paint! is it true

chesters1

i'v just heard all paint has to be water based from jan 2010 hows does this effect "outside" paints such as metal oxide primers and metal paints (you know the bumpy ones) or for that matter "gloss" type car paints?

any painters or sprayers???

this appears to be the directive?

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUri...99L0013:en:HTML

does this mean lead paint cannot be sold any more ? and are agents coming round to inspect your sheds for now illegal paint :o blimey i had better use those last few gallons of creosote

i'v just emailed Thomsons (of waterseal fame) to see if they are continuing the canvas friendly version after this date as the dispersant is at present white spirit.

if not i will be stockpiling even more (got several gallons now) and i suggest if you use paint in your trade or hobby i would get intouch with its maker to see if you need to as well!

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

If true it should be a boon to automakers and ship builders who will be able to sell new ones to replace the ones that rusted into oblivion within a short time.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

yes it will bump up the car makers a bit if you cant respray your old one ,is anti foul water based? its a long time since i used it.

if the original waterseal cannot be sold and the new version isnt canvas friendly then you will have to spend 5 times the cost getting fabsil if ofcourse fabsil is still sold (not sure what its dispersant is) :o

last bought lead pain in 1995 so it may now be completely banned ? but the best for outside paint work! exterior paint nowadays doesnt even last a year perhaps that the reason ?? you buy more crap paint just as you buy more insecticides that no longer kill insects

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

yes it will bump up the car makers a bit if you cant respray your old one ,is anti foul water based? its a long time since i used it.

if the original waterseal cannot be sold and the new version isnt canvas friendly then you will have to spend 5 times the cost getting fabsil if ofcourse fabsil is still sold (not sure what its dispersant is) :o

last bought lead pain in 1995 so it may now be completely banned ? but the best for outside paint work! exterior paint nowadays doesnt even last a year perhaps that the reason ?? you buy more crap paint just as you buy more insecticides that no longer kill insects

Lead based paint has been gone for a while now and magnet was the last one that i know of but the amount of lead in it was small compared to the old stuff and it was all in the undercoat as you could feel the differance bitween that and the gloss tin,The paint rep i spoke to the other day said that all the paints have to be VOC compliant by that date and they are formulating oil bound products now to achieve this ,generally they use it as an excuse to charge a lot more for the water based products like all the other stuff with a its so green tag on it.

Just spoke to the rep and oild bound paint ie thinned with white spirit will still be available its just the VOC Volatile Organic compounds that have to be within a certain level thats the stuff that evaporates off i suppose?? ,Not sure about thompsons water seal but jhonstones paints do a stormshield waterseal which is the same thing and that will be Ok come the date so i am sure the Thompsons will to .

All the major players Dulux,Crown,Leyland/Johnstones do a microporous/flexible paint that lasts a lot longer than a year and generaly we redec outsides at 4 year intervalls if it has been done properly but leaving it any longer than that is asking for trouble,Often the modern stuff doesnt want to stick to old powdery lead paint residue which is why there are faliures before time but trade paints with a zinser primer solve this ,sadolin do an excellent water based product called Superdec which covers brilliantly and lasts and lasts but doesnt have the shine of oil bound gloss.

Used the Thompsons and the johnstones water seals on my brolly/waterproofs and both work great if not a bit smelly before its dry hope this helps Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

I was aware that the likes of farrow and ball made lead based paints to supply the likes of english heritage etc, however to purchace and use them you needed a licence. They were also making the origional distemper, flat oils. Thier range of white emulsions are amazing to try and match existing. Along with thier heritage colours. Don't know if they are still producing the products but i would be surprised if they are not.

Personally i absolutly hate using waterbased and will prefer to use oil based. Very rarely use gloss apart from outside use. Mainly internal, if asked for a semi sheen on wood work, oil based eggshell as opposed to horrible water based satin.

Dulux turned ponsey many years ago and cornered the diy market with thier exculsive paint ranges that do not have BS numbers and put the price up, they discontinued using them, i have never forgiven them for that. Try and match a dulux exclusive colour compared with a commercial BS colour paint, no contest.

Creasote, nearly forgot that one, it's getting more and more difficult to purchace, you can still get creasote alternative, but mostly it's that colourful water based stuff that the high priced diy stores are plugging, it's horrible and no match for the existing smelly stuff.

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

been onto thomsons the maker of waterseal ,this is their answer

"Dear Mr Granger,

Thank you for your enquiry regarding Thompsons Water Seal for use on

canvas. Unfortunately the new improved Water Seal cannot be applied to

canvas, regrettably we are no longer producing a product suitable for use

on canvas.

It is as you thought that you will have to purchase the Original Thompsons

Water Seal while you can. Hope this helps

Kind Regards

Andrea

Ronseal Technical Services"

if you like it stockpile it ,bloody EU meddlers :angry:

Thanks for the heads up on this one Chesters....B&Q here I come!!!

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

Thanks for the heads up on this one Chesters....B&Q here I come!!!

i have 5 gallons somewhere (B&Q did a buy two get one free a couple? of years ago and i used a gallon) but better get a few more ,people say the EU doesnt meddle! in this case (all paints etc) its going to bugger up a lot of business if their water based paint falls off whatever they are painting.

remember you want this version of the sealer. :

it says canvas on the "for use on" panel on the front.

just emailed the Hammerite guys their lovely paint cannot be thinned with white spirit.

if your stockpiling paint the seams of your cans with varnish (i use an old tin of chrome sealant for car bumpers) to stop them rusting away ,i did the 60 odd camping gaz cylinders i have stockpiled as well they rust quickly!! you try getting the old GT 106 and the ones twice the size of the 260's ;)

Edited by chesters1

Dave!!! May I say THANK YOU! You have JUST answered one of the burning questions that has been dogging me since I moved to France. "Why is the French paint co CRAPPY?" Answer is because it is ALL Water based paint!!! THAT is why the UK are being forced down this route, the French have been forced to use it for years and so the EEC have sided with the French again and so you all get to use the same crap we do! Mind you at least the weather is good here? And the card are a LOT better!! :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Creasote, nearly forgot that one, it's getting more and more difficult to purchase,

It was banned a couple of years ago, you shouldn't be able to buy it legally anywhere now.