This won't sit well with some

Newt

It might have been better if the US had reacted to the Tsunami disaster with atleast the same enthusiasm as they have within the various war zones that they have created.

Iraq is destined to become another Vietnam. The mess will be created, but who clears up the aftermath?

The world is not a military plaything for the super rich.

In the meantime good, honest sons of England and America are dying alongside countless innocent victims in a war that is none of our business.

[ 16. January 2005, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My nephew, an ex soldier, has just been called up. I just hope he all his fellow soldiers don't get end up at the wrong end of some friendly fire.

quote:

And the French fought bravely against Nazi Germany while the US sold arms to the Fascist powers in the early part of the war.

Hmmm. I'm not familiar with that version of history. :confused:

The history books I've read have described material and financial aid given to Britain despite the fact that America was not at war with Germany, which greatly angered Hitler and likely caused him to declare war on the US in the aftermath of Pearl Harbor.

Britain was no fascist dictatorship. Which powers do you refer to?

Be good and you will be lonely.
~ Mark Twain

"honest sons of England and America "

Peter,

So I take it there have been no Scots soldiers killed then ?????? wonder where the Black Watch was then..!!!!

[ 16. January 2005, 10:14 PM: Message edited by: Norrie ]

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Sorry Norrie! My old Scots Nan will turn in her grave. All my other posts refer to Brits, Scots included, honest! If I'd been even more specific I would have refered to the Suffolks who were trapped in Burma and suffered horrically at the hands of the japs.

Hi Peter, Not a prob, just thought for a minute there.. ...My Uncle Lesley was a prisoner of the Japs for years , caught after the fall of Singapore......he had an awful time, was a member of the Star of Burma Brigade till he died last year....and still had the Kepi he wore throughout his captivity....

[ 16. January 2005, 11:22 PM: Message edited by: Norrie ]

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

It was my Uncle Jack who was out there, member of the Suffolk Regiment. Little over four stone on release. Fattened up in India before coming back to the UK, at six stone. He kept two things from captivity, a photo of my Aunt, and a jap head scarf affair of the rising son. He survived by lugging Australians around who had tried to escape and had had their feet cut off. He was doing that when the bomb went off, working in the mines. Saw the flash, had skin cancer all his life. Yes, the japs owe the world.

Licensing agreements existed between US and German companies in the early part of the war. The US government supported Britain but US capital hedged it's bets. If the Axis powers had won the early part of the war then the US would have been left totally isolated. How long before you would have had a sympathetic government and a positive eugenics policy?

My comment about the US owing the Japanese refers to the fact that the US is running a huge budget deficit at the moment.

Unless Bush decides to balance the budget the rest of the world will have to continue to buy US Treasury bonds to support the currency.

A big sell would send the US spinning down the tubes, it is not very likely as we would follow them down

The US Neutrality Acts of 1936(?) forbade the sale of armaments to what were termed 'belligerents' ie anyone involved in a war, civil or otherwise. They could sell them anything else, so long as they did not use US ships to deliver and a trade in non military material continued with Germany. However when a country is at war, basic foodstuffs could be deemed to have a military significance. When war broke out, Roosevelt tried through congress to relax the Act sufficiently so that the US could supply Britain with armaments.

More of interest was a story heard some years ago, that handguns were made for Webley and Scott under licence in Germany by Luger. When war broke out and Holland was still initially neutral, the weapons were passed from the manufacturer to Britain via a broker in Holland. That of course ceased with the invasion of Holland.

[ 17. January 2005, 05:50 PM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'