Rick Stein fishing for Pike tonight...

bingo

GlennB:

GlennB:

lets do it glenn! dinner round at mine one day

Mixed riverfish grill?

Pike steaks and perch fillets with gudgeon à la Crème starter?

mais oui monsieur!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shame they didn't catch one on camera but that's fishing, ain't it?! :D

I must say I was expecting Rick to be fishing with some old guy with old tackle etc but the guy had a fish finder on his little boat!

Plus the French guy doesn't eat the fish he catches and normally returns them! Unheard of!

I ate pike once in France when I was about 12 and I was in my "I don't like fish" phase but it was a revelation. Very tasty indeed.

The best time to fish is when you have a chance.

zedhead:

dave, better climate and catfish, better health service but a corrupt legal system, hardly any traffic but dirt tracks instead of tarmac and under developed in terms of understanding environmental issues and conservation,

hi zed the only dirt tracks are in the countryside where, they are meant to be!

we have a huge program of wind energy. i read recently that spain is second in the world with the amount of energy produced by wind power. in 9 years from now it will be illegal to build a house that doesnt have its own solar energy system.

the diversion of the river ebro waters was cancelled last year because of the effect it would have on the ebro delta,the water which we all need here so badly, is to be produced by desalination plants instead.

i dont understand your comment about the legal system?its based on napoleonic law here, which is different from the u.k and sometimes leads to confusion with people from the u.k comparing it to there.i was working with the guardia civil today, translating for a scots bloke who had been trying to stab his father!!! guilty as +++++, shall we say! :D:D all in all though its a great place to live! :D

cheers best wishes dave.

I had a pike of about 5lb last year that took a lure. Althoughit didn't swallow the hooks, they were a fair way down and on removing them (they wern't oversized and didn't even have particularly big barbs), the fish began bleeding heavily. It was 10 minutes before I was going home so I knocked him on the head and after a quick seach on the net for instructions on how to remove the "Y-Bones", he was fileted, skinned, cut into slices, covered with breadcrumbs and dipped in tartar sauce.

Very nice he was too - but I wouldn't make a habbit of killing and eating pike because with more and more predator anglers on the bank, there would be no pike left if everyone did it.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I heard Rick Stein descibe the Zander as a cross between a pike and a perch.

Havn't heard that one for years, although thats how they were descibed in all the books years ago :)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

zedhead:

jeeps, you'll be fine with i pike out of the avon, id only consider eating pike from a clean river. Gord burton says its the finest fish hes ever eaten, but that was in canada.

Have to say, the best fish I've ever eaten was perch. Caught in a low salinity area of the Baltic and immediately hot-smoked by the waterside over juniper twigs. Fantastic.

i've had horse too, served very rare, was interesting! i was in normandy, dining with a 90 something year old french woman, she chose the restaurant, chose the wine, so i figured i'd let her chose my food (though i did have an idea what she'd chose;)) she was surprised i was willing to go for it, especially to have it bleu (very rare) i'm not sure i'd have it again, but i enjoyed it

I think i prefer Bass, cod or something from the sea.It might be a mental thing but i think of most fresh waterways as being dirty.Obviously i would eat fish from places like the Lakedistrict the highlands of Scotland and such where the air is fresher and the rivers have'nt accumalated as much pollution.I would'nt fancy eating from the river Douglas for example no matter how clean they say it is now.I know everthing runs into the sea but at least it's a bit more diluted.

Tigger.