Spectacle wearers and polaroids

Rusty

What with having to wear varifocal specs all of the time now and not wanting the hassle of flip-ups I’ve resigned myself to not being able to spot fish with polaroids.

It’s never bothered me until I bumped into a chap wearing a pair of these (he was fishing, it wasn’t just in the street you understand);

http://www.sportfish.co.uk/product/cocoon-sunglasses

He let me try them out and I couldn’t believe the difference. They fit straight over my glasses so I can still tie knots and see at distance. The impressive bit is that they didn’t let any light in around the sides either.

I’d like to buy a pair but wondered if other wearers have recommendations for polaroids which fit over specs.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tigger

Polaroids are great but I can't recommend those as I don't wear specks underneath. I have some ESP and Loop polaroids, just cheap ones as I'm forever loosing them.....even with a lanyard ! I'd have thought the flip up ones would have been best attached to your normal giggs.

I have a pair of polaroid bifocals made for use when fishing or driving. Varifocals like my regular glasses would be nice but I opted for bifocals since they were cheaper.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Having tried flip ups on my glasses I decided to get a proper pair of prescription varifocal polaroids and to be honest I am glad that I did as they are excellent. It was even better as I got a good deal on buy one get one free so the change from my normal glasses to the polaroids is straight forward as they are the same apart from the lenses. I personally think that if you wear glasses all the time the extra expense is well worth it as your eyes do not have become accustomed to something different.

Having tried flip ups on my glasses I decided to get a proper pair of prescription varifocal polaroids and to be honest I am glad that I did as they are excellent. It was even better as I got a good deal on buy one get one free so the change from my normal glasses to the polaroids is straight forward as they are the same apart from the lenses. I personally think that if you wear glasses all the time the extra expense is well worth it as your eyes do not have become accustomed to something different.

I use clip ons, I inquired at a high street opticians (where they say 'you should have gone to'), about having polarised varifocals made and the cost was going to be tremendous (could have bought a new boat).

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

I bought a pair of polarised glasses as a second 'free' pair when I got my last pair of varifocals.

Fortunately, my distance vision isn't too bad, so I have a non-prescription pair with yellow lenses for low light conditions.

I used to buy clip-ons but as I wear frameless specs they aren't approriate now.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

Its an absolute nightmare isnt it! Ive tried loads of different "combinations" but my preference at the moment is for bi-focal with flip up clip ons. I dont mind wearing glasses as such its just the on off routine when you are using several pairs at once!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

It isn't the sun and glasses which cause me problems, I find the clip ons ok, it's the rain, my rods are like magic rain sticks, when I get them out it pours and I have to take the giggs off. to change tackle I have to withdraw to the boat cuddy and dry 'em out.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

I bought this prescription set from Catch Pro

They have a prescription part which is clipped to the frame and your three different filters clip on the front. They can also flip up. The dark grey filter is good for strong sunlight, dark brown for the usual sunlight we get in Britain and yellow for evening or low light.

They can make your prescription when they take your order or they send a "Blank" which you can take to your own opticians. I did both...simply because I paid extra for them to do my prescription at first but they came back dodgy! I dont blame them, my prescription is difficult anyway. I then emailed Catch Pro and paid £5 for a "Blank", took it to Specsavers and they put my prescription on it perfectly in a week.

They seem to be fine and I like being able to change the filter depending on the light conditions.

£39.99 with no prescription added

£79.99 with standard prescription

£104.99 for Bifocals

They dont do Varifocal but if you get the £39.99 and take the blank to your own opticians they may be able to do it.