close season avoidance

The Flying Tench

Hi, for those that have never heard of me, mainly due to me rarely ever getting the time to come (not literally!!) on this forum, my name is Charlie Bettell - as you will have already made out by the name attached to this posting.

The reason for me coming on here today is because Peters comments, to do with me, have shown up on one or two search engines.

I am simply going to put Peter right on a few things than disapear again - leaving you in peace - if I stayed, Peter would only start having a go at me as he usually does.

Peter: "Most guides charge £150 or so for a days guiding on the Broads, an ideal service for the incapable client!"

Charlie: 1. I only charge £110 for an eight hour day - that's £55 per client. 2. Most of my clients are professional people, like Gerry, who either do not have a boat of their own, or do not have the time to do anything other than hire the services of somebody like myself to fit in with their very busy lifestyles - like, for example, Pete Waterman and Steve Wright.

Peter: "They do make a living. One I know has his navy pension to back him up, helps out with the computer at a tackle shop and has been known to work behind a bar."

Charlie: 1. A navy pension!!! Where do you get your information Peter? ....! I was only in the navy three years!! 2. I help out with the computer at a tackle shop!! Wrong again! 3. Yes I did work in a Riverside Bar some four years back - I was the manager! What has that to do with anything Peter?....!

Peter: "their pricing structure should allow for a three month lay off so I have no sympathy from that angle. Afterall, they have chosen to make a living in that manner."

I do not need to work during the river close season Peter - nor do I need to work weekends, bank holidays, birthdays, XMAS etc!!

I hope that helps you Peter - perhaps you would like to cut and paste this post onto your computer for future reference.

I do not have a problem with Peter - but it would appear, as Gerry said, that Peter does have a problem with me, personally - or about me, personally, guiding on the Norfolk Broads.

Charlie Bettell - www.esox.co.uk

Professional Pike Fishing Guide

Author: 'The Art of Lure Fishing'

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Charlie,

Pete Waterman, Steve Wright? Are these famous people by any chance? If they are, I'd bet Fenboy knows you. Or want's to! Nice to see you giving your side of the story. Peter does tend to have it all his own way sometimes so its nice to see someone standing up to him. Thats what I do of course when I feel its needed. Then again, so do most other posters. Poor Peter. I almost feel sorry for him now.

Almost.

Got to ask this though Charlie. How on earth do you manage to get all those punters to fish for such a stupid fish?

Regards,

Lee.

Lee, I have chosen not to respond to Charlie, its the best way! But I will to you. Please don't feel sorry for me. Me and Charlie have communicated via the Pike & Predators forums in the past. Of the two of us I believe I have the longest memory!!! Read into that what you will. The P&P forum can be the pits, no way do I want to see AN take the same route. That is my last word on that matter.

Unfortunately Peter, you have the uncanny knack of lowering the quality of all the forums that you choose to spend time on. After having your usual ear bashing from forum members, you usually choose to move on and start all over again.

If anybody on here would like to do the following test, you will note that I never throw the first punch - I am always the one having to defend myself against accusations made by Peter.

Type in 'Charlie Bettell Peter Waller' on any search engine and see what it coughs up.

I have nothing whatsoever against Peter - apart from the annoying fact that I am forever having to defend myself againt the accusations he makes against me.

Peter, you clearly have a problem that needs to be addressed.

Is it because I come from Essex Peter - you have used that one against me a few times in the past.

Is it because I have managed to make a good living from guiding?

Is it because you are a double glazing rep. and I am out on the water nigh on everyday?

I truly would like to know why you hate me so much Peter.

Over the years we have only exchanged words, face to face, for about 20 minutes - and that was many years back.

You rubbed me up the wrong way during that encounter and, if my memory serves me correctly, I sent you packing.

Perhaps it's that early encounter with me that you cannot get-over/forget Peter.

Move on Peter, stop this silly running down of guides business. Try to enjoy what life you have left - happily!!

One last thing Peter - don't start something that you can't be bothered to see through to the bitter end. If you must make accusations about fellow anglers, be sure you can back them up to the very end!!

[ 24. March 2004, 08:07 AM: Message edited by: charliebettell ]

See what I mean folks! Let it rest Charlie, for heavens sakes. It was your good friend Gerry who personalised this issue, not me. As a matter of interest I spend between four and twelve hours a day, during the season, out fishing four to seven days a week, on my terms, which is very important to me, not bad for a non professional angler.

The four times that we have met:- First time you invited me into your home, after I had made the effort to meet you. The second time was in Brundall Angling Centre, where you told me about fly fishing for pike and Brundall Broad, won't go into that in any further depth but I remember the conversation well, one which surprised me. The third time you were behind the bar at Woods End, the forth time was once again in Brundall Angling Centre, we just nodded to each other and exchanged common courtesies! But sent me packing? No Charlie. You are obviously fishing for a response.

I expect that you will be back Charlie, I know that you like the last word. Rest assured that this is mine.

Peter Waller,

Non Professional Pike Angler.

Author of numerous magazine articles on piking, as if it matters!

[ 24. March 2004, 09:14 AM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

Just to put a different angle on things (I don't want to stir things up...and I'm from Essex, too :) )......

It is always stated that a beginner piker must fish with an experienced piker first in order to learn correct fish handling procedure, rig set-up, etc.

Question to those who believe that this is the case, but especially for those who seem opposed to guides:

If an angler doesn't have any experienced piking friends and is not the sort to join a club (as I was a few years back), would the idea of paying to use the services of an experienced guide not be an exceptionally good idea? :confused:

When I wanted to catch pike for the 1st time, I did it half right, half wrong. Leon Roskilly and Davy Holt will probably remember, as it was the days before this site, when we used to chat via newsgroups....

I asked for advice on kit, handling and techniques. I then took this advice on board, caught about 50 eels and then, finally, had my first pike day, when I caught about half a dozen.

I was then told to get on to lures and bought a certain book called The Art Of Lure Fishing by Charlie Bettell and played with lures for a few years. Then work and life got in the way, but I'm now starting to redress that imbalance... :)

Anyway, I digress - my question is in bold above.

TL,

Elton

PS For the record, I'm struggling to see the problem some have with guides. If I fish the sea, I charter a skipper. If I wanted to fly fish, guides are fairly common. Fishing overseas, guiding is a massive industry. It just seems that it's coarse fishing in the UK that has its objectors.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I have one main objector to what I do for a living - that objector being Peter.

Peter has an uncanny knack of managing to provoke others to object to what I do for a living too.

Once again Elton, I'm sorry for having to come on your forum to put things straight - if you remember right Elton, Peter had something to do with the last thread that you had to lock due to me having to step in and defend myself.