Another new reel project

Worms

look at the bits in this one and the reels awaiting its attention above (or below i havnt a clue)

the first picture was a 60's one (the gears from a elite) the second from the 80's ,i have a report somewhere of the later machines in use which as Den mentions are well above what us normal humans can afford i bet.

heres the report of the later machines

http://www.engineeringtalk.com/news/chi/chi109.html

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No need for most parts for any reel to be expensive, or machined. Modern die casting produces components to nil tolerance, and a multi reel main frame doesn't need anything like that accuracy.

I was given a lesson on modern CAD design recently....a few dimensions on the PC..click, and then a 3D object appears. This little programme can then be sent anywhere in the world, downloaded and fed into a machine, and the moulds and parts produced exactly as designed. Is that how the Okumas are made, or are they machined from solid?

We amateurs have to do it that way, not having access to the software and machinery, that stuff is VERY expensive.

Nick, here is page two (bit of trumpet blowing :) )

Den

Cracking stuff Den, got any left?

Funnily enough, the other thread on my 12 spoke has sprung to life recently, as you know, and this subject of amateur design and manufacture has cropped up on there.

As you know, modern methods just knock us out of the window when it comes to marketing kit unless we either sell our ideas or mortgage everything and pit ourselves against the big boys.

That looks like some fascinating archive info that you've got there Chesters, thanks for sharing it and keep it safe!

Nick.

Edited by Worms

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

look at the bits in this one and the reels awaiting its attention above (or below i havnt a clue)

the first picture was a 60's one (the gears from a elite) the second from the 80's ,i have a report somewhere of the later machines in use which as Den mentions are well above what us normal humans can afford i bet.

heres the report of the later machines

http://www.engineeringtalk.com/news/chi/chi109.html

I'm fairly sure that the reels in the picture are System 2 fly reels.

I have a couple, good reels in their day.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I was given a lesson on modern CAD design recently....a few dimensions on the PC..click, and then a 3D object appears. This little programme can then be sent anywhere in the world, downloaded and fed into a machine, and the moulds and parts produced exactly as designed. Is that how the Okumas are made, or are they machined from solid?

Den

Looking on the Okuma website it appears that they are machined from solid

http://www.okuma.com.au/Okumahome/show_one...d=240&tech=

I'm fairly sure that the reels in the picture are System 2 fly reels.

I have a couple, good reels in their day.

The top of the range multipliers (Makaira) have billet frames but forged endplates and spools.

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Looking on the Okuma website it appears that they are machined from solid

http://www.okuma.com.au/Okumahome/show_one...d=240&tech=

blimey the cost must be high ,all that waste metal shards ,if its a solid bit of round metal your removing probably 80%? and chucking it in the waste

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

blimey the cost must be high ,all that waste metal shards ,if its a solid bit of round metal your removing probably 80%? and chucking it in the waste

You can get extruded tube in the HE30 alloys which is probably what they use for the frames, the reason for having to add forged end plates. If machined from billet you can leave one end as an end plate and increase strength dramatically!

I used the tube for the frames on my reels. I also did a couple of ABU 7000 conversions with solid frames.

I don't suppose any of my reels survive, but maybe the 7000 jobbies do...they were good :)

The only trouble with making one end plate integral with the frame is a question of access for spool changing and if the line goes between the spool and frame (and it will one day ).

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Woo hoo! I've found a cheaper stainless bearing that can take the loads that I require!

A mere £96.33 each :(

Den,

As a matter of interest I put the spool back in the lathe between centres last night and clocked the rims.

0.00025" distortion!.....I can live with that :)

Edited by Worms