Aliens

Ken L

I have a fondness for weather, as others have a fondness for bird-watching perhaps.

The processes that stir our atmosphere, bringing gentle warm rain, fierce winds, strange unnerving sunsets, dew sparkling on new spring grass, wraiths of mist rising from a river in a golden dawn, all these and other weather related phenomenon hold my fascination.

So, whenever something unusual is about to happen, I like to grab a grandstand view.

It had been a warm day, in East London, in the late ‘60s, and the clouds had built on the convection currents stirred by the sun and, as evening approached, the clouds had started to exchange electrical charges, bringing flashes of daylight to the dry and deepening gloom.

A kitchen chair, placed out in the garden was grandstand enough for me, as nature kindly revealed her capability for beautiful violence as I sat dry and warm below.

Then to the south I spotted the lights, up there against the dark clouds.

Around five of them, moving in formation.

A changing formation, as they jockeyed for position and I struggled to make sense of them.

No noise, just silent flight, coming my way. Without a source of reference to judge their size, I couldn’t tell how high or how far away they were, or how fast they were travelling.

Not aircraft, of that I was sure. And not lights, but glows.

As the formation changed again, and they came nearer, and my mind grasped for but failed to produce a logical explanation.

In the unnatural gathering gloom lit by lightning flashes, I felt the hair on the back of my neck begin to rise.

They were going to come right over me!

As they passed overhead, I saw the motion of beating wings, and the shapes of seagulls, glowing.

I almost laughed with relief.

Now I’d seen St Elmo’s lights before, but always on the extremities of some object firmly grounded.

I’d never seen, nor have I since seen or heard of birds in flight glowing with some energy obviously obtained from the electrical storm.

Perhaps some form of ball lightening?

Whatever, in any case I was amused by reports a few weeks later of flying crosses in the sky, reported to the police and chased by a patrol car. I think I knew what they were.

I’m also struck by the thought, that had they not passed overhead of me, but passed by a little way away, I would have been quite convinced that I’d seen a squadron of UFOs, flying in close but changing formation.

But even then I’d like to know the scientific explanation of the phenomenon I saw, how rare it is, and what would have happened to the birds as they touched down and grounded their electrical charge!

TL - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"There is more recorded evidence to support the theory of the Existance of Extraterrestrial beings than there is to support the existence of God. If you say you believe in God you are accepted. If you say you believe in ET you are riddiculed"

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

Guest sslatter

I think that if "aliens" were to exist, we're looking in the wrong place for 'em.. or maybe in the wrong way.

I read a book once called "The Ghost of 29 Megacycles" which has since become the seminal book on EVP- Electronic Voice Phenomena.

It's written by two american electronics engineers, and reads very clearly, concisely and scientifically.. it's not at all 'new-agey'. Basically, they stumble upon a voice transmitting on a particular radio frequency, that subsequently starts to tell them how to build a radio that will receive clear transmissions from 'a parallel dimension'. They also write of their subsequent problems with the American Authorities- raids, confiscation of equipment etc. They eventually give up in fear when they try out the voice's instructions for a simple device to receive pictures from this dimension. They wrote that what they saw so frightened them that they immediately stopped everything.

A few years later I found a copy in Worthing Library, which was a later edition, and which had been block censored, which only served to compound the mystery..

Makes a great story.

Don't try it at home..

Guest sslatter

Just had a Google and see that today, the book seems to have been hijacked by the 'life-after-death' brigade, but rest assured that if you can find an early edition, you'll see that the original story had nothing whatsoever to do with 'contacting the dead'.

[Deep breath, preparing to be ridiculed]

When I was about 22 years old (11 years ago now), a bunch of mates and myself had a monster drinking session. Admittedly, we all got pretty spannered on the old grog, to the extent that we thought it would be a laugh to go walkabout at about 2am.

It was a very nice summers night - calm, balmy etc. About 1 mile away from where we lived was a fantastic reservoir (Pitsford, Northants). We all staggered down there and in the end sat on the wall at the dam end just having a yarn.

Now I know I've said that I was pi**ed. And so were my mates. But we all saw the same thing.

I think I saw it first - I could see 5 or 6 lights, rotating very slowly but moving towards us, looking like it was following the track of the bypass road near the village. It stopped about 500 yards from us, lights still rotating round. No engine sound, nothing. Just spinning lights. No cloud, so no lights being reflected from anything. It then went back in the same direction, again no noise.

It was a very sobering moment for all of us. We all saw it. None of us could explain it. We were ******, but we hadn't been on the absynthe. :D

Now I'm not going to be crass enough to proclaim that I've seen an alien spaceship or anything like that. What I can say is that I witnessed something that to this day has never been satisfactorily explained to me. The spinning of the lights and the lack of noise make it difficult to work out.

Any theories gratefully received. :confused:

PS I wasn't abducted and I haven't been placed on this website to check you earthlings and what you talk about to report back to my superiors either. :D

Westie.

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that.

Visit My Photo Gallery

quote:

Do you think that aliens exist? If so, why ? and if not, why not ?

Do you think aliens have ever visited the Earth ?

If a dirty great alien ship were discovered to be settleing into orbit tomorrow, would this be a good thing or a bad thing ? - and why ?

Yes, I do, because I've seen UFOs up close on two separate occasions.

Friday, November 10, 1978 one passed overhead behind my parents home about 11 PM, perhaps 100 feet away from me. It was silent, slow, cigar-shaped, and its white color changed to red and green before it went out of sight over some woods. Others saw it too: it was on the front page of the local newspaper the next morning.

Tuesday, February 16, 1982 I was driving toward Ann Arbor, Michigan about 2 AM on a highway (headed for South Carolina), when we noticed an aircraft ahead over the highway, lights on. A bright headlight came on, and I jokingly remarked to my friend riding with me that it was going to land on the highway. As we passed beneath it, I noticed it wasn't moving, and my friend was gawking at it, mouth agape. We stopped and watched it, perhaps 200-300 feet away. It looked just like an enormous hovercraft, with a large bridge above an inflated portion, with a bright beam coming from the bridge. I slowly meandered off toward the north in lazy half-circles.

I'm not sure exactly what I saw back then, but I can assure you that both events eliminated any scepticism I may have had toward the existance of UFOs. Seeing is believing.

[ 27. November 2004, 03:41 AM: Message edited by: severus ]

Be good and you will be lonely.
~ Mark Twain