Fireline Crystal

Anderoo

I don't like the sawing noise either. I tried braid a few seasons ago and couldn't get on with it at all - too 'direct', that horrible noise, and when legering it would float up the surface and get stuck in weed or blown about. I liked it more for piking, but eventually went back to 15lb mono for that too.

But I've never tried it for trotting, so I should give it a fair go. Quite looking forward to trying it out now!

The disadvantages mentioned above are the advantages for trotting!! High bouyancy, lack of stretch, easy to mend and the 'directness' to keep in touch with the float are just what you need for a trotting line. I used Fireline ofr years and switched to Crystal when it came out....wouldn't go back to mono.....

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok 40yds it is

Sorry, call me a pedant.

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

The disadvantages mentioned above are the advantages for trotting!! High bouyancy, lack of stretch, easy to mend and the 'directness' to keep in touch with the float are just what you need for a trotting line. I used Fireline ofr years and switched to Crystal when it came out....wouldn't go back to mono.....

C.

Exactly! The fact I can have one pin with line on it for every occasion is also a huge benefit. It will be interesting to see what difference it makes to grayling fishing, several people have said that you lose a lot fewer fish with braid. I hope so, I lost stacks last time I went to the Itchen, some very big ones too...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

It arrived yesterday, it looks really good - maybe I'll become a braid convert after all! Can't wait for the weekend...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

How does Braid compare to mono for bedding in and does anyone have the comparisons for line diameter for the same strength in say Drennen floatfish?

Can't help with the diameter question but I've found there to be no difference in bedding. I only load about 50 yards so it's not a problem with either but I fish rivers where that's plenty, trotting long distances will need more. It also means I can get two reels worth out of a single spool which is good when it's £25 a spool. For a given reel diameter a wide drum will take more line without bedding than a narrow drum.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

How does Braid compare to mono for bedding in and does anyone have the comparisons for line diameter for the same strength in say Drennen floatfish?

It does bed in, but less so. I still get 1 in 5 casts coming back at me after sailing half way accross the river.

Mainly after a big fish though.

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

I spooled some on a closed face reel and some on a pin. The line on the closed face reel beds in more than a normal mono but there is too little of it on the pin to worry about. I would say however that the properties of the line make it spot on for trotting and give a better feel to catching small fish on light tackle. It is a bit un nerving retrieving a decent chub in the flow on a light rod though!

I want to use it for dace, roach, small chub, etc with a light float rod, and also for big chub with an Avon rod.

I never used it and can see that it may be good for roach, dace, small chub etc with a light rod, but for big chub with an Avon rod?

I look forward to hearing how you get on with it, especially if its at close range on your small rivers.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I never used it and can see that it may be good for roach, dace, small chub etc with a light rod, but for big chub with an Avon rod?

I look forward to hearing how you get on with it, especially if its at close range on your small rivers.

If using a fixed spool I reckon the drag would need setting pretty slack to compensate for the lack of line stretch(buffer) to help stop hook pulls.