Carp for the Table - No Way

Dales

Hi All

Maybe I should start this thread with some history, I have a planned cat fish session in August and while thinking about baits I was considering Carp as a dead bait. The lake I plan to fish has Carp in it, so logic dictates that the cats must feed on the small Carp.

I posted a thread on Catfish baits and a big thank you to everyone who added posts, especially Budgie who sent me some top information on fishing for Cats, it was most useful and a very interesting read.

Well I was wondering should I try Carp as a bait, no live baits are allowed at this lake, but with Carp in the water the cats must eat them. Obviously I need to check on whethr I can use Carp as bait. I am not sure what the owner will think if I am cutting up a Carp on the bank. Have I just caught one of his and started to give it the jack the ripper treatment :angry:

So I was thinking if I try Carp, how can I get some with out a sharp blow to the head from the Carp at the fishery. At this point I remembered that I saw Carp on sale at Morrisons super market in Stoke Newington in London. The fist time I saw this I was outraged, seeing 5-8lb Carp on ice. However now I am thinking about Morrisons as a place to pick up Carp as bait.

My post is not about whether Carp dead baits would make good Cat Fish bait, it's more whether you have seen unusual fish on the fish mongers ice or in a supermarket.

This post is not about johnny foreigner eating all our fish, that has been done to death in the press and on the net. I am more interested in how the market has adapted to the change in demand in fish for the table. Has your local supermarket now started to stock fish you all ways thought of as catch and release only?

It would also be interesting if you can now buy coarse fish at a local shop has this changed your view about them. Have you tried Carp now you can buy it at a supermarket?

Have you seen Chub, Wells, Bream, Perch on sale?

Please do not let this thread become bash a foreigner, I am just interested in whether shops have now started to cater for the demand.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the cats may eat a few small carp but i bet they eat boilies meant for their big brothers more ;)

try 22mm fish flavoured boilies soaked in a fish oil and sit back and wait

in london shops have always sold freshwater fish for the ethnic jews and poles etc ,they obviously have a different set of taste buds or a vicious jerk sauce as to me only perch tastes nice and i'v tried all the common varieties ,river fish though have less of a muddy taste than pond fish whatever the species.

i distinctly saw freshwater fish on a school trip to billingsgate in the early 60's so its not a new thing.if you get ethnic minorities in any numbers their food swiftly follows

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Carp have been bred for the table in many countries for centuries. Those you saw in the fish shop may well have been imported. I believe that the reason for carp being in the UK is that monks had them in their "Stew" ponds for their Friday fish. Like Chester though, I would never try to eat them again even though I fish a carp water where those I catch must be killed.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

I don't think moving carp around died or alive is a good idea.

Why what colour should they be? :lol:

Theres been various coarse fish for sale around here for as long as I can remember bith in fishmongers shops and supermarkets so someone must be buying them or they would'nt be selling them and buying more for resale

I remember as a kid sat looking at the bream in the fishmongers window feeling pangs of jealousy as those bream were bigger than anything I'd seen as a kid never mind caught myself

What are the motives behind the objection to others being able to buy freshwater fish in a fishmongers? If the carp, or any other species were to be taken away unautherised from private, club or commercial fisheries then that would be a matter for concern. However if they are reared especially for the culinary trade, then how can it be any more right or wrong than the commercial production of any species of fish, bird or animal?

I find the sight of 'day-glo' pink farmed salmon more appaling than I would a carp on the slab, for there is species which in it's natural form has a famously inbuilt urge to migrate in order to complete it's life cycle, yet is kept in cages which not only impact negatively upon the local environment, but also present a potential disaster to wild populations should they escape. Is it because such salmon so commonly seen that the population is 'ok' with it...if it's 'normal' it's safe , right? no matter what and how it takes to produce?

The argument, 'they (coarse fish) don't taste good, I don't like them, so no one else should be able to get them either' is especially egocentric

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

My local town (Reading) has always had a large Polish population - I remember as a kid (early 1970s :rolleyes: ) seeing bream, roach and carp in the local fish mongers....

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

On the subject of eating carp, i heard, that carp were originally introduced to the UK by monks in the middle ages as a source of food.

So if this is true, the whole basis of carp in the uk is as a food source.

So is it really that unusual eating carp.

Neil