interesting relatives

squidlips

my dads dad won the Victoria cross ww1 , its in edinburgh castle on display , don't know what he was awarded it for some thing very brave i expect.

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Father was in a skiffle group with John Lennon before he formed the quarrymen, tea chest bass the lot. He had a guitar that he eventually swapped for a radio, which his Father (my grandfather) told him he could play better

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

Steve Randles:

My Father was in a skiffle group with John Lennon before he formed the quarrymen,

Well, if we are going down that route, my sister once went out with the drummer of the Kinks, before they were the Kinks. They were called the Ravens then and used to play at Crouch End Rec, the drummer in question left before they made it as the Kinks. :D

Andrew Boyd:

Most of those with intresting pasts now live in Australia !!

I mention no names ( Chevin ).

Oooooo, please tell me more! :):)

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

pumphypete:

my dads dad won the Victoria cross ww1 , its in edinburgh castle on display , don't know what he was awarded it for some thing very brave i expect.

You expect??? Take great pride in your Granddad's achievment. You don't get VCs in packets of cornflakes. He probably won it in an attempt to preserve the lives of a number of his mates.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

pumphypete:

Which of the Scottish VC winners was your grandfather?

A relative of mine was one of the crew of the Herald of Free Enterprise, which capsized outside Zeebrugge. They survived.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

There are nine VCs displayed in Edinburgh Castle, two of which are relevant. George Thompson won his during WW2 and William Speakman won his in Korea. Details are here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Thompson

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Speakman

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

argyll:

There are nine VCs displayed in Edinburgh Castle, two of which are relevant. George Thompson won his during WW2 and William Speakman won his in Korea. Details are here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Thompson

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Speakman

But pumphypete said that his grandfather won his in WW I which makes all of those on display at Edinburgh Castle relevant surely? Or have I got the wrong address?

DUNSIRE, Robert [migrated by Mike Chapman] 1915; Hill 70, France

ELCOCK, Roland Edward [migrated by J.N. Houterman] 1918; Capelle St. Catherine, France

McGREGOR, David Stuart [migrated by J.N. Houterman] 1918; Hoogemolen, Belgium

McIVER, Hugh [migrated by J.N. Houterman] 1918; Courcelle-le Compte, France

PROSSER, Joseph [migrated by Gavin Hunter] 1855; Sebastopol, Crimea

REYNOLDS, Henry [migrated by J.N. Houterman] 1917; Frezenberg, Belgium

ROBSON, Henry Howey [migrated by J.N. Houterman]

[ 25. September 2005, 01:25 PM: Message edited by: chevin ]