enough for you to continue and forget about the critical minority (me).

You have to be thick-skinned to write. Luckily I am.

Best of luck with both your fishing and your diaries.

Fenboy

The reason I find it helpful is that it's local to me and helps me to get realistic ideas about what can be achieved on some of the waters I fish. You sometimes hear comments like 'the Kennet's a dead loss nowadays, better to fish the lakes'; but hearing how Chris, who knows the waters round here well, is getting on puts these kind of comments into perspective. I also found a recent thread on 'fishing around Newbury' (or some such title) involving several anglers very useful. Of course, that's not going to be much help to those souls who live in more peripheral sectors of the universe, but there's nothing to stop others doing the same thing - indeed, people do from time to time.

john clarke

Jeez - go away for a week and come back to a flaming!! A pity really as I've always found myself nodding in agreement whenever I've read one of Fenboy threads and wonder at why you've gone on the attack at a thread that was put to bed back in March when it should be obvious that I've not repeated the exercise on AN this season. Oh hum - I don't want to start a big debate if you didn't like it fine - I won't lose any sleep - it was never meant to be great literature - just a diary!

Chris

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog