3 Veined Fluted Float

George387

Do you not think the eyes could be so it hangs right in the flow?

Sorry Brian Ive just noticed I didnt read your post correctly.

On the three vane float the positioning of the side eye would indicate that it is to ensure the float is in the right position (vane wise) in the flow. However the four vane "slider" has the same (both at 90 deg to the float) eye arranghement as running water sliders do. That said you may be quite correct and this again is just there for the same reasons as above!

I wont really know till Ive tried I suppose but feel the "slider" eye set up would/may still have problems with the float "spinning" where the eye lay out on the three vane should stop it.Be interesting to find out.

The position of the side eye on the three vane seems low to me in that it would be under the water,not how I would ideally want my line when trotting.

So how do people think these vaned floats should be shotted then? With the vanes submerged or shotted to the "shoulder"? or of course the eye?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Brian Ive just noticed I didnt read your post correctly.

On the three vane float the positioning of the side eye would indicate that it is to ensure the float is in the right position (vane wise) in the flow. However the four vane "slider" has the same (both at 90 deg to the float) eye arranghement as running water sliders do. That said you may be quite correct and this again is just there for the same reasons as above!

I wont really know till Ive tried I suppose but feel the "slider" eye set up would/may still have problems with the float "spinning" where the eye lay out on the three vane should stop it.Be interesting to find out.

The position of the side eye on the three vane seems low to me in that it would be under the water,not how I would ideally want my line when trotting.

So how do people think these vaned floats should be shotted then? With the vanes submerged or shotted to the "shoulder"? or of course the eye?

Don't know for sure Budgie, I think all you can do is try all ways and see what happens.

I'm not sure any of are floats will work in a way that is advantageous.

I'm off testing next. So i will either come back shouting how good they are or put them in a box at the back of the shed for someone to fine in 40 years time...........

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Yes I'm nearly at the same stage mate! Just got to varnish the two Ive made and re touch the paint and varnish on the two I pictured.Not sure what to expect really and I can see a lot of playing around with shotting and probably the positioning of the side eyes.

Will have to wait till I can get to a decent bit of running water though.I still have this nagging doubt that they will be pants though! simply because they have never become popular.If they could do what they are meant to in regards to holding a line beyond the rod tip then why aren't they used,or did the Waggler just make them redundant? Ah well we will see. Whatever its been an interesting diversion during the snow in!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Don't know if this will help but remember it's a float for line control when trotting, my best advice would be to shot up:

1: Flowing water - bait running in front or following the float standard trotting setup.

2: Still water main- weight just under the float additional weight just to get the bait down.

Don't forget they are said to be best with an upstream wind.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Hi Chaps,

Apologies for not getting back to you yesterday but had to do a job yesterday which took 11 & a half hours to drive to, complete & get back again so was a late night.

Here as promised are my pics of the 1st 3 vein float I have built or seen until you guys posted the pics earlier.

Thanks to everyone for their input & feedback as always invaluable.

3vein1.jpg

3vein2.jpg

A Scotsman in Yorkshire...http://traditionalfloats.blogspot.co.uk/

Yes very nice George and as expected you've raised the bar way higher. :thumbs:

I manage to get out and have a go with my triple fluted float yesterday. It was on a small river and it was hand numbingly cold, so not the best conditions for testing these floats and playing around with different setups.

My initial findings were that yes it does grip the water more and therefor takes a little more force to hold it back which seems to counter out any extra force that it takes to pull it off line. I can see how gripping the water will help it on its way with an up stream wind blowing, but Ive yet to see any improved line when holding back beyond the rod tip. Another thing that i noticed was that it seems to create a little more disturbance on the surface (bigger v-wave) when holding back.

Hopefully things will warm up a bit soon and i can get back on a bigger river and do some better testing.

Brian.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Yes very nice George and as expected you've raised the bar way higher. :thumbs:

I manage to get out and have a go with my triple fluted float yesterday. It was on a small river and it was hand numbingly cold, so not the best conditions for testing these floats and playing around with different setups.

My initial findings were that yes it does grip the water more and therefor takes a little more force to hold it back which seems to counter out any extra force that it takes to pull it off line. I can see how gripping the water will help it on its way with an up stream wind blowing, but Ive yet to see any improved line when holding back beyond the rod tip. Another thing that i noticed was that it seems to create a little more disturbance on the surface (bigger v-wave) when holding back.

Hopefully things will warm up a bit soon and i can get back on a bigger river and do some better testing.

Brian.

Thanks Lads....

Brian,

your 3 vein was on par with mine without doubt so dont under estimate yourself :)

I knew the fluted floats disturbed the water more than a normal one especially when holding back, Ive used them in the past as I said to Ron earlier in the post but I wasnt all too keen on them but will give them a try again soon when I can get back out, Im just hoping river levels dont rise too much for sunday so I can get out.

Brian you need to invest in a peacock hand warmer, I have nothing bad to say about them and only wish I had discovered them back in my army days..it would have made things so much nicer...lol :D

Great workmanship looking forward to hearing more on their performance

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

• 4 weeks later...
Great workmanship looking forward to hearing more on their performance

Hi Guys, a few weeks have passed now and I have been using the 3 & 4 vein fluted floats on my trips out instead of my normal avons and I have to say Im more and more getting to like them over my avons...which I never thought Id say. :huh:

The 4 vein fluted one shown in the pic is the one Ive been concentrating on as its 5BB and just the right size for my style of fishing and compared to my favourite avon :rolleyes: (we all have a favourite float) it leaves my avon standing with keeping in the stream and staying the course as well as sensitivity when fish take the bait.

I hate to say it but I think I will personally be using the veined floats a lot more than my avons.

newfluted.jpg