St George tie pins banned. Because they MIGHT be racist!!

Slack lines

I agree the pin is totally PC gone bonkers.

BUT

I have to totally disagree with this quote.

"My children are naughty - can I smack them - No I lost my parental control on chastisement.

My children want a bar of chocolate at playtime - can I give them one - No I lost my parental control on feeding them.

My children want to play with water pistols on a hot day - can I let them - No I lost my parental control on what toys to let them play with.

My children attend school smart but it's getting expensive - can I buy cheaper clothes - No I lost my parental control must buy through the school.

I don't want my children 'f'ing all over the place - Can I stop them - No I lost my parental control swearing is accepted in school.

I want my children to respect me - will they - No because someone else has taken away all my parental control.

I want my children to learn about our culture - can they - No I lost my parental control school is too busy 'practising' other cultures and hasn't time to teach our own.

So who has all my parental control - Oh yes those guys in suits 300 miles away.

So I have unruly children, who have forgotten all the manners I taught them, all the respect I have given them, and all the love and fun of being a child.

Whose fault is that - Oh yes thats when I suddenly regain my parental control and its my fault

I have looked after my grandson every week day since he was three months old. He is now three, a very polite loving little chap, cheerful, no tantrums, does as he is asked and is loved by everyone who comes into contact with him.

How has this miracle occurred?

Very simple, he has never been smacked, he has always known he is loved, and when he ask a question however silly it may seem he always gets an answer.

I have never felt put on by authorites, he loves to play with his water gun in the bath and on a hot sunny day and to date no one has intervened.

He counts to ten and has started reading easy words, loves his nursery school.

Down side, refuses to give up his dummy full time but I can live with that, prefers a bottle of milk first thing rather that a cup of tea, we all have our little fads.

PC should not be confused with good parenting practices, and I must add tv's super nan would not get through my front door.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ken Davison South Wales:

I agree the pin is totally PC gone bonkers.

BUT

I have to totally disagree with this quote.

It is not very often that I find my self in agreement with Ken, but here I agree 100%. I have two kids, who have never given any trouble and they have hardly ever had a smack. Parents that need to smack there kids are inadequate, or are at least lacking in self control. I am not sure what Ken's problem with 'Super-nan' is though, she is not an advocate of smacking.

[ 05. October 2005, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: corydoras ]

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

My children attend school smart but it's getting expensive - can I buy cheaper clothes - No I lost my parental control must buy through the school.

When I went to school over 40 years ago we had to wear full school uniform. That was expensive but ther was no choice in the matter. Don't remember much "parental control" on that particular issue

Regarding smacking, I don't think anyone has lost the right to "chastise" their child appropriately. Of course, beating them up may be frowned upon!

If you want your children to respect you, hitting them may not be the answer

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

What's wrong with super nan!!

I don't think the kids are out of order its the parents, so why punish the child with the naughty step?

I think her routines are far to ridgid and at time down right cruel.

The kids are paying for their parents disorder, their inability to cope with children, I never smacked my son or daughter, I did however take their toys down to the charity shop if they refused to pick them up.

But they always had a choice and were of an age where they could understand that choice.

I suppose that is the key word "understanding" and for my money she misses the plot by a mile.

I hate to see any child crying and totally distraught, when it arrives at this situation the parents should seriously consider their actions.

eat.gif

Petals Florist

Ken Davison South Wales:

I hate to see any child crying and totally distraught

is

So you have said "no" and you mean NO, the child is crying and is totally distraught, what do you do?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

corydoras:

Parents that need to smack there kids are inadequate, or are at least lacking in self control.  

Hmmm, I wonder which one I am then? :confused:

Garth.

Ther are many ways of saying no, I till my grandson not to do something and I tell him why, saying no can also be fun.

I latched on to Big Cook Little Cook hot hot hot for things in the kitchen. He enjoys the program so when I say no hot hot hot he actually likes taking the correct action, not a tear in sight.

I have my computer area in the lounge and using a simular method he has never touched a thing, in fact he tells my grand daughter not to touch it is grandads.

You can say no without being unkind you only have to reach out and adjust to a childs way of thinking.

My grand daughter is a right handful when her parents are around and last week I looked after them both for several hours.

Mum and dad were quite shocked when I said she had been well behaved and we all had a great time. How did you do that was the question, easy I said, "We have cooked some fairy cakes, painted some pictures, gone to the park for a ride on the swings and a walk along the river to feed the ducks."

Where is she now? "Asleep on the sofa, tired and happy"

To many parents are far to busy to have children

eat.gif

Petals Florist

DavyR:

And while we're on political correctness...

http://www.expressandstar.com/articles/new...ticle_81092.php

:confused:  

That article says: "If it is a request made by an individual and other officers can reason a comprimise it is a good thing, it is a tolerance and acceptance of their beliefs and understanding,but if it were a blanket ban I don't know how it would benefit the whole issue of working together."

Why do they want to ban Blankets? has world gone mad :(:D

Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

Complete madness - all of it. Have people got nothing better to do. If we banned everything that every different religion and culture might be offended by there would be nothing.

As to super-nan - I only saw one episode, but the first thing I thought was what does that child eat and drink. They didn't show anything of her meals or snacks, but I'm willing to put money on her bad behaviour being diet related. If she had been put onto the right diet for her, I am sure she would be a different person without all this fancy super nanny stuff.

[ 05. October 2005, 10:28 PM: Message edited by: Lid ]