I need some new waders

arbocop

A word of caution if you were thinking of a Speen recce in the near future. Where the access track passes under the A34 there is a huge puddle spanning the track for about 30 feet. You can’t avoid it and in these weather conditions it will be an ice rink.

Get much more rain and it will be impassable - I've seen over 3 foot of water under that bridge - I'd say that it was impassable 1 winter in 2!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've used more waders than I care to think about of all grades/ranges over my forty plus years of, erm, wading.

One thing is now clear - for the types of fishing I do they all get holes in very quickly whatever they are made of!! I repair my waders about once a month on average, I would say. In my experience breathables don't work for me as I sweat exessively (everybody sweats at different intensities so, if you're a sweaty type, think hard about the expense) and they won't breathe when they are submerged anyway.

My solution has been to use cheap chesties and repair them as needed. This I do with patches cut from old inner tubes and glue them on with super glue. I summer I wear a belt around the middle and can then roll them down to cool off a bit. This way I can get 2-3 years out of 35-40 quid.

Just a word of caution, the soles on cheapo's are not but if you use a staff and care you'll be ok.

Sleeping we image what awake we wish;

Dogs dream of bones, and fishermen of fish.

Get much more rain and it will be impassable - I've seen over 3 foot of water under that bridge - I'd say that it was impassable 1 winter in 2!

C.

Thanks for that Chris a mate of mine had already warned me of the flood potential under the bridge fortunately,Rusty the dates you mention would be fine with the weekend being a better bet than the friday for me,Hopefully Chris and Mike could make it to for a pin fest ,Hope everyone has a great Christmas Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Guest bbamboo
I've used more waders than I care to think about of all grades/ranges over my forty plus years of, erm, wading.

One thing is now clear - for the types of fishing I do they all get holes in very quickly whatever they are made of!! I repair my waders about once a month on average, I would say. In my experience breathables don't work for me as I sweat exessively (everybody sweats at different intensities so, if you're a sweaty type, think hard about the expense) and they won't breathe when they are submerged anyway.

My solution has been to use cheap chesties and repair them as needed. This I do with patches cut from old inner tubes and glue them on with super glue. I summer I wear a belt around the middle and can then roll them down to cool off a bit. This way I can get 2-3 years out of 35-40 quid.

Just a word of caution, the soles on cheapo's are not but if you use a staff and care you'll be ok.

Toady your right.

getting cheep waders with felt soles which will take studs is almost imposable these days.

if you think breathables will knock you back over £100 plus how many pairs can you get of the cheeper ones even if they only last a season.

What we need is a return back to cheep waders with half decent soles again.

A word of caution if you were thinking of a Speen recce in the near future. Where the access track passes under the A34 there is a huge puddle spanning the track for about 30 feet. You can’t avoid it and in these weather conditions it will be an ice rink.

Both times I've fished at Speen that puddle has been there! Even when it's been fairly dry it seems to loiter. It was well over wheel depth in May last year when I tried fluff chucking.

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Excellent news Steve,

I’m off work on Friday 15th Jan and was planning a trip to Speen to try out some new kit so if anyone else can make it on that day (or perhaps 16th/17th) we could get together.

Unfortunately, that weekend is my turn to be on the weekend rota at work. I may be able to manage the Friday as annual leave, but it might be tricky. However, I may be able to swap rota's so it may still be on.

Mike

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

I second the advice for Orvis.

Best after sales service in the business. ;)

So Orvis breathables are good, and another vote for Scierra. However, which neoprene are also recommended. I have one vote for Leeda.

Anyone had any good rubber thigh waders? I've seen some nice Aigle here. They look somewhat akin to the Streamfisher and Keenfisher I used to like so much. Anyone tried them?

Unfortunately, that weekend is my turn to be on the weekend rota at work. I may be able to manage the Friday as annual leave, but it might be tricky. However, I may be able to swap rota's so it may still be on.

Mike

I am sure i can manage to convince myself to give me the day off on Friday if needs be :lol: ,What happens if it is flooded at the underpass bit do we leave the vehicles on the far side??

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

I had some Leeda rubber thight waders and they only lasted half a dozen trips out before splitting in several spots, personally I wouldn't buy another pair. The soles where cheap and nasty cleated one's and I felt every small pebble I stood on.

The waders I have are actually hunter stream fisher and you do still get batches of them coming up on ebay.

Regarding the Aigle one's, if there as good as their wellingtons they'll be excellent, I reckon if I couldn't get the streamfishers I'd have a stab at the Aigles.