Match Reels

rarepleasures

What match type reel would you recommend for general float and feeder fishing.

Searching the AN forum I found Okuma Epix 30 was recommended whilst IYCF rated the Shimano Nexave 2500 FB.

Tony

Searching the AN forum I found Okuma Epix 30 was recommended whilst IYCF rated the Shimano Nexave 2500 FB.

I have an Epix and I can't fault it :thumbs:

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Okuma's have a good rep as quality reels, I would go for the epix over the nexave but some other shimano reels are really good. Depends on how much you want to spend. Daiwa reels are good as well.

If you want to use a reel for float and feeder then I wouldn't go too big, a 2500 shimano or '30' sized reel would be ideal. Any bigger and I think it would be a chore for general float work.

Look for a reel with at least 2 spools, you will normally get a shallow spool and a deep spool, use the shallow one for float and the deep one for feeder fishing.

no such thing as a match rod or reel its just a name dreamt up by manufacturers to extract more money from you :rolleyes:

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Okuma's have a good rep as quality reels, I would go for the epix over the nexave but some other shimano reels are really good. Depends on how much you want to spend. Daiwa reels are good as well.

If you want to use a reel for float and feeder then I wouldn't go too big, a 2500 shimano or '30' sized reel would be ideal. Any bigger and I think it would be a chore for general float work.

Look for a reel with at least 2 spools, you will normally get a shallow spool and a deep spool, use the shallow one for float and the deep one for feeder fishing.

Good advice here, i use the old Nexave match there great reels, but no longer available, the new one is not a patch on the old model.

I have not used one, but the Epix gets rave reviews and is worth a look.

Definitely go for a 30 size reel, i would say at this point all my Okuma bait runners are superb and if you phone there spares department extra spools are cheap and sent first class post direct.

Edited by medwaygreen

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

I have a Nexave and I find it really nice to fish with and very smooth, you should be able to pick them up for £20 I think.

While we're recommending specific models, I'd certainly give two thumbs up for the Daiwa Phantom. I've got the 7iMA 2553 (snappy name, eh?) and it's a little cracker - nice and smooth, compact, a decent clutch and two spare spools. (It's got seven bearings, if you're into counting stuff like that!) I paid about thirty quid a year or two ago, but if you google about I've seen them recently for round about the twenty mark, which is ridiculously cheap for a reel of that quality.

I think the 2500 is about the right size for light slim Float Rods. I've never handled a 3000, are they the same body as a 2500 with a different spool? They are about the same weight in the catalogue.

I have a shimano sahara 3000 GTE and an exage 2500

I know they are a different model but they are the same manufacturer, the 3000 definitely feels bigger, don't have them with me now to compare the physical sizes though

The only place I can seem to find the Okuma Epix Front Drag Reels is Swiftys. Has anyone used them before ? Will spare spools be a problem ?

See svensden sports website, they distribute okuma, ron thompson and a few other brands, I can't see spares being a problem, even if a shop doesn't sell the epix reel if they have other okumas they should be able to order you spares for the epix

no such thing as a match rod or reel its just a name dreamt up by manufacturers to extract more money from you

I disagree here, they use the descriptions to give people an idea of the rod/reels intended use, otherwise someone who is new to the sport could go out and buy a match rod and small match reel and try using them to catch 30lb carp - not ideal. The descriptions give people an indication - I agree that some are too specific i.e. tench/barbel/avon/power match - all these could be used for the same purposes but without some kind of description it would just be a rod. Imagine the labour of selecting a rod would be if it were just called a rod? the poor tackle shop worker would have to ask 20 questions to just to narrow down to the one you want