3 Veined Fluted Float

George387

Comparing the older floats that I found with some more recent ones (mid 60's?) there is a definate difference between "fluted" and "vanned" I would call the "solid block" constructed floats that I was more used to "fluted" and ones like in the scan as "vanned".

Its also interesting that on the BFW thread its asked why these floats were never really taken up.A lot of the great match anglers of yester year never rated them.Maybe they were simply to clumsy for their delicate aproach but would be better suited to big fish tactics? Then would the float fishing greats have liked 4SSG Loafers/Chubbers?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Comparing the older floats that I found with some more recent ones (mid 60's?) there is a definate difference between "fluted" and "vanned" I would call the "solid block" constructed floats that I was more used to "fluted" and ones like in the scan as "vanned".

Its also interesting that on the BFW thread its asked why these floats were never really taken up.A lot of the great match anglers of yester year never rated them.Maybe they were simply to clumsy for their delicate aproach but would be better suited to big fish tactics? Then would the float fishing greats have liked 4SSG Loafers/Chubbers?

Im an avid follower & reader of Billy Lane & his Books, as we all know Billy Lane was the World Champion and probably the best angler of his time and he actually hated fluted floats!

Billy said they were of a too complicated design to suit the needs of the angler and he continued to fish with his set of 7 Avon Floats which he swore by.

So there maybe something in what the auld boys say? who knows

A Scotsman in Yorkshire...http://traditionalfloats.blogspot.co.uk/

Billy was a great angler, but he was primarily a match angler, which means his strikes would always be with a match angling base which may be why he disliked the slash that occurs when these floats are struck hard. He was also a man who always had considerable ability with line control so probably he could see no real need for them personally.

Whereas us lesser anglers might find them helpful for trotting control, just as I have seen some anglers who could trot easily as well with a fixed spool as most anglers do with a centrepin.

My advice to everyone is get a couple of fluted or vaned floats try them in different conditions and on different waters and see how they suit your personal style of fishing.

I particularly like vaned floats and have adapted some to help me keep stationary on stillwaters when its windy but I use a variation of the windbeater/driftbeater.

However the construction is vary variable and many of you luckier anglers have some good fast trotting waters to give them a real test on, I am looking forward to hearing how they work out.

Incidentally here in Suffolk we have had more snow since lunchtime and its still coming down...I am getting fed up with it now...what happened to global warming did it go off on holiday? I was looking forward to mild winters more fishing...perhaps someone forgot to tell the weather it was meant to be affected by global warming. Perhaps its a load of rubbish and my teachers back in the fifties were right the Earth has a shake and we go through cold and hot periods naturally, like people having fairs and fires and markets on the Thames just a few years ago (planet time) not man time.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Hi Rod,

Your right about the slash when striking, Ive now completed the 4 vein floats, and the final coat is on the 3 vein which I started a day or so after, as always I make 2 of the float Im building if its an odd ball so I will have a good try with the 3 vein this weekend...weather permitting. Ive fished the 4 veins in the past and never really took to them myself but always willing to try things a few times.

flutes.jpg

A Scotsman in Yorkshire...http://traditionalfloats.blogspot.co.uk/

Hi Rod,

Your right about the slash when striking, Ive now completed the 4 vein floats, and the final coat is on the 3 vein which I started a day or so after, as always I make 2 of the float Im building if its an odd ball so I will have a good try with the 3 vein this weekend...weather permitting. Ive fished the 4 veins in the past and never really took to them myself but always willing to try things a few times.

flutes.jpg

Very nice George, very nice. :thumbs:

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

The float shown with it (left) is what appears to be a normally constructed four vane but the eyes point to it being used as a slider.

Do you not think the eyes could be so it hangs right in the flow?

I can't speak for others, but the kind of long trotting on my local river that I've been doing, you need some buoyancy/weight to get your bait down and a good sized top to see at up to 50 yards.

Ive just tested my new float and it takes 3bb and 1 number 6 which should be OK for my faster winter pegs. 4-5bb floats are what I've been using in the warmer months in the faster summer pegs. I can see how that may seem heavy if you match fish on slower rivers, but i couldn't get my bait down with out it.

I can't speak for others, but the kind of long trotting on my local river that I've been doing, you need some buoyancy/weight to get your bait down and a good sized top to see at up to 50 yards.

Ive just tested my new float and it takes 3bb and 1 number 6 which should be OK for my faster winter pegs. 4-5bb floats are what I've been using in the warmer months in the faster summer pegs. I can see how that may seem heavy if you match fish on slower rivers, but i couldn't get my bait down with out it.

I use floats taking 4 to 8 bb's most of the time on my local river.