Are the rivers back in form?

tiddlertamer

The past couple of months has seen a combination of very cold weather combined with large snowfalls and then snowmelt and grit washing its way into our rivers.

The result has been some difficult days down by the riverbank interspersed with the odd success for me. Very odd! :rolleyes:

I wonder if the rivers might be coming back into form however.

The forecast for London looks spot on for the weekend. A bit of light rain at the end of this week and then dry, cloudy and frost free conditions for Saturday and Sunday. I feel I should be getting out to a river bank...

What are the rivers like round your neck of the woods and when do you expect them to get back into tip-top conditions?

Edited by tiddlertamer

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Kennet was still high and fast last weekend but I haven't seen it since then. The Lambourn will be its normal reliable self.

I think with so few weekends left until the end of the season I'll be getting out whatever the conditions

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

The rain-fed rivers up here are up and down like a yo yo at the moment - went to the Tees on Tuesday and had the river in perfect nick at the start and my mate had five grayling (to my one!) in the first half hour. It was snowing like hell and the river came up nearly two feet in a hour and a half and scuppered the rest of the day.

Looks like some more rain coming soon so they will be roaring through again. Doh.

Sleeping we image what awake we wish;

Dogs dream of bones, and fishermen of fish.

Up and down like a whore's drawers and still the funny green winter colour at the moment!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Pretty much bang on here at the moment! Good winter levels, a nice colour and good flows. It's just going to get better as we go through these last few weeks, with warmer air from the SW and fish feeding hard in preparation for spawning. Still everything to play for!

As conditions get better, there's the same old end of season problem - perch or chub?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

The Kennet was still high and fast last weekend but I haven't seen it since then. The Lambourn will be its normal reliable self.

I think with so few weekends left until the end of the season I'll be getting out whatever the conditions

Kennet is slightly high, and running fast but not much colour. It's so cold though, the only fish having it are chub.

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

As conditions get better, there's the same old end of season problem - perch or chub?

Perch are the ones with a spikey dorsal fin and stripes :D:D

Edited by Rusty

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Medway has had very few good days with trotting almost out of the question unless you are fortunate enough to fish mid week. It seems to have been following a pattern of looking ok from Tuesdays through to Thursday and then when Friday afternoon arrives and I get the chance to go the rainfall has made the river rise so fast and cold only the ledgered cheese paste has been any good. That equates to only one species of course.

I did hear of a barbel yesterday though so perhaps the warm rain has helped the water temperature enough to kick start the feeding. I heard of a barbel from the kennet yesterday witnessed by one of our local lads visiting. Just wish conditions would allow the trotting again. A tough winter with only one blank session but there is a limit to how many chevins before monotony

Perch are the ones with a spikey dorsal fin and stripes :D:D

:D

I see your post was edited, Rusty. Now, be honest - did you get them the wrong way around?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music