Two pretty birds having a bath

poledark

PairRedpolls552.jpg

Well they are very pretty aren't they? :D

Den

[ 06. July 2004, 10:24 AM: Message edited by: poledark ]

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

the one at the bottom looks like it's been fighting

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

Sorry Tyke, they are Redpolls, Male and Female,

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

Well, they're your birds Den and your pics but check the ID carefully.

from Collins Bird Guide

Redpoll - identification - small yellowish finch type bill

Linnet - identification - short grey bill

The light patch above and below the eye and the grey head of the male at the bottom of the pic also points to Linnet

Cheers chaps, I shall have to amend my list of "Birds in my Garden"

The farmland that backs on to my house is part of the scheme whereby a 6 metre strip is to be left uncultivated to allow the spread of wild birds so hopefully I shall be seeing many more different ones.

Saw my first swallows a while back, they settled on the power cable and I got a good look through the bins. Never realised that they had "ginger" chests.

"Old Len" the retired farmhand who lives next door but one, reckons he has probably never seen one before, and he worked as a farmhand for all his working life, 51 years!!!

Den

[ 08. July 2004, 10:56 PM: Message edited by: poledark ]