close season avoidance

The Flying Tench

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gentlemen, if I am reading your threads correctly, it would appear that the EA couldn't give a sh*t about who fishes for what as long as you have the correct licence. In other words if you have a coarse licence, and want to fish out of season, all you have to do is buy a trout licence. It seems to me that someone is putting money first!!!!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Kleinboet, coarse fish and non-migratory trout are all on one licence. I must say, though, I wonder how much they bother about breaches of the close season. I've been trying to find on the EA web-site what the regs are for my region (Thames). I can't find it. Someone told me you can spin for trout in the close season, but not bait fish. Does anyone know if this is true?

john clarke

johnclarke:

Kleinboet, coarse fish and non-migratory trout are all on one licence. I must say, though, I wonder how much they bother about breaches of the close season. I've been trying to find on the EA web-site what the regs are for my region (Thames). I can't find it. Someone told me you can spin for trout in the close season, but not bait fish. Does anyone know if this is true?

John,

Try here to download from the link on the right hand side of the page.

There are also National fisheries byelaws as well

Colin

nigelnibbles:

what about people who fish canals during closed season,

Mine is covered by membership of my piscatorial association. A pond and a small lake are included with the canal and open to fish during the close season. Fished it last year not really understanding why the river was closed but everything else was open. Not so this year.

To my knowledge there isn't anything but coarse fish to be caught there. If spawning is the reason for closing the rivers then why allow it elsewhere.

Perch, pike, tench, roach, bream, chub, and dace don't spawn on canals and stillwaters? :rolleyes:

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

Be Warned

Anglers in the north east have been warned to observe regulations on the region’s rivers, streams and ditches when the annual coarse fish close season starts on Monday (March 15) and runs until June 15 (inclusive).

However, the season for brown trout doesn’t open until March 25 on rivers in Yorkshire and Humberside.

Environment Agency water bailiffs will be especially vigilant, checking rivers regularly during the close season to safeguard fish stocks and to ensure anglers have the correct rod licence.

"This law is there to protect spawning fish and let eggs and the young survive," said Environment Agency fisheries team leader Pat O’Brien.

"During the coarse fish close season, anglers can fish the region’s many lakes, dams and reservoirs where the close season does not apply," he added, "Although anyone caught fishing illegally can expect to be prosecuted."

Can anyone tell me about licencing for the fishing for Tout in rivers? I always thought that I needed a Trout licence for them. I thought that the non-migratory Trout listed on my coarse licence applied to Trout in 'put-n-take stillwaters.

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription