My Pole

leedsunited

I had a pole given to me last year. Used it once.

I think i'd like to do some more pole fishing this season but i have a few questions.

Can somone explain how to make your own pole rigs, or give me a link to a site that does ?

What is all the equipment i need to make my own pole rigs ?

What are top sections ? I hear people talking about them, but i don't know what they are ? If someone could give me a lesson on pole fishing jargon i would appreciate it !

I haven't got any top sections or whatever for this pole, just the pole with a strong elastic in it put in last year. I don't know if it is a well known pole i will check later for the brand name.

Given what i have said, do you think i should get a new pole or carry on with the one i have ?

Thanks

[ 25. May 2005, 06:35 PM: Message edited by: leedsunited ]

All i can say is with all fishing. Keep it simple thats all. Those shot by dinsmores are the best thing to happen in fishing since maggots. Twist put it on your line and squeeze. exellent dont know what they are called but they are good.

Fishing a pole for general use, make sure that you have number 10 elastic which is strong enough to see the odd biggish Carp off, yet soft enough not to "bump off" the smaller fish.

With poles weight plays a big part as well as quality. I have a pole which weighs only 660g at 11 metres, but be warned they are expensive (mine cost £400.00!).

Making up your own rigs is relatively easy. Go to your local tackle shop who will explain all.

You do need an Italian unpronouncable bit of kit to get the correct shot for the float. I use one line straight through although a lot of anglers use a ready made hook length at a lower BS

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Leeds

A few answers.

There is no difference between a pole rig and any other float rig they are just a float some line,weight and a hook. The floats will be smaller and almost always attached top and bottom but thats all. Contrary to popular belief you will be better off making your rigs at the water side to begin with. This way you can tailor the rig to the water. Once you know what works on the water you fish then make up a few but its simply a time saving exercise usefull but not essential.

There is no equipment needed to make pole rigs if you want to do it at home you can just guess the shot needed and fine tune it on the bank. If you want to be precise at home a large bucket will do though you can get a neutral density device but I wouldnt bother unless you are going to start carrying hundreds of rigs. ( I do carry about 200 rigs and still dont find a need for one)

As for top sections you do have one. The top section is just what it says the top three (usually)sections of the pole. Most pole anglers have more than one so that they can have a choice of rigs or elastic strengths available whilst fishing.

A word of warning if the elastic has been in the pole for a while check it for wear and replace it if it apears worn. What toreplace it with will depend on what you want to fish for but if I had to do all my fishing with one elastic it would be an 8. Strong enough to tame larger fish if there are no snags and light enough for the smaller fish.

As for getting a new pole try the one you have and see if you like pole fishing first. Whatever you do dont get put off by the Jargon, pole fishing is just about the simplest way of fishing.

[ 26. May 2005, 09:19 AM: Message edited by: A Worm On One End........ ]

Get yourself a copy of bob nudds guide to pole fishing (or something like that) published by emap.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

It's "Bob Nudd's Illustrated Guide to Pole Fishing", ISBN 0953308715

Also "My way with the pole" by Tom Pickering is very good, if a little old now (pub. 1989), don't have my copy to hand so haven't got the ISBN.

Will

[ 26. May 2005, 10:29 AM: Message edited by: Will Wilkinson ]

Nuddys book will answer all your questions, for someone in your position it's brilliant.

I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow - creature, let me do it now, let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.