Am I being spun a yarn?

Rusty

I received a pair of neoprene gloves for Christmas last year, the ones with the fold over tips so you can expose the thumb and index finger. I used them for a bit but to be honest they weren’t very warm so they got pushed to the back of the wardrobe.

I’ve now been told that for them to be effective I need to get them wet so they act like a wet suit i.e. trapping a layer of water between hand and glove which then warms up with body heat.

Sounds very implausible to me, I haven’t tested the theory yet and wondered what others thought before I plunged my hands into an icy river.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Never heard that before!

I've got some waterproof and windproof gloves coming for xmas. They were from the local Army surplus store and look excellent. I hope they live up to it, cold and wet hands in the bitter mid-winter is horrible.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

That's deffo a modern old wives tale there Rusty. I've found the gloves you describe to be very good. The ones I use are the ron tompson one's in a blue colour with patches of light grey swade on them. I think if your hands are cold before you put the gloves on it takes yonk's for them to warm up !

I have also heard that, also heard that vasaline keeps the water out and provides another barrier, but, I never found any neoprene that were comfortable.

Got some woolen gloves with hard bobbles for the wet, they are golfing gloves and are spot on, some super dupa thinsulate goretex fingerless for really cold

Not altogether an old wives tale. Those of us who sail sometimes use neoprene wet suits and yes, they are called wet suits because they are designed to get wet and that layer of water does warm up, eventually.

Those gloves, I have had them, found them worse than useless when it was really cold.

Best gloves that I have found to date are the Gore windstoppers. Unfortunately they are quitee xpensive and you have to cut out your own finger holes. Fortunately I got mine free from the company I work for but if I had to pay for them myself then I would probably have not done it

Wet suits are only useful if you absolutely have to get wet and have no choice.

You stay much warmer if you stay dry.

Wet material transmits body heat 25 time faster than the same dry material.

I have tried the neoprene gloves and am not particularly impressed, wet or dry.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Neoprene is also used for dry suits and to make the boots on the bottom of game fishing waders. I know people dont want to be wet in a dry suit, nor have wet feet from waders, so i'd suggest keeping your gloves dry...

ok ,here is my cheapskate guide too winter water proof gloves ,get one cheap pair of knitted thermal fingerless gloves (the thin whooly ones ,not padded or flip over mitten type) thinsulite ones at a pinch but these will be bulky ,next get a pair of washing up gloves the rubber type ,a bigger size is recommended .put your fingerless gloves on then the rubber ones over these ,mark the rubber gloves just past each end of the fingerless gloves (about 3mm) on each digit ,cut the caps off and hay presto you now have a waterproof outer skin for your gloves that also has a gaurntlet you can either push up your coat sleave or over it too seal too the elements

i get the black ones with a banded rim from the poundshop ,they're orange on the reverse and have textured fingertips and palm and widish gaurntlet with the band too keep its shape .

SA-GLRUBCR-20%20-%20Crinkle%20Black%20Rubber%20Gloves.jpg

the thermal fingerless knitted gloves ,any cheap pair will do but preferably ones that have short cut fingers

phillip-lim-cashmere-fingerless-gloves_102107.jpg

you can then simply pull one the waterproof outer when needed ,and it help keep extra warmth in but enough air too circulate too prevent sweating etc

total cost about £3 ,£2 for fingerless gloves from market ,£1 for the rubber gloves from pound shop result dry warm hands

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve