2. 2. alternate lighting IE not dependant on utilities

• yes
    • no
    • for an extended period ,over a week for instance
  3. 3. alternative cooking IE not dependant on utilities

• yes
    • no
    • for an extended period ,over a week for instance

Warmth shouldn't be a problem unless we get real extreme cold.

Lighting from 3 wind up torches and a little heat and some light from Tilley lamps.

I could probably catch some fish to eat :) I have quite a few gas cylinders, and a couple of Coleman stoves.

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A big open fireplace plus a woodburing stove.

Stacks of cut wood, and some scrap. Chainsaw.

Plenty of dried food in the cupboard.

Light would be a prob. We have 2 camping gaz lights and maybe 6 spare canisters. Looks like up at dawn and bed at dusk for us.

Did you know Mormon households are supposed to keep 1 years food supply for the whole family? Not sure how they plan to cook it though, or what they'll do for water.

Chesters - you forgot water. Not enough poll options?

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

<snip>

I'm guessing that most of us have a cold water tank in the loft and can therefore use that. Not ideal but since you can't predict when a big problem is gonna hit, there's not a lot more you can do - apart from havig some clean water containers around the house.

We'd certainly be fine for heat as I've got numerous fishing sleeping bags in the loft.

Food would run out pretty quickly though.

Rob.

We normally keep about a weeks worth of rations in the van but the cupboard is a bit bare in their after the end of the season.

We do have enough dried pulses tins etc. at home though to see us throughv a month or so if we had to decamp to the van.

If the caravan option is not on I suppose we could always live in the two man bivvy, at a push.

we could meet up at folkestone it would be difficult to flood there the drainage channel next door is pretty big :D

getting there though maybe the problem :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Loads of supplies on the boat but assuming that's out of bounds then 2 generators in the shed with a Tent and sleeping bags gas stoves/lamps Kerry kettle [generators would easy run freezer and lighting and a small oil filled rad ] but its how long the petrol lasts eh?? .

Got one of these and for cooking using maybe 8 briquet's of Charcoal can`t be beat http://cobb-bbq.co.uk/ ,dont use it so much now as the new boat has proper oven but great for slow cooking meats like Lamb .

Rechargable laterns/torches and Candles but don`t ask me where the Candles are hidden ,Without the frozen food i would guess a couple of weeks worth of tinned stuff Eggs and whats in the fridge ,The dogs must have a months worth of grub so they would fare better than us :lol: .

Flooding .... 2 canoes and 2 portabotes but dont think i would have liked to use either if it was raging like recently seen on the news ,Oh and 4 lifejackets i aint sinking :rolleyes: Steve

heard about the cobb via camping forums ,like decent fridges they are a little expensive to buy just in case but fine if you have some other use from it in between.

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Light would be a prob. We have 2 camping gaz lights and maybe 6 spare canisters. Looks like up at dawn and bed at dusk for us.

Did you know Mormon households are supposed to keep 1 years food supply for the whole family? Not sure how they plan to cook it though, or what they'll do for water.

no not enough options waters not to bad here even when the tanks empty lots of springs up the hill etc .

we have about 50 c206 canisters for our small lamp (or cooker) and 9 of the long obsolete c400? versions for our big lamp (the lamps rarer than the canisters for it!) 3 Aladdin paraffin lamps (the nice ones with the mantels) and several other paraffin and petrol lamps and cookers scattered about and 20 gallons (in reality 16ltrs :rolleyes: ) of paraffin and the petrol can be grabbed from the cars if they are there.

3... 4.5k calor gas bottles and cookers that fit them are also scattered about and 2 heaters for them and two that run on paraffin and a camping gaz baby that runs on the c206 carts .

tip 1 ,if you store camping gaz disposable containers spray the seams with paint or lacquer (i use chrome bumper lacquer) it stops them rusting.

tip 2 if you find our place on fire...... run :D

tip 3 dont keep them all in one basket have dumps scattered about ,those garden boxes ( about 4ft long 2.5 ft high and 2ft across) are excellent we have 4 besides the 3 sheds

http://www.greenfingers.com/superstore/pro...5071D&co=fr

you can get them far cheaper elsewhere ,siliconing the seams while assembling make them very waterproof up to the handles ,waterproof boxes with your stuff in (or vacuum bags) placed inside make them ideal but they would float ofcourse.

steel trunks with air holes drilled around the top of the sides make excellent mouse proof safes for tents and 100 and one other things mice love to eat but put vunerable things in vacuum bags and after sucking them flat use gaffa tape "rings" to stop them plumping back up if the seals are no good .

food is more difficult but army rations scattered about will keep for decades if sealed properly ,i tried stuff from 1952 about 20 years ago it was far superior to modern stuff but the 5 fags were a bit err tasty! my mate used to work at a army supply dump near guildford that and the one near alton have long gone no doubt the army now in its modern thinking puts all its eggs in one basket :rolleyes:

Edited by chesters1

After answering honestly, maybe I thinks that I should be more prepared!!

Lights, have 1 pack of candles and a couple of torches with maybe a spare battery or two.

Warmth, do the above mentioned candles count? We all have plenty of jumpers.

Cooking, Slightly better off with a gas barbie that has a sperate ring, 1/2 a dozen or so disposable barbies and a camping "trangia" with a supply of meths in the garage. Have one saving grace and that is the local chippie is fully prepared in powercuts and actively states that it will be open when there is no pwer.

We also have a couple of lightweight 2 man tents to reside in if needed.

All in all not very long term I must admit and this coming from an "unprepared" ex scout leader.

To add to the misery, if the river I live next to does breach then it will also wipe out my work place as that is further down stream and lower than my house. (No job - no home - no worries!!)

I thinks I better check the old insurance policies and put them in a water/fire/explosion/nuclear proof container some where safe. Although I do believe the wife has already taken copies round the in-laws as a back-up.

your doomed :D the barbies fine though it can burn sticks.

trouble with small tents we found was after a few days you needed to stand up ,looks silly if its peeing down though.cooking is also dangerous as well when you cant get outside ,tents burn frighteningly fast one they get going. :o

you can get waterproof "safes" for your really important stuff and never leave them downstairs and keep them handy to grab in an escape .

so long as you have your ID safe the other stuff is unimportant .we lost most of what we didnt burn (we had to leave our home in a short time in 2000) we burnt everything that could burn ,skipped everything that couldnt and used my sisters garage (or what was left when her car was in) we got this place and moved in with a fridge ,freezer (both needed rewiring due to damp in the garage) 2 seats a sideboard and a tv .We lost most other stuff due to damp despite it all being stored in plastic bags inside plastic bags inside boxes.Fishing tackle was fine in her loft

No big deal its just stuff ,now we have lots more and learnt lessons.

not the first time probably not the last but stuff is just stuff and even when your destitute eventually you can replace it :D

i think the best way of getting set up for emergencies is to be very poor (plenty of experience there) so you have to surmount obstacles ,running out of money gets you motivated to finding alternate methods of heating etc

and living in the sticks in an electric only house which is prone to power cuts ,no good moping or whining at the leccy company just get around it.chopping down far off silver birches at 2am for firewood in the old house was definitely thought of in the last one :D

i'm quite surprised at the amount of no votes as an angling forum i was sure there would be none ,i added the 3rd option thinking everyone else would have coleman lamps and duel fuels etc perhaps not having them means they are not sea anglers (although lamps are becoming a thing of the past?) nor carpers ,perhaps no is a statement that they are "real" anglers :D

Edited by chesters1

we could meet up at folkestone it would be difficult to flood there the drainage channel next door is pretty big :D

getting there though maybe the problem :D

Not a bad idea I fancy a trip to Folkestone Warren next year to try this out. Mind you rising sea levels could threaten the site, in the event of the Apocalypse.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Not a bad idea I fancy a trip to Folkestone Warren next year to try this out. Mind you rising sea levels could threaten the site, in the event of the Apocalypse.

hope to see you there! were off in April (hopefully) when it opens ,pity its such a short season there.

we tend to go early and late season the fees for high season are beyond us now :(

nice to get the place to yourself we tend to be the only tent amongst plenty of motorhomes etc

in this pic after a week a couple more trailer tents and a few small ones turned up for the weekend but it was all bloomin motorhomes bar us till then

were in the one nearest in our usual pitch 29 (its almost flat so the tent goes up pretty good)

the CC&C are negotiating with the railway to see if they will let caravans use the track ,if so i guess more hardstandings will go in and tents a rarity on electric pitches :angry:

hopefully they will resist ,not because i hate caravans but my mrs knows we could never afford another motorhome but a caravan is (in her mind) a cheap option .not sure i want to tow one myself the trailer tent is ok ....just!

Edited by chesters1