close season avoidance

The Flying Tench

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought a lot of what has been written above made sense.Just a couple of observations.Peter gave a link to the guiding companys web site,this was nothing to do with CB.The case shown here is a blatant case of "closed season avoidance".As a guide I can accept that there are good and bad ,just as there are in all walks of life.The fees charged by some guides are indeed outrageous but many anglers seem happy to pay them.As mentioned the use of a guide bears no reflection on the anglers skills.It is more of a convieniance thing.

Spinning/bait fishing for trout -As I and others have said the issue here surely is not people targeting these fish and catching out of season coarse fish by mistake but people fishing intentionaly for out of season coarse fish whilst pretending to fish for trout.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Budgie, I hear what you say, but for me the real issue is one of the Close Season and what the rules say you can do. Break them and you deserve whatever comes your way. Work within them and there's not a problem. You might be open to an accusation that you're pushing your luck, but then we are talking about principles not an illegal act and we all have to be squeaky clean if we want to pursue that one.....and I doubt if we are. I'm not.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Dear Argyll,

I'm with Cranfield on the way you posted. If I were Peter I wouldn't feel the slightest bit told off!! Going for the jugular doesn't always result in blood letting. Nice one.

Charlie Bettell?? Sorry, never heard of him. Heard of Fenboy and the "Lucebaits King". Even once watched some bloke called Rickards fall to sleep in meetings. In fact, if Fenboy ran a guiding business I might just try a trip (if it was free) as he makes me laugh so much. Both on the internet and in real life. FREE!!?? Who am I trying to kid!!

I must say though Argyll, if I had the choice to either pay for a guides services, or tow my boat to some far away place in order to fish, I'd be fully prepared to drag the boat up the motorway by hand rather than pay for someone to show me how to go fishing. Surely angling is a skill learned from childhood for the majority? And by the time one reaches manhood, is there really a need for competent anglers to seek an angling "guides" services. Aren't boats for hire on the Broads?

Then again Argyll you are perfectly right. It’s all about personal choice.

Personal choice also equates to Peter not being to keen on this Mr Bettell. And in return, Mr Bettnell not being keen on Peter I wouldn't mind betting? But the one thing you can always rely on Peter for is his sheer bottle when it comes to speaking his mind. I know this cos I've been on the receiving end of Peters quill many a time.

I remain myself of course. The shrinking violet that I've always been quite unable sometimes to withstand Peter’s opinions, sarcasm, and on occasion, his down right rudeness.

Yeah right!! And the bus stop in our village is really a space ship manned by tortoises!!

Might I respectfully ask, why was such a rather eloquent but long winded post made quilled in defence of this Charlie Bettell when dear old Charlie could have done said same thing for himself?? If darling Peter had gone for me in the same manner then I would have been at him like a pit bull terrier let out of its metal cage!!

OK. So at times Peter can appear to be a bit of a, err, well, err, prat. There, I've said it. (Come to think of it so can I) But I'll tell you what Argyll, I'd rather have a hundred Peter Waller’s chipping away at me because you always know where you are with him. He always stands his corner and never rolls over. Speaks his mind. And I for one like that. Even look forward to it.

Peter is also a very funny guy. The type of bloke who's one line comments can cheer an otherwise dull day. He's also a firm favourite with AN regulars who appreciate his style. His old threads on AN are legendary in the prime fact he got everyone thinking. And at each others throats at the same time but that’s what makes Peter so fascinating.

So Mr Argyll who ever you are, I liked your post obviously penned in defence of your mate Charlie. As I said earlier, nice one.

Please consider my post as one done in defence of Peter Waller. No, he's not my mate by any stretch of the imagination as I have no longing nor desire to fish with him in his boat. Nor to heaven forbid have him "guide" me towards the stupid quarry that he fishes for. No no. I stand before AN in defence of Peter because all of us would be very much poorer interneter's without him or the vastly original style he posts with.

There are so many so called leaders in angling that speak with two tongues, plying much of their deceitful doctrines behind closed doors. Say one thing openly, do the opposite covertly. Peter is reliably up front.

Viva Peter Waller. May he speak his mind forever and try to find something more substantially intelligent to fish for.

I remain as always; Patriot to the Principle. Not puppet to the Muppet.

Regards,

Lee.

Gerry, too much to take in, too much to answer in any form of entirety. Some of it I will answer though.

£150.00 is quoted on websites. No problem there.

The dead 60 pounder was, I believe, 36 pounds. I do not understand the logic behind claiming it was otherwise.

No, John Watson is not squeeky clean, he is not adverse to a spot of guesting! But JW doesn't just hammer one particular area of the Broads, doesn't draw attention to that one particular area.

In the context of sea-pike fishing I am not alone in my contempt for those who practice it. Jason Davies, admirable piker, was, I believe, the piker who coined the phrase. If the guides do it then others will follow their example.

As for my relationship with Charlie, we have only met three times. On that basis I have no real opinion of the man.

I was, however, quite prepared to accept him as a friend and fellow piker. We certainly shared the same interests at one time. Best ask Charlie why he felt it should be otherwise. I guess that it dates back to the forming of a potential PAC Broadland Region. I can only guess that only Charlie knows why it all went sour because sure as heck I don't. I certainly didn't wish it to be that way.

If I'm honest, as a Broadlander, I'm not keen on Charlie's guiding activities. I'm not keen on the Predator People either! In nearly all Broadland pike guiding cases I believe that they take far more out than they ever put in. I do not believe that I am alone in that opinion. In all cases I believe the Broads would be well shot of guided pike fishing activities, and not just Charlie's.

Of nescessity the guides need to popularise piking, they need a constant supply of 'new' pikers to fill their appointment books.

Gerry, you are not a run of the mill fellow, and I say that with a great deal of respect! Many experienced pikers, having learnt from a guide, will return and hire a boat, or even buy one, they don't always re-engage the guide. Not everyone can constantly afford £90.00+ plus travelling for a day's sport.

Piking is a sport. The Broads pike guides are using the resources of other folk's sport to earn a living. And they do so without putting anything back in.

Gerry, I say this with a degree of hesitation, afterall I do regard you as a friend. You are not a Broads person, I am. You are entitled to your opinion, and I respect you for it. But you are talking as an outsider. It does make a difference.

A person's income is irrelevant to the point in question. I simply replied to Trent Barbellers comment. Surely you didn't see that as a critiscism?

Nor did I say, or even imply, that I consider you to be an incapable angler Gerry! I do know that you hold Charlie in very high regard and enjoy his company, good enough reason to go fishing with him. That you might need his services as a guide has, quite frankly, always puzzled me!!

Before you critiscise my comments on various forums Gerry, I would suggest that you also read Charlie's comments to myself.

I had kept Charlie's name out of the AnglersNet threads. My comments were aimed at Broadland Piking Guides who flaunt the rules, they were not aimed particuarly at Charlie, a man who has publically denied such activities.

Gerry, I hope we can remain friends. Maybe that we can exchange frank views is testament to that.

P.S., No I don't feel 'told off' by any stretch of the imagination! As a matter of interest I noted recently that Charlie is a member of A.N. Oh dear, potentially the airways could go into melt-down!

P.P.S. Lee, you, and Charlie, are more than welcome aboard. I will put the greased plank away, for one of you

By the way Gerry, I am generally not an aggressive attacker. But if anyone hits me then I'm a great believer in the turn the other cheek syndrome, just before I hit back! It's not what any of us say, but the way that we say it. If someone upsets me then I will give as good as I get.

[ 15. March 2004, 07:40 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

Dear Peter,

Only one letter "L" in Barbeler dear chap. Nice post by the way.

Who's Gerry by the way Peter? Not that chap from Liverpool who led the "pacemakers" is it??

"Treadmill of Local Authority?" Soft jobs with cushions more like.

Regards,

Lee.

Thanks for your coments Lee, from your goodself they are much appreciated.

Gerry is of London stock, from one of the 'better' manors! Probably one that was castellated. He does hang round with Penton Hookers, but then he is only human. The only 'pacemaker', at the moment, is the one possibly earmarked to be near to his heart! He is cracking on, nearly as old as me!