2. 2. alternate lighting IE not dependant on utilities

• yes
    • no
    • for an extended period ,over a week for instance
  3. 3. alternative cooking IE not dependant on utilities

• yes
    • no
    • for an extended period ,over a week for instance

be choosy when buying a generator ,under 1kw is ok for lights ,2kw you can run lights and a small telly and a low wattage (camping type) kettle.The higher the figure the more you can run at once.and dont be fooled by peak output thats when the poor things screaming its head off

my boss wanted the lot so he bought a diesel 5kw but the price was not what normal people pay for the odd power cut although it was used a fair bit as the powers dodgy hereabouts.

he had it professionally installed so it took over the complete electric system when it came on ( the national grid was isolated) but if you have lamps etc separate from your house wiring you can run anything you please.

ALL are gob smackingly expensive to run compared to what comes out of the grid they are extremely noisy as well but far quieter than in the past the suitcase types have a limited output but are very quiet.

he had his installed in an outhouse well away from anyone

We have the Suitcase Honda EU20I and its a great bit of kit and if not putting under to much load the tank on it lasts about 8 hrs but thats just a light and the TV for eg ,Very quite until you make them work hard but even then much quiter than a cage frame geny with say a Briggs and Stratton howling away ,Depends if you want the Neighbours to hear that you have power and they don`t i suppose :rolleyes: .

kippor also make a copy of the Honda which is also good but not as well built or quite under load but far cheaper so you pays your money and all that .....

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/articles/view.asp?id=30

http://cobb-bbq.co.uk/products.html

Going off on a tangent a bit this is also a great bit of kit but forget the BBQ bit just use as a Oven or Smoker for cooking ,Not cheap to buy but mega cheap to run and great for cooking meat slowly esp Lamb and you put the lid on forget about it untill cooked :thumbs:

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

saw the cob before it looks a good bit of kit ,not seen one at a bootfair yet so well beyond our reach.

we use the smoker as an oven but moreso as a smoker as you can chuck even pout in one in an emergency and it comes out almost nice :D

we bought a mini oven last year for camping on the electric hook up would come in handy in a gas strike if thats possible today.

we got sick of non oven cooked stuff when away for more than a couple of days and at 700 watts ideal for pasties the smoker in oven mode burned them as it was difficult to regulate

beware the kippors ;) you pay more for honda but you get a honda warrenty

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Is it legal to fill a propane bottle from a LPG outlet eg garage

no the fittings are different ,its also against the rules to use an LPG powered vehicle on the channel tunnel ,or is that in?

simply got around i suppose by not telling them it is?

just thought i'd pop that in as LPG was mentioned ,its also that in car type LPG theres an extremely pungent odour put in to let you know if you have a leak! in cooking using it as it isnt burnt so efficiently perhaps the pongs still there.

saying that some motorhomes now have bulk tanks but whether the cookers are designed take away the pong i have no idea??? Anyone

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Its just a caravanning mate of mine has an adapter and uses this just wondered if it was legal or not ,he has not mentioned whether it smells more or not ,knowing what the gas does smell like would it need an additive to make it smell more

Number me with Rage it,s a shame Number me in Haste its a shame

as far as i read its extremely pungent so even the smallest leak is noticed ,i probably have the same effect on the mrs eating sprouts :D

OH yes were copying dads army ,i collect my farts in a double airbed and when its full as full can be we strap it to the roof of the car with a tube into the carb and its off to the shops.Extremely handy if a heron fell out of of the sky and landed on us as well :thumbs: well not if it landed beak first

Edited by chesters1

OH yes were copying dads army ,i collect my farts in a double airbed and when its full as full can be we strap it to the roof of the car with a tube into the carb and its off to the shops.Extremely handy if a heron fell out of of the sky and landed on us as well :thumbs: well not if it landed beak first

aim 2,3, bang 2,3, oops! :P

At some of my LPG fill up points they've warned against filling up bottles even with the right adaptors.......somebody blew up a rather expensive motorhome!

I presume there are pressure differences!?

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

i dont know i'v never seen a LPG outlet in a garage (or more likely never noticed one being blinded by the bloody price of petrol) but i would imagine its harder to put gas in a cylinder than in a tank? LPG users?????

when it comes to gas cylinders if you have the choice buy the 15kg ones the smaller ones have VAT on them but the largest blues (theres bigger reds) are VAT free because they are classed a a heating size (or it maybe they are 5% VAT things change and labours greedy) strangely the calor site has the 15kg inc VAT but cheaper than the smaller cylinder KG for KG :wacko:

https://secure.calor.co.uk/OrderCalorCylind...PageType=butane

hmmm nice site! for those that use LPG vehicles calor have a useful TOMTOM POI download that shows them

http://www.calor.co.uk/lpg-autogas/lpg-refuelling.html

LPG isnt the savior of car users pockets it uses (differing stats ) about 20% more fuel and is about 10% less power but in the long term is cheaper on the pocket but thats until more use it then it will no doubt be taxed just as much as pertrol ;) what come out your exaust though is better well until they look harder that is !once catalytic converters were going to save the planet :rolleyes: now cats just give big money to cat makers your car is still demonised just as it was before

YESSS got out to sainsburies ,followed a car spraying slush everywhere up the road but with the mrs sitting with her feet out of the boot and our thin van tyres on we chugged (on 3 cylinders by the amount of smoke) up without incident and infact made a track right through to the tarmac ,sainsburies was packed with humans not sure getting out was wise its very quiet around here no children theve been sold as meat ,Hey its a small village change takes time ,now child sweeps have been outlawed monies short.I ofcourse looked after the old lady next door she's not lost any weight at all

Edited by chesters1