It's getting colder so when is it not worth fishing?

Dales

And setting your sights a tad lower perhaps!

Blimey Chris if I do that I'll be taking fish to the venue to put them in! :D

I always arrive knowing it's going to be a great day...as the day goes on I become a little less knowing that's all.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some of the best chub to grace my net have been caught with deep snow on the ground. Grayling are usually up for it but do remember the glycerine for the rod rings. I never target pike but I had one last year holding on tight to a grayling in very cold weather. For the chub either a nice big helping of bait right on the nose or as little as a single pinkie or caster trotted slowly.

Hi you all,

Joined AN a few weeks ago, I have fished for over 50 years and in the U.K. I have fished in several inches of snow on the ground and with ice forming at the edges of the river and it snowing.

Just wrap up well and remember a warm hat is a must, now days you can treat yourself to a thermal suit (what luxury...hehehe) fingerless gloves if you must, plus warm shoes/boots, a brolly is great to help prevent windchill or perhaps a bivvy (but I am no expert on bivvy's). A warm drink in the flask and maybe a second flask with some hot soup. If you are unsure go with a mate or stay at home. I fished all through the winters of 1963 and 1976 without a problem so can you. But remember when the weather and you are a bit cold it can take am lot longer to pack up so stop early enough to pack up have the last of your drink / soup before walking back to the car or home. The only blank day I have ever had was in flood conditions with the normally slow water in very strong flow (bordering on white water) not a good time for fish used to a gentle flow

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Hi you all,

Joined AN a few weeks ago, I have fished for over 50 years and in the U.K. I have fished in several inches of snow on the ground and with ice forming at the edges of the river and it snowing.

The only blank day I have ever had was in flood conditions with the normally slow water in very strong flow (bordering on white water) not a good time for fish used to a gentle flow

Welcome aboard Watatoad.

Sound advice.

One blank in 50 years though. That's quite some record. I blanked in 5 out of 8 fishing sessions last January! You must be doing something right.

In the meantime, I'm blanking for England... :blink:

Edited by tiddlertamer

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

Hi,

I have never match fished so I have no idea's of the pressure you must be under to win, maybe if you relaxed a little more and treated it as just a few hours pleasure fishing and tried to forget the match it might help. Possibly even going back to basics might help. I have also never fished a commercial fishery and generally don't use ground bait after the beginning of December, unless it is a very mild winter.

I am a pure pleasure fisherman...although very keen and according to my wife fanatical...hehehe...and she still says such nice things about me after 36 years...hehehe...she also makes my floats to my patterns, plus she will even come fishing (although she does not fish) in any weather. I do realize I am very lucky having a wife like her.

Pity nothing I can say or do will encourage her to fish, she comes with me now as I have a few serious medical problems and not just to check I am fishing and not playing around.

Hi,

I have never match fished so I have no idea's of the pressure you must be under to win, maybe if you relaxed a little more and treated it as just a few hours pleasure fishing and tried to forget the match it might help. Possibly even going back to basics might help. I have also never fished a commercial fishery and generally don't use ground bait after the beginning of December, unless it is a very mild winter.

I am a pure pleasure fisherman...although very keen and according to my wife fanatical...hehehe...and she still says such nice things about me after 36 years...hehehe...she also makes my floats to my patterns, plus she will even come fishing (although she does not fish) in any weather. I do realize I am very lucky having a wife like her.

Pity nothing I can say or do will encourage her to fish, she comes with me now as I have a few serious medical problems and not just to check I am fishing and not playing around.

brilliant advice and a joy to read your posts................are you mr crabtree!!!!! lol

brilliant advice and a joy to read your posts................are you mr crabtree!!!!! lol

Many thanks for the compliment, although I am not Mr. Crabtree, simply a keen angler who started fishing some 57 years ago, and one who was fortunate enough to have been taught firstly by some very good although very old fishermen (friends of my grandfather) and then by listening carefully to all advice and suggestions given by every angler I have ever met. Even today I try to learn more about fishing, being a fisherman whose old tackle has often been the target of friendly mickey tacking, by fishermen whose shiny new tackle and loaded boxes and trolley's makes my tackle look like something found on a local refuse tip. up until they watch me fish...they seem to usually stop laughing then. Maybe there is a trick or two in this old Toad yet...hehehe

But we are going off topic, for which I apologize.

Because some reels can give problems in cold weather I either use a sub zero rated grease or my favorite graphite grease and model train oil. I use smaller hooks and switch to old fashioned and traditional baits, white maggot, worm, bread, cheese paste, and whatever else I see on the bank side or in the shallows including silk weed if there is any about.

The other point to watch is your line some lines can get very brittle as well as loosing their flexibility in cold weather check out a length of yours in the freezer wet it, freeze it then examine it with a magnifying glass look for fraying and see if it breaks easier once subjected to the cold and damp. And always examine your line before you go, best a couple of days before you go so if it is not up to the job you can replace it before it lets you down and you loose that personal best. I also always keep my weights in an inside pocket to keep them warm in an attempt to try to avoid the metal/material getting sharp and hard edges which may nip or cut and therefore weaken the line.

I do not believe anyone who has not fished the water you are fishing in the same conditions you are experiencing can really tell you what bait to use or how to fish it. That comes down to personal experience and water craft (reading the water and trying to think as the fish do), not forgetting each of us sets up our tackle in a slightly different way. The most anyone on here can do is to try and explain what has worked for them.

Just think about what you are doing and keep warm and safe.

I will sit here and drink soup, and await your report and photos :D

I’m afraid I’ll have to disappoint you, a chublet saved a blank and witnessing this dawn was very pleasant but those were the highlights of the day. This venue is infuriating.

IMG_3797-1.jpg

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Maybe I need to get back out there and try to bag a few more Pike.

Just need to get over the bout of man flu I am suffering from.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek