River Wensum

Jeffwill

This would be the same Kingfisher apartments that advertise the Wensum Valley as a "Haven for Wildlife" or who intend to run Otter Watching tours (for a price)

Hypocritical Tw*t <_<

Edited by Sportsman

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

The pool of well known anglers I actually respect is getting smaller by the day.

Likewise!

There was once a chance of him being the 'Big I Am' at the ACA. Not that I choose to livebait but I was surprised at his public outburst against it some years ago.

The pool of well known anglers I actually respect is getting smaller by the day.

Indeed.

However, good news for John, since there are no fish left, the meddlesome otters will soon starve.

I see you're still banging the same old drum Jeff. ;)

Does anyone know if this is the same John Bailey that had a stretch of the Yorkshire Ure, and used to write about it in the angling weeklies?

I ask because I used to read his column avidly, and often agreed with his opinions completely. Surely it must be a different one, I don't believe anyone could have such a 'U' turn in regard to wildlife.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

This would be the same Kingfisher apartments that advertise the Wensum Valley as a "Haven for Wildlife" or who intend to run Otter Watching tours (for a price)

Ah, yes, as advertised in John Bailey's Kingfisher Wildlife Diaries ('Watch this space for further details on our Tarka Tours!') on 3 September…

Bell-end.

Well spotted Yorkio, here are a couple of quotes (from here: http://www.kingfisherapartments.co.uk/wildlife.php):

Deer visit the area to drink in the evening. There’s always a chance of seeing fox and badger and the site is particularly famous for the frequent appearance of wild otters. The Wensum valley is a noted thoroughfare for these charming animals and the plethora of fish at Kingfishers means many of them stop off on their wanderings.

And don’t forget, if wildlife is your passion, it’s also ours.

On the same expedition along the river, I came across the Environment Agency's electro fishing team. Very impressed with their diligence, care and evident expertise. All the fish that they handled went back with a minimum of stress or harm. And it was also heartening to see a good head of really fine chub, perch and pike taken from such a small stretch so close to our lakes at Kingfisher. It's very easy to become gloomy about the impact that otters are making. Perhaps our fish are just a little wilier than we've ever thought them to be.

Obviously, any anglers reading this entry won't be overly pleased. Otters and anglers have the same target: fish. The difference is that anglers catch their fish and return them lovingly. Otters hardly do that. Another problem with otters, as far as anglers are concerned is that these adorable creatures also often kill for fun. If they all just took what they strictly needed and left the rest of the finny tribe alone, everybody would be a lot happier with them. Still, that's the nature of the beast and we're hardly ever going to change it.

Wierd isn't it!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Well spotted Yorkio, here are a couple of quotes (from here: http://www.kingfisherapartments.co.uk/wildlife.php):

Wierd isn't it!

I realise you don't like what he said Andrew, but there's no need to 'break' the link you gave. ;):D

I think that it might be an advertising strategy for "Tarka Tours", something to bring in a bit of cash during the winter. (More otters, mean a greater chance of otter sightings maybe?)

On the other hand maybe the "Tarka Tours" haven't been popular, so he wants rid of them.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I reckon that whilst he was fishing all of the Wye otters hid in the boot of his car so they could go and have a binge down on the Wensum and get a chance of stardom on the 'Tarka Tours' :P

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!