Deluxe Floats

Jeffwill

It is indeed Chavender, pop me in the order book will you. I'd like to have a go at this so I'm building up the cork stock, tonight a Shiraz cork will become available.

Ah yes a Shiraz cork which is of coarse slightly inferior to the Merlot cork for the more disscening float maker :lol: , Wait a moment i have just realised the Merlot we drink is in those screw top bottles bugger gonna have to change brand Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just let me encourage any one to have a bash.

First of all, find a conveniently bald crow, failing that e-bay.

Remove the quill stuff with a surgical type scalpel, running the blade with the flow of the feather.

Remove stubble with fine sandpaper.

Secondly find a convenient cork, I bought 100 corks for D.I.Y. wine makers, a quid in a local charity shop.

Using a drill stand drill hole through centre of cork to match width of feather.

Using drill piece .5 of a mm thicker than the one that drilled the hole to hold and spin cork body, use a rasp to turn off unwanted cork to give you the basic shape.

Having rasped off the surplus use fine glass paper to finalise shape and give a good finish.

A spot of glue in hole in cork and slide cork body to desired position.

Enclosed photo is my very first attempt at a cork bodied float, as yet no artistic stuff but that is the easy bit!

If I can do it then so can you!

Okay, so my d.i.y. method might not be purist stuff, but it does the job!

100_5008.jpg

Edited by Peter Waller

100_5008.jpg

I think you've done a cracking job with that cork Peter. Ive had a couple of go's at making cork bodies and Ive not found it easy stuff to shape. I'm guessing there most be different kinds/grades as some of the ones i tried to drill and shape were a bit crumbly.

Edited by lutra

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Hi Guys,

Some of you may not have seen this, it is a float making insight I wrote for another website, but it will help anyone who is looking at making their own.

Making a Cork on Cane Float

best regards

George

A Scotsman in Yorkshire...http://traditionalfloats.blogspot.co.uk/

That looks excellent Peter, I’d be pleased to get that far.

My progress is a bit slower I’m afraid but I do keep promising myself that I’ll get to the construction phase soon (the two on the far right were particularly nice)

IMG_3763.jpg

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Just let me encourage any one to have a bash.

First of all, find a conveniently bald crow, failing that e-bay.

Remove the quill stuff with a surgical type scalpel, running the blade with the flow of the feather.

Remove stubble with fine sandpaper.

Secondly find a convenient cork, I bought 100 corks for D.I.Y. wine makers, a quid in a local charity shop.

Using a drill stand drill hole through centre of cork to match width of feather.

Using drill piece .5 of a mm thicker than the one that drilled the hole to hold and spin cork body, use a rasp to turn off unwanted cork to give you the basic shape.

Having rasped off the surplus use fine glass paper to finalise shape and give a good finish.

A spot of glue in hole in cork and slide cork body to desired position.

Enclosed photo is my very first attempt at a cork bodied float, as yet no artistic stuff but that is the easy bit!

If I can do it then so can you!

Okay, so my d.i.y. method might not be purist stuff, but it does the job!

100_5008.jpg

thats how i used too do it myself ,but some corks just flake too bits as chuncks come away,so getting plenty is the way too go.

these days i use a tiny lathe too turn them

cork is very absorbant and its best sealed ,one trick is too use pva white wood glue ,it dries clear and makes a great base coat ,leave 48h too fully cure .it can then be either painted or have several coats of laquor / varnish applied too it ,i like cork with the clear varnish finish myself

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

I've only turned that one cork body so I am hardly an expert but I suspect that reconstituted corks are near useless. I was actually very surprised how quickly and easily I was able to do that one.

Chav, thanks for the tip on finishing the float.

champaigne corks are usually great ,and have that mushroom shape ideal for making bobbers , you do have too be carefull with e-bay as the descriptions aint always good ,often though the ones marketed as brewing corks arn't always the finest of grade of cork ,And there's those fake rubber type's often described as corks ,instead of bottle stoppers .i always look too the best patina's on them as any patterning will only enhance the look of the final float .and those of lesser patterning i use for painted floats ,usually though its easy too spot the good quality ones

theres these pre-formed cork float bodies ,easy too reshape ,just on the small size

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve