ARE OTTERS SO BAD?

Dales

There was a story in Anglia TV that an Otter had been killed on my local River by an illegal crayfish trapper. they had not added the otter guard and the creature died then was thrown into the river.

I shall look out for trappers during my dawn angling trips here in Beccles

I'm lucky to go fishing everyday (when the FPO allows me)

East Anglian Fishing Forum

http://www.easternanglers.co.uk/

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just heard a good one liner on the BBC's One Show, we should eat that big carp that died. "Benson and Wedges" :bigemo_harabe_net-163:

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Reading West MP Martin Salter has warned fellow MP's of the danger of re-introduing Otters into river systems "without regard to the available food source".

I would have thought it more prudent for an "Angling Spokesman" to be backing such initiatives. Anglers get a bad enough press with out an MP advising against Otter re-introduction. Even if he is correct, it gives the wrong impression to non anglers. I feel people who fish should do as much as possable to help the wider public view our sport in a good light.

I know some people complain they eat fish stocks, but I for one would swap less fish to target for a chance to see an Otter.

The public think Otters are cute and we might as well gain some good PR by backing re-introduction as the alternative is the flood of bad press we would get by objecting.

Re-introductions won't work unless the otters can live there without disturbance. Encouraging them back by not persecuting them, and creating habitat for them to reside in is the answer. I think a large proportion of rivers, particuarly English rivers are too close to urban conurbations to support otters. There numbers are increasing, but unless they are allowed to spread along the river systems they will just succumb to cars as they try to find ways around towns close to rivers.

They will have no noticeable effect upon fish stocks if the stocks are healthy with a good balance of species. Give the choice, otters would go for Salmonids (as we all would), but where they exist they tend to go for eels as they are slower and use less energy to catch than salmonids. Otters always prefer flowing water and suggestions that they might eat a huge carp are unfounded. Otters are not that large and want a smaller easier meal than a large barbel or carp.

I agree that I would happily have an otter on the rivers I fish.

Edited by arbocop

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Sorry for not answering earlier - being a carer is not all beer and skittles - but I have to answer re. the Reepham Fisheries. We were there earlier this year and when we arrived at the fishery we discovered that the lake nearest the chalets was overgrown with reeds, when I asked I was told that the lake had been visited by an otter and the stocks in the lake had been decimated and it had been decided that they would allow the reeds to grow and close the lake temporarily as the fish that were left were "traumatised and terrified". However if I wanted to use the lake go ahead. I did try, but the biggest fish in there was about a pound!

I then noticed that the fencing around the property had the bottom two (three?) strands electrified and was told that it had been supplied by 'the authorities'.

If I misunderstood what they said, I apologise. However, it must be noted that as a commercial fishery they cannot afford bad publicity, but that particular lake affected is not open to the general public and all the other lakes are fine , and productive!

Edited by kleinboet

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Perhaps it's a case of a commercial fishery telling people what they think they want to hear! Tell anglers it's the fault of otters, tell ecologists that it's not a problem and no otters were hurt in the making of this etc. etc. And tell Emma2 something different again. I don't know what Emma2's question was but perhaps something along the lines of is your fishery closed because of a fish/predator/health problem?

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I don't know about anyone else but if a fishery owner told me, "the fish that were left were "traumatised and terrified", I take most of what they said with a large pinch of salt.

It's on a par with, "it likes it picture taken", and "it get caught to see what it's like on the other side".

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I don't know about anyone else but if a fishery owner told me, "the fish that were left were "traumatised and terrified", I take most of what they said with a large pinch of salt.

It's on a par with, "it likes it picture taken", and "it get caught to see what it's like on the other side".

John.

Very true, I was just trying to be diplomatic and unbiased B)

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

John.

I think I'd wet myself laughing. Traumatised and terrified indeed! Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Give the choice, otters would go for Salmonids (as we all would), but where they exist they tend to go for eels as they are slower and use less energy to catch than salmonids.
Otters will eat eels in preference to any other species, salmonids included.

Where do you get he idea that eels are slower than salmonids from?

John.

If the fish were truly "traumatised and terrified" :rolleyes: Surely as a responsable fishery owner they should have bought in a therapist to talk the issue over with the fish and explain their place in the food chain.

You are fish, you are at the bottom. Everything else is going to want to hunt you and eat you. Now pull your self together and get on with your swimming and eating, and don't get all above yourself because you think you are one of the "special ones" because some one has given you a name, you taste just as good as the rest of them and yes some thing will most likely kill you. Live with it.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek