Float Fishing Problem In Clear Water

TrevBoy

My local canal is stuffed with tench and naturally I want to catch them. I prefer float fishing and have had some success, but I am missing some bites. The water is pretty clear at the moment and my problem is that I find it hard to tell when the float has slipped under. I can see it just as well as when still above the water. Any ideas how to tackle this?

My local canal is stuffed with tench and naturally I want to catch them. I prefer float fishing and have had some success, but I am missing some bites. The water is pretty clear at the moment and my problem is that I find it hard to tell when the float has slipped under. I can see it just as well as when still above the water. Any ideas how to tackle this?

different colored float tips ?, or the lift method would probably be a much better indicator of a bite

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

firstly rake the swim (it'll stir up the food and put some colour nto the water) .You could also use a float with a sight bob that'll cause a ripple as it goes under hopefully .

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Yes I tried that but can't get low enough because of the reeds. Will try lift method next, though the colder temps of the last few days seem to have made the fish disappear.

Use a little bit of ground bait that clouds the water, Chavender tip regarding raking the bottom is best and natural, you may have to wait a few hours after that exercise to start fishing. :thumbs:

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

I would either use the 'lift method' that has been discussed a lot recently and wait for the float to lift or sail away or failing that use a swingtip.

Aren't there any boats to stir up the bottom and cloud the water? if not then you could try to rake the bottom up to cloud up the swim and stirup any natural food from the canal bed. leapingfish2.gif

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

You could try gently holding the line with your finger, similar to touch legering, the float going under in conjunction with you feeling the pull on your line may help to improve bite indication

I must admit this is a problem I've never experienced, usually a change of float or float colour has done the trick.

I was wondering what type of float you use, and how it is shotted?

There are 'extended tips' that you can put on floats that make them more visible. (I use drinking straws of varying diameters).

The idea is that you fit it on the top of your float, and it has a hole just above where the float tip finishes. The idea is that you have good visibility of more float showing, but when the float goes under, water fills the centre of the straw and there is no resistance from the light piece of hollow plastic tube. This way, you can have a float 'dotted' right down, but still have something to see.

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John