• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought provoking stuff.

Reminds me of a WW1 soldiers epitaph.

I died for freedom

this I know

for those who bade me fight

told me so.

I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow - creature, let me do it now, let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

heres a few more for his arm newt ,i will leave the flags blank as to how there marked ,i suggest "completed" "in progress" or "abandoned" (had our ass kicked) or "pending" as headings; couldnt find a rising sun flag but as your lot has been involved in 250 "operations" your soldier may need a tad longer arm

af.jpg

cu.jpg

iq.jpg

ir.jpg

kp.jpg

so.jpg

vn.jpg

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

My grandmother lost all 7 of her brothers in WW1, she was the only survivor. My grandfather lost his 3 brothers, but did survive being shot twice, blown up and wounded by shrapnel gased and blinded, also smewhere along the line winning a MM.

He used to say Maginot was german for Welcome.

I have the greatest respect for the people of the US, in general. But I find the soldier picture about as crass and tasteless as that of our Prince William as a nazi.

There are many in Europe who would rather that the US did not do the military work of other nations.

My late father served in the Royal Observer Corps during WW2. He voluntarily served on a US ship and a US Flying Fortress. Once to Russia, once to Normandy. He was in a reserved occupation, and physically unable to join up, yet he went to war and his job was to ensure that US gunners didn't kill Allied service crew. His comment was that even a sparrow was not safe from US gunners.

Seems to me that modern US culture pretty much requires a purpose to let off guns. Why oh why did the US go to war in Vietnam? They were late in WW1 & WW2 but early ever since.

But in truth I go along with the poem beneath the picture. The French have lost their country twice, and twice it has been given it back.

[ 15. January 2005, 11:53 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

My favourite quote of the week came from a young American who was the proud possesor of an 11 mpg gas guzzler.

"We own Iraq so why ain't gas 30 cents a gallon"

Says it all really, we do not know about global warming but adopting a more fuel efficent life style may be an idea while we find out. And it would leave our children with a bit more oil to play with.

Socksy Squirrel:

The US owes vast sums to the Japanese. The Red Tree Scrambler

I would suggest that the japanese also owes the American, the Australian and the British people a great deal more. Pearl Harbour and Singapore immediately spring to mind on this one.

[ 16. January 2005, 11:08 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

Two things.....one related.. one unrelated, that shows american foreign policy for the farce that it really is.

1 It would have had some merit if the soldier in the picture had any idea where France, Germany and Russia are on the map. That goes for Iraq (sorry Eyerak), Iran, Grenada and Vietnam too. Most only know that Mexico is to the south and Canada is somewhere to the north. Beyond that most havnt a clue where the rest of the world is. Watched a CNN newsreport with the big map of the world on the wall. The newscaster lost Sri Lanka. ITS THE BIT AT THE BOTTOM OF INDIA.

2 I watched a short interview with Colin Powell last week where the US contribution to the tsunami victims was discussed. Mr Powell remarked that the US wanted to show the muslim world its benevolent side ( or words to that effect) The christians and hindus of Sri Lanka and buddists of Thailand must have wondered whether any of this aid would reach them, So sad that he could not have been just benevolent without a political agenda attached.

It will be most interesting to see how Bush and Bliar detach themselves from the turmoil that they have created in Iraq. For sure when they do go, an Iranian backed civil war will eventually follow with every chance that a non friendly government will eventually be in power. The longer it goes on the more it seems France, Germany, Russia and the others all made the right choice.

[ 16. January 2005, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'