Winter Fishing Campaign

Worms

The Lugg has finally receded to a level that is fishable and accessible. I had the afternoon off so I whizzed up to the tackle shop and bought some maggots, robbed a tin of sweetcorn from the kitchen cupboard and stashed my new secret bait in my pocket. I tucked my Wizard under my arm, the new 'pin in the bag and set off across the fields.

The ground was still frozen (-5 for the last three nights) but the sun had softened the top half inch to a particularly greasy slime which made walking hard work. Anyway the sun was shining, the birds were singing and best of all, nobody was fishing the stretch I wanted! Buzzards were mewing and ravens were cronking all over the place........this was going to be a good session!

The water is still that funny snow-melt-green colour but not too bad. I had loaded the reel with 4lb Sensor and tackled up with a homemade sort of Avon, 5BB and a no.6 about 8" from a no 12 hook. I decided to fish a pool that is about 6-7' deep. I trotted and fed maggot, corn and new bait to no avail, not even a brownie was stirring. I altered shotting, depth, hook sizes, hook shapes the lot, still nothing.

Anyway after about an hour of nothing I decided to move upstream to where a little brook flows in to the river. I fed the stretch, and sat and pondered tactics. I started with the same rig as I had used on the pool but using a long-shank size 14 fine wire hook crammed with about 8 maggots. Wallis casting in this and the previous area is a non-starter (for me anyway) it's a case of poke the rod through the trees, pull a couple of loops of line from the reel and swing the float, lob style, to where you want it. I managed to get a nice line in dropping the float on the far edge of the fast water where the brook flowed in on the far bank. Fourth trot down the float wobbled slightly, I struck and bloody hell, fish on! It was obviously a halfway reasonable grayling from the head shaking and dogged resistance. A run upstream confirmed it. I got it into the net and estimated the weight to be about 1lb 6oz, a nice scale and fin perfect cock fish but a little on the thin side.

1stfishonnewpin1lb6oz.jpg

My first fishing trip of the year, my first fish of the year and my first fish on the new reel, not a monster but a very pretty one that put up a spirited scrap to deserve his freedom! Another 40 minutes saw nothing else so I packed up and came home to a nice mug of tea.

Tackle talk :rolleyes:

The reel?.........Dead chuffed, it felt as if I'd been using it for years (mind you it's done a few hours spinning in front of the telly), it trotted a line beautifully, it will only improve with time as it runs in. The ratchet works a treat and the balance on the Wizard is great, Can't wait to get at the chub and barbel!

My floats aren't a patch on some of those shown on here but it worked :D

The Allcock's Wizard is one of those very special rods. I had heard people ranting about them for ever, then one came along at a price I couldn't refuse. I thought it was a bit underpowered at first but no. A bloody top class rod, superbly sensitive but steely when you get stuck in. A thoroughbred, all the hype was right for once! I wouldn't ever dream of getting rid of it. If you get the chance to lay your hands on one do it, even if you don't fish with cane. You might become converted :P

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Lugg has finally receded to a level that is fishable and accessible. I had the afternoon off so I whizzed up to the tackle shop and bought some maggots, robbed a tin of sweetcorn from the kitchen cupboard and stashed my new secret bait in my pocket. I tucked my Wizard under my arm, the new 'pin in the bag and set off across the fields.

The ground was still frozen (-5 for the last three nights) but the sun had softened the top half inch to a particularly greasy slime which made walking hard work. Anyway the sun was shining, the birds were singing and best of all, nobody was fishing the stretch I wanted! Buzzards were mewing and ravens were cronking all over the place........this was going to be a good session!

The water is still that funny snow-melt-green colour but not too bad. I had loaded the reel with 4lb Sensor and tackled up with a homemade sort of Avon, 5BB and a no.6 about 8" from a no 12 hook. I decided to fish a pool that is about 6-7' deep. I trotted and fed maggot, corn and new bait to no avail, not even a brownie was stirring. I altered shotting, depth, hook sizes, hook shapes the lot, still nothing.

Anyway after about an hour of nothing I decided to move upstream to where a little brook flows in to the river. I fed the stretch, and sat and pondered tactics. I started with the same rig as I had used on the pool but using a long-shank size 14 fine wire hook crammed with about 8 maggots. Wallis casting in this and the previous area is a non-starter (for me anyway) it's a case of poke the rod through the trees, pull a couple of loops of line from the reel and swing the float, lob style, to where you want it. I managed to get a nice line in dropping the float on the far edge of the fast water where the brook flowed in on the far bank. Fourth trot down the float wobbled slightly, I struck and bloody hell, fish on! It was obviously a halfway reasonable grayling from the head shaking and dogged resistance. A run upstream confirmed it. I got it into the net and estimated the weight to be about 1lb 6oz, a nice scale and fin perfect cock fish but a little on the thin side.

My first fishing trip of the year, my first fish of the year and my first fish on the new reel, not a monster but a very pretty one that put up a spirited scrap to deserve his freedom! Another 40 minutes saw nothing else so I packed up and came home to a nice mug of tea.

The reel?.........Dead chuffed, it felt as if I'd been using it for years (mind you it's done a few hours spinning in front of the telly), it trotted a line beautifully, it will only improve with time as it runs in. The ratchet works a treat and the balance on the Wizard is great, Can't wait to get at the chub and barbel!

The Allcock's Wizard is one of those very special rods. I had heard people ranting about them for ever, then one came along at a price I couldn't refuse. I thought it was a bit underpowered at first but no. A bloody top class rod, superbly sensitive but steely when you get stuck in. A thoroughbred, all the hype was right for once! I wouldn't ever dream of getting rid of it. If you get the chance to lay your hands on one do it, even if you don't fish with cane. You might become converted :P

Good photograph, lovely grayling, and interesting write-up.

Made me want to invest in a bit of vintage cane. :)

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

Now I am envious!

I went out for a ride on my bike at lunchtime, and had a sneaky look at my local club pond - not looking very fishable!

ice1.jpg

ice2.jpg

ice3.jpg

The Thames tributary I passed over en route looked a little high, quite coloured and very cold, and the water meadows are still full of Thames.

Great stuff, I'm a bit annoyed about the reel though....I want it even more now LOL. Regarding the wallise cast, you can wallise cast in tight situations with your rod pointing straight out infront of you. I was kindly shown the technique by Alan when he gave me a lesson in wallise casting some time ago. It's well worth knowing how to do it and it really is very simple. Oh forgot..... Lovely grayling !

Nice one Worms. I'm out after the ladies myself tomorrow. You've wetted my appetite. I think I'll strap the old Rapidex to the corks rather than the shiny Sheffield!!

Sleeping we image what awake we wish;

Dogs dream of bones, and fishermen of fish.

A cracking fish on cracking tackle, hope its got you over the cabin fever. You can look forward to some pleasurable fishing, just so long as the weather keeps improving.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Great stuff, I'm a bit annoyed about the reel though....I want it even more now LOL. Regarding the wallise cast, you can wallise cast in tight situations with your rod pointing straight out infront of you. I was kindly shown the technique by Alan when he gave me a lesson in wallise casting some time ago. It's well worth knowing how to do it and it really is very simple. Oh forgot..... Lovely grayling !

Don't know about tight situations,I can't do that full stop :D