Razor Question

Ken L

I used a straight razor for almost 20 years but since I shaved off the goatee, I've slipped back to using a safty razor of the Mach3 persuasion. It's a good razor but with the blades comming in at £7 for 5, it's a bit steep.

Does anyone know if any of the supermarket own brand blades are compatible ?

I spent 20 minutes looking at boxes with absolutely no information in my local Asda last week only to look up and find myself on camera and I think they've got my number.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I can only use Gillettes - others just seem to cut me to ribbons. I bought a load of Wilkinson Sword blades (and I mean a load!) and ended up selling them / giving them away.

Nowadays, mind you, I can make a blade last all month. This recession has taught me a trick or two about being a tightwad!

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Why not just use a proper safety razor.

(not sure what terminology you are using, but a straight razor is a cut throat, and a safety razor doesn't have any fancy numbers just a double edged replaceable blade).

Razors

When it comes to razor blades you really do get what you pay for. I personally use gillette fusion and they are a bit pricey but i can make a pack of four last a month. And i shave my head as well. The most important thing is once you have finished is to give them a good rinse through with hot water Preparing your whiskers properly before shaving is important to. Soak them well with a hot flannel and it softens them and this makes it less wearing on the blades. I can honestly say i haven't cut myself shaving for years. If i was as good a angler than i am at shaving i would be famous lol

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

Had a look at the Tesco's ones today. They only fit their own stems :(

£8 for five heads is b00dy steep !

At this rate I might just go back to the straight (AKA "Cut-throat") razor.

If nothing else, it's always fun to watch the faces in the morning if I use comunal facilities somewhere like a camp ground as people very slowly edge away.....

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

At this rate I might just go back to the straight (AKA "Cut-throat") razor.

Have you bought that recently, Ken, or have you had it since you were a Ted in the 50's? ;)

I can honestly say i haven't cut myself shaving for years.

Nor me !! :lol::lol:

mugshotd.jpg

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Have you bought that recently, Ken, or have you had it since you were a Ted in the 50's?

Nah. I wasn't even a twinkle in the 50's.

This one takes half a saftey razor blade and holds it in a clip.

Variations are used by barbers all over asia as customers not unreasonably expect a fresh blade for each shave. I've tried two or three different styles but the Turkish version is the best for personal use.

I looked at getting a proper one with a stropp but they're hidiously expensive for a decent one and old ones all seem to have been snapped up by someone else.

I use a good quality handle its a Gillette I think, the one where you pinch the head to load and unload blades - but the blades i get from Netto usually for 69p per 5 pack they get them in a couple of times a year and i buy half a dozen packs.

Also can recommend the hot flannel, just run as hot as your hands can stand it water in the sink ,soak then wring out the cloth and wrap round chin. this also cuts down on spots or problems due to germs on freshly sliced skin. :lol:

MOH.gifmynewsiggy.gif

www.electricunclesam.com

An old fashioned shaving brush used with a bar of ordinary soap, and Boots disposables does me.

(I've tried quite a few options, but after an hour or so there's no difference to the look and feel of the face, so why pay a fortune for a really close shave that doesn't stay close for very long at all!)

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust