Angling Trust Announces Restructuring

You can kinda see some precedent in the SEAFISH levy (could be a levy on fishing tackle and/or licence sales).

I can't see a precedent. SEAFISH seems to represent people who make money. Anglers don't make money. They choose to spend their own money, along with all the V.A.T. that goes with it, on a specific hobby.

Hopefully, Ron has got his wires crossed and this will blow over soon. If 99% of anglers chose not to join the Angling Trust, I can't see them being too happy at being forced to financially support them.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't see a precedent. SEAFISH seems to represent people who make money. Anglers don't make money. They choose to spend their own money, along with all the V.A.T. that goes with it, on a specific hobby.

Hopefully, Ron has got his wires crossed and this will blow over soon. If 99% of anglers chose not to join the Angling Trust, I can't see them being too happy at being forced to financially support them.

Your frustrations are widely shared, and despite remaining a staunch supporter of the principal of a single unified body and a member of the Angling Trust, I am looking for the board to embrace many important changes in the next few weeks in addition to cutting their overheads. They need to downscale thier expectations for AT and get back in touch with the ground roots of angling.

This situation are often indicative of many emerging groups, as the process itself tends to swallow up the very intention for forming in the first place.

I am not looking for a "supergroup" with unachievable asprirations, I am looking for an effective and transparent one that works on a local level, and undoubtably this will require huge support from the voluntary sector, certainly in the short term.

With this in mind, ECHO has gathered together some influential members of the coarse angling community who feel the same, including John Wilson, Martin Bowler, Keith Arthur and Danny Fairbrass amongst others, and have invited the AT board to meet with us to offer guidance and our services (without charge) to assist in re-structuring and start to develop a single unified voice for anglers, together.

I am pleased to say that the AT board accept this position and appear to welcome our invitation, and have agreed to meet with us on Mon 24th.

Our main aim will be ignore specific agenda items at this stage and establish a clear framework of communication within the AT to direct anglers concerns effectively and allow the membership to shape the organisation and drive the agenda in the future.

Kindest regards

Prepare yourselves.....Im hearing on the Grapevine a relaunch where it will be 'Compulsory' for ALL ANGLERS to join the AT with a 'COMPULSORY ROD LICENCE' which will include a fee payable directly too the AT for ALL anglers (Sea anglers as well)...I can see where this is now going. :rolleyes:

Perhaps Ron this time can elaborate a bit more regarding this grapevine gossip, give us a few clues etc, who is included within this grapevine, unless it is like the last time when if i remember correctly it was all a bit hush, hush until a certain sfc meeting, that then all came to nothing.

Seeing that Ron is using capital letters he can go into this with a bit more detail. Tell us what you know Ron. :)

Bet Steve C and Glennk are chomping at the bit to see if Leon is included in this grapevine. :D

just a guess btw.

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

ECHO has gathered together some influential members of the coarse angling community who feel the same, including John Wilson, Martin Bowler, Keith Arthur and Danny Fairbrass amongst others, and have invited the AT board to meet with us to offer guidance and our services (without charge) to assist in re-structuring and start to develop a single unified voice for anglers, together.

I am pleased to say that the AT board accept this position and appear to welcome our invitation, and have agreed to meet with us on Mon 24th.

Our main aim will be ignore specific agenda items at this stage and establish a clear framework of communication within the AT to direct anglers concerns effectively and allow the membership to shape the organisation and drive the agenda in the future.

Kindest regards

Well Im sorry to be so negative Ruth but who the hell are you or any of the members of ECHO (a group formed with quite a narrow objective,allthough I happen to agree with the principle) to "advise" this (once again) self apointed group (AT) on what anglers/angling in general needs/wants?

This is why so many grass roots guys wont join up to any organisation that may help "unify" angling.Try spending time rubbing shoulders with Mr Average Angler and not hob nobbing it with the "celebrity" anglers you are so proud to name drop.Try winning us over rather than alienating us.Please dont think this is a personal attack on you Im just asking you these things as at least youve tried to let us normal anglers know whats going on.

Its human nature people wont want to support unelected,self apointed people and take great exception when said claim to represent them and their wishes.

Also just look at a lot of the people behind the "angling bodies" of the last decade or two! Same people banging not the same gong but whatever gong they think will help them advance their selves.

Yes negative I might sound but despite (ask Leon and other "politically active" members on here) having asked all of the current groups of each time to convince me or tell me why I should support them sadly none have ever bothered.I can only draw the conclussion that they simply dont care about me or my peers.

And lets be honest the "names" you mention arnt being brought on board because of their knowledge/experience/expertise etc but purely as their celebrity is to be used to create an air of authority....just as indeed youve seemingly done here.

I say again I would love to see a body that truely represented angling that all anglers could accept and unify under but it just isnt going to happen untill a new formulae is worked out. I will not support "false prophets" any more and nor will m,ost anglers of any experience.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Well Im sorry to be so negative Ruth but who the hell are you or any of the members of ECHO (a group formed with quite a narrow objective,allthough I happen to agree with the principle) to "advise" this (once again) self apointed group (AT) on what anglers/angling in general needs/wants?

This is why so many grass roots guys wont join up to any organisation that may help "unify" angling.Try spending time rubbing shoulders with Mr Average Angler and not hob nobbing it with the "celebrity" anglers you are so proud to name drop.Try winning us over rather than alienating us.Please dont think this is a personal attack on you Im just asking you these things as at least youve tried to let us normal anglers know whats going on.

Its human nature people wont want to support unelected,self apointed people and take great exception when said claim to represent them and their wishes.

Also just look at a lot of the people behind the "angling bodies" of the last decade or two! Same people banging not the same gong but whatever gong they think will help them advance their selves.

Yes negative I might sound but despite (ask Leon and other "politically active" members on here) having asked all of the current groups of each time to convince me or tell me why I should support them sadly none have ever bothered.I can only draw the conclussion that they simply dont care about me or my peers.

And lets be honest the "names" you mention arnt being brought on board because of their knowledge/experience/expertise etc but purely as their celebrity is to be used to create an air of authority....just as indeed youve seemingly done here.

I say again I would love to see a body that truely represented angling that all anglers could accept and unify under but it just isnt going to happen untill a new formulae is worked out. I will not support "false prophets" any more and nor will m,ost anglers of any experience.

Hi Budgie

No need to apologise for your negative opinion, undoubtably it will be shared by many others!

The main reason I have been involved in arranging this meeting is my previous position of SAA Vice Chairman, rather than my involvement with ECHO. The SAA was one of the merging groups that formed Angling Trust, and it is from that perspective that I am keen to see the job done properly, if you like. But it is easy to criticise.

I would certainly be interested to hear any ideas you may have at this time of informing the AT board of what anglers want and need.

Whilst I do not view your comments as a personal attack, I would respectfully suggest that in my line of work (I own a tackle shop) I have spent nearly 20 years "rubbing shoulders with Mr Average Angler", probably around of 250 a day. I certainly have no desire to alienate anyone, however I would respectfully suggest that if I had arranged a meeting for 7 of my customers or members of this forum to meet with AT.......the opportunity would not have arisen-I might be wrong of course, it has been known!

The "names" I mention, did not need to be "brought on board", as they have all been strong supporters of AT's formation and whilst most remain critics of the present structure, we all want this to work and are prepared to offer our help. In addition, the "names", once satisfied that accountable financial management can be demonstrated, and a channel of communication established for "Mr Average Angler" to voice their opinions effectively, have a wealth of contacts that would provide endless opportunities for AT in publicity, marketing etc and all at no cost.

I too "would love to see a body that truely represented angling that all anglers could accept and unify under" and would be interested in any "new formulae" you can offer.

As usual, I think we have much in common.........I chose to get involved because I care......you wouldn't be posting at such length if you didn't too....the "names" may not be the right people to be involved in the future, and the very last thing we want is to run AT but one thing is for sure, we all have good intentions and will have tried our best to make them listen.

Kindest regards

Hi Budgie

No need to apologise for your negative opinion, undoubtably it will be shared by many others!

The main reason I have been involved in arranging this meeting is my previous position of SAA Vice Chairman, rather than my involvement with ECHO. The SAA was one of the merging groups that formed Angling Trust, and it is from that perspective that I am keen to see the job done properly, if you like. But it is easy to criticise.

I would certainly be interested to hear any ideas you may have at this time of informing the AT board of what anglers want and need.

Whilst I do not view your comments as a personal attack, I would respectfully suggest that in my line of work (I own a tackle shop) I have spent nearly 20 years "rubbing shoulders with Mr Average Angler", probably around of 250 a day. I certainly have no desire to alienate anyone, however I would respectfully suggest that if I had arranged a meeting for 7 of my customers or members of this forum to meet with AT.......the opportunity would not have arisen-I might be wrong of course, it has been known!

The "names" I mention, did not need to be "brought on board", as they have all been strong supporters of AT's formation and whilst most remain critics of the present structure, we all want this to work and are prepared to offer our help. In addition, the "names", once satisfied that accountable financial management can be demonstrated, and a channel of communication established for "Mr Average Angler" to voice their opinions effectively, have a wealth of contacts that would provide endless opportunities for AT in publicity, marketing etc and all at no cost.

I too "would love to see a body that truely represented angling that all anglers could accept and unify under" and would be interested in any "new formulae" you can offer.

As usual, I think we have much in common.........I chose to get involved because I care......you wouldn't be posting at such length if you didn't too....the "names" may not be the right people to be involved in the future, and the very last thing we want is to run AT but one thing is for sure, we all have good intentions and will have tried our best to make them listen.

Kindest regards

Does the Angling Trust really want to hear the views of the average angler? If so, is the AT prepared to act upon them?

I know that as far as sea angling representation has gone, the views of the average angler have been fine as long as they tally with the views of those doing the representing. Any differing views have been ridiculed or just plain ignored. I think that explains why sea angling representative bodies have struggled to gain the support of the average angler. For years they survived, just, by relying on the old party faithful. If the Angling Trust is to succeed where others failed, they have to change that and attract the anglers who have never joined a representative body before. By using the same old tired names and faces that have already failed to attract support in the past, the Angling Trust is also doomed to fail. I said much the same thing in emails to Mark Lloyd around the time of the launch but it seems it was easier to go with the flow than ruffle a few feathers and make the necessary changes. Now the AT is paying the price.

And if attracting sea anglers - who are in dire need of good representation and protection against a raft of proposed restictions at present - is proving difficult, attracting coarse anglers is going to be harder still.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Perhaps Ron this time can elaborate a bit more regarding this grapevine gossip, give us a few clues etc, who is included within this grapevine, unless it is like the last time when if i remember correctly it was all a bit hush, hush until a certain sfc meeting, that then all came to nothing.

Seeing that Ron is using capital letters he can go into this with a bit more detail. Tell us what you know Ron. :)

Bet Steve C and Glennk are chomping at the bit to see if Leon is included in this grapevine. :D

just a guess btw.

Given the words on my grapevine Barry, I would be very surprised if he was. If he is then the AT marine section will be dead as a dodo.

Edited by glennk

Thanks for your reply Ruth and taking my post in the way it was intended.Allthough quick to condem I sadly have no answers or anything positive to put forward! It is indeed a very difficult task.If I thought I had something I would be out there telling all about it and trying to get it to work.

I know its easier to be negative than positive but Ive simply seen so many failed attempts that Im a lot surer in my mind about what "wont" work than what will!

The only positive thing I can offer from my observastions is that any body that wants to do something for angling needs to get two things right the most important of these is the support of all anglers and secondly (in fact to achieve the first aim) need to get their commiunication with a fore mentioned "all anglers" right.Not only do they need to know what anglers want but also make anglers aware of what they (the body) are doing to try and achieve this!

Most anglers dont buy mags/papers,most dont bother going on line so most have simply never heard of the likes of the AT or back in the day SAA or NFA or whatever.Often the first they do hear is when these groups suddenly apear telling them what to do! Like I said instantly rubs people up.

Like a politician (not that they seem to bother either these days!) you need to canvass and let people know and get their support.

I dont think I will see it in my life time but live in hope.

Who or what is ECHO?

Dont this just prove my point?

Yorkio,it stands for English Carp Heritage Organisation.A group formed to try and keep English carp English! I agree with their points and aims but as you can now see quite a narrowly focused group.

Hopefully Ruth might put up a link to some info on them for you and others.Dont think Ive got one but will check.