Another new reel project

Worms

That's it then!

The reel foot was fashioned out of a bit of aluminium alloy tube. A slow taper was turned on both ends and then the tube was split (junior hacksaw) to give me a section approximately 1/3 of the original circumference. A bit of dressing and testing on a rod and it was drilled and counter-bored to take to 4BA nickel silver screws. The holes were lined up to the reel foot extension on the backplate, marked, drilled and tapped. With the foot fitted I marked around the foot of the foot (?), then I removed it and dressed the mounting with files and 'emery' paper.

A quick rough polish of the spool and backplate in the lathe with some worn 1800 wet and dry, a spray with some carburettor cleaner to remove any grease and a final dunk in the Aldi ultrasonic cleaner with warm water, washing up liquid and lemon juice, a dry and re-assembly with some Wahl beard trimer oil!

I've matched it to one of my Priory of Bournemouth barbel taper ledger rods in the pictures below (again, my apologies for the Crabtree-esque style :) )

Priorypattern9.jpg

priorypattern92.jpg

pattern9top.jpg

pattern9apart.jpg

Hopefully I'll manage to get out on the Lugg for a bash at some grayling within the next week on a float rod to give it a test before taking it out after the big boys! :clap2:

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The spool locating latch is hidden under the litle cover on the front of the spool. It's essentially a bent bit of 'flatstock' that locates in a groove on the pin. It is held in place by a small spring. It's just a slight modernisation of the older uncovered locking latch called a 'telephone' latch because the shape of it was like a telephone receiver :)

Err, still not sure. I think you mean the little lever that releases the spool. Whatever, it doesn't matter.

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Ah at last I understand! :rolleyes: Ive been a bit confused during this whole build sequence.......now I'm up to speed the spokes are on the inside!!!

I presume you've done it this way to keep crap out of the works? I'm just so slow on the uptake at times Nick! Its embarrassing!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

That's nothing, look wot I made out of old bits of meccano and superglue:

BAS45QDA.jpg

(Lovely reel Worms, I'm very impressed, I wouldn't know where to start!)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Thanks all,

I've got two of that taper Toady, they are cracking rods, three piece 10'9" rods. Sensitive bite detection but real power in the butt and lower half of the mid-section, just where you need it. I've also got a longer, 12'3" float version!

Mike, yep that's the bit!

Budgie, well I made it that way because I was copying (or adapting) the design of the Pattern 9 but yes. It should keep crap out and my guess is that the reel will be slightly stronger than an all spoked reel although slightly heavier (I must weigh it). The internal spokes are just there to locate the central hub. It spins very well at the moment but, from previous experience they take a good few trips to run them in.

Tigger, yours is err....... shall we say, next to the other one you wanted! I've actually run out of alloy now so I'm going to have to make beer buying noises to my 'supplier'! I've also got a multiplier design fizzing around in my head plus a lever drag 'pin.

Anderoo, the amount of big fish that you catch I don't think you need any help!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Ah at last I understand! :rolleyes: Ive been a bit confused during this whole build sequence.......now I'm up to speed the spokes are on the inside!!!

I presume you've done it this way to keep crap out of the works? I'm just so slow on the uptake at times Nick! Its embarrassing!

Me too. I was trying to figure out how it was going to work and wondered whether I should point out a design flaw :D Good job I didn't.

Looks a great piece of kit Nick, look forward to reading the catch reports.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

• 3 months later...

A bit late but this was the first fish, a nice Lugg grayling of 1lb 6oz

1stfishonnewpin1lb6oz.jpg

Oh and by the way, the next project has started!

A break from convention in that this is going to be a multiplying reel for heavyweight boat use. It will be single speed, left hand wind with a rating of about 50lb class using some purchased parts and of course the ubiquitous "aircraft quality" aluminium alloy........pictures to follow as it progresses.