Those crazy creationists

corydoras

humans are still evolving or may evolve further; it's a moot point, some biologists think we are some think we are not.

Surely Cory, the "mechanism" for evolution is always there, but only if evolutionary pressures exist does evolution "happen", in the sense that we can detect some sort of change.

Some creatures, like the coelacanth, various sharks, and crocodiles have evolved very little over millions of years. This is because there is little evolutionary pressure on them - ie they are already successful in their lifestyle, having 1/ got it right first time and 2/ occupied a niche that has not changed very much.

One or two croc species have evolved to fill special niches (like the gharial) as have some sharks, but in the main, living crocs, sharks and coelacanths differ very little from their fossil forebears.

By contrast most land animals (including man) and plants have changed considerably from their fossil ancestors - climate change consequent upon continental drift is just ONE of the pressures that dictate "evolve or perish" (there are many others - ice ages, interglacials, volcanic outgassing etc etc)

Man is still capable of evolving, but thanks to technology (eg the NHS!) there is now little pressure on UK citizens to do so. One view of evolution is that it "eliminates the unfit and the unlucky" - that is not supposed to happen in our Nanny State.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sometimes it's best to hide and move slow to conserve energy that is the better strategy.

Yeh, hundreds of session carpers can't be wrong!

...and camou works ! It is rare for a carper to get eaten by a grizzly bear!

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Surely Cory, the "mechanism" for evolution is always there, but only if evolutionary pressures exist does evolution "happen", in the sense that we can detect some sort of change.

Some creatures, like the coelacanth, various sharks, and crocodiles have evolved very little over millions of years. This is because there is little evolutionary pressure on them - ie they are already successful in their lifestyle, having 1/ got it right first time and 2/ occupied a niche that has not changed very much.

One or two croc species have evolved to fill special niches (like the gharial) as have some sharks, but in the main, living crocs, sharks and coelacanths differ very little from their fossil forebears.

By contrast most land animals (including man) and plants have changed considerably from their fossil ancestors - climate change consequent upon continental drift is just ONE of the pressures that dictate "evolve or perish" (there are many others - ice ages, interglacials, volcanic outgassing etc etc)

Man is still capable of evolving, but thanks to technology (eg the NHS!) there is now little pressure on UK citizens to do so. One view of evolution is that it "eliminates the unfit and the unlucky" - that is not supposed to happen in our Nanny State.

Absolutely Vagabond. Man is still capable of evolving, or of going extinct. It's not just ancient eukaryotes like your examples that have remained unchanged for millions of years. Many prokaryotes and archaea have existed unchanged for billions of years, because there are no pressures on them to evolve.

Evolution can take place at extremely rapid pace when the evolutionary pressure is high.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/20...-evolution.html

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Can somebody explain how travelling at great speed slows/stops the aging process? Elapsed time is elapsed time, no matter what/whose units are used.

Read 'Gods of Air and Darkness' by Richard Mooney for other ideas. A bit dated though!

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

does this mean every racing driver outlives every traction engine driver?

if time isnt a constant why isnt 2pm c2pm? ,how can foreigners be ahead of us time wise if time (ok the man made version of it) starts at the meridian line? x oclock starts at greenwhich thus everyone is behind that in time,its impossible to time travel so going to france and finding your an hour ahead of where you were is crap

the only time time is misused is in celebrations ,just because something finished on a certain day a century before does not mean today's date is the same ,where did the leap years go?

so "today" 100 years ago in a sentence cannot exist IE today 120 years ago X died is a lie! it didn't and going further back gets the gregorian effect.

to a women losing 5 years comes with age so time is even more shifty in a womans case.

lastly why do natives without jobs or timescales need watches ? i spotted a native in a prog about err natives wearing a watch why? will he die earlier if he knows what time it is?.

should watches show sunrise midday and sunset only ? after all 99.9% of the things on earth do fine without one :D "time" (as we use it now) only became important when the railways came now they are so expensive we cannot use them are watches redundant?

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Can somebody explain how travelling at great speed slows/stops the aging process? Elapsed time is elapsed time, no matter what/whose units are used.

Read 'Gods of Air and Darkness' by Richard Mooney for other ideas. A bit dated though!

does this mean every racing driver outlives every traction engine driver?

if time isnt a constant why isnt 2pm c2pm? ,how can foreigners be ahead of us time wise if time (ok the man made version of it) starts at the meridian line? x oclock starts at greenwhich thus everyone is behind that in time,its impossible to time travel so going to france and finding your an hour ahead of where you were is crap

the only time time is misused is in celebrations ,just because something finished on a certain day a century before does not mean today's date is the same ,where did the leap years go?

so "today" 100 years ago in a sentence cannot exist IE today 120 years ago X died is a lie! it didn't and going further back gets the gregorian effect.

to a women losing 5 years comes with age so time is even more shifty in a womans case.

lastly why do natives without jobs or timescales need watches ? i spotted a native in a prog about err natives wearing a watch why? will he die earlier if he knows what time it is?.

should watches show sunrise midday and sunset only ? after all 99.9% of the things on earth do fine without one :D "time" (as we use it now) only became important when the railways came now they are so expensive we cannot use them are watches redundant?

Just for chesters and Jim Roper

Time Dilation in a nutshell.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

its a theory :rolleyes:

whilst clocks may appear to be slower than the other one it compares to whats to say the other isn't faster ? ,when both (the slower clock or the faster one) cannot be judged accurate the "proof" has no basis so its a theory.

Einsteins brains wasn't that he was a clever scientist just that his theories are so hard to prove or disprove he wasn't a "law" maker or a liar in his life time :D

my theory is Einstein was houdini in reverse

on theory was quantum shell theory disproved or not

theres masses of "theories" that have been disproved now yet had "scientists" nodding in agreement then theres probably more being nodded at now than in the future.

you cannot prove anything 100% so why harken to mere theory? ,time is mans way of strangling itself nothing more ,first you have to decide what time your using and how its worked out and its relevance to the use your putting it to

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

its a theory :rolleyes:

Not some half-baked idea, but confirmed by experiment and observation.

Unfortunatley, to really understand it, you need to understand the mathmatics.

(Mathmetics seem to be the natural language of the universe, which itself raises some interesting philosophical issues!)

Even more unfortunately very few people (definitely including me) really understand the language of mathmetics, and without that understanding it is almost impossible to really get your head around the concepts embodied in the theories, especially when those concepts are so counter-intuitive to beings living on the scale where only Newtonian physics seem to have validity.

The fact that we are now moving into a world where quantum computing is possible, does seem to indicate that quantum mechanics is real.

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Not some half-baked idea, but confirmed by experiment and observation.

Unfortunatley, to really understand it, you need to understand the mathmatics.

(Mathmetics seem to be the natural language of the universe, which itself raises some interesting philosophical issues!)

Even more unfortunately very few people (definitely including me) really understand the language of mathmetics, and without that understanding it is almost impossible to really get your head around the concepts embodied in the theories, especially when those concepts are so counter-intuitive to beings living on the scale where only Newtonian physics seem to have validity.

then why isnt it a law?