I'm toying with the idea

Colin Brett

of buying an DSLR!!! :unsure: I might add to that that I'm only thinking about it, so come on persuade me.

Anyone got anything they might wish to sell to a poor old pensioner?

I have either a Nikon or Canon in mind!

I bougt a Canon EOS 350D about 4 years ago. I think it is a very good camera for the money (superceded by the 400 now I believe). Some of the main benefits are:

Good battery life (also have a spare)

Easy to use

Flexibility, I now only have three lenses as opposed to about 6 on my old film SLR

Good software

Good pictures

No I havent got one to sell I'm afraid but I would recommend this camera (I ummed and arred for a long time before I took the plunge but I'm glad I did).

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Me neither at the moment. I have an EOS 300d which I will be replacing in the next couple of months, just depends how patient you are... Failing that, look on ebay, keep your bids low and again be patient, I got mine for well under the average price at the time, I just kept bidding on various 300d's and eventually won.

Rob.

On the other hand, Nikon produce some very good DSLR's. Though they're a bit more expensive than the equivalent Canons, you should still be able to pick up a bargain on ebay. If you can stretch to it, the D90 is the first DSLR that can make film clips.

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Canon 500D also shoots hd video footage (upto 1080p although at this setting only at 20fps) body only currently retails for about £550.

Some good canon deals can be found here occasionally, ok they are refurbs but they do come with a 12 month manufacturers warranty.

Edited by snakey1

I have an old 300d but its worth far more to me as a spare body than a few pounds in the bank. I hacked the firmware years ago on that camera so it is essentially a 10D. Eventually I intend to further modify it to take IR photos.

Steve...:)

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

I forgot to say that a Canon 300D is a good camera to buy because its firmware can be hacked and therefore become more flexible than many other cameras of the same money. Not just because I'm a Canon owner myself and as such thats why I recommend it.

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

I forgot to say that a Canon 300D is a good camera to buy because its firmware can be hacked and therefore become more flexible than many other cameras of the same money. Not just because I'm a Canon owner myself and as such thats why I recommend it.

Is it possible to upgrade the 350D?

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

• 4 weeks later...
of buying an DSLR!!! :unsure: I might add to that that I'm only thinking about it, so come on persuade me.

Anyone got anything they might wish to sell to a poor old pensioner?

I have either a Nikon or Canon in mind!

Buy which one you like the look and feel of, it is no good anyone telling you what they do and do not like because it is all personal preference. You will get good quality shots no matter which DSLR you buy, its the glass you shove on the front of it that matters.

I could sit here all day telling you why i use Canon and why i think you should use Canon but thats because i like Canon, whould i be happy if i had bought Nikon? I am guessing yes, i would be very happy.