your greatest catch

essox_lucius

My greatest catch was a 60lb, 119cm (48") barramundi. It was taken while trolling through a dead tree section of Peter Faust Dam, Proserpine in Queensland at 10.00 at night. The hooked fish darted back into the trees and it was a 30 minute fight, trying to extract it from the drowned timber. I was using 20 lb braid and 50 lb leader and it was caught on a 6" barrabait lure.

119CMBARRA.png

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine would be a Spotted Sorubim Catfish I caught many years ago.........this catch was the start of a passion for exotic fishing.

I can identify with that. After 418 different species I still find the capture of a new species memorable, whether it is a ten-spined stickleback or a porbeagle shark (both of which I have recently featured on AN)

Just can't decide which was the best ever - my first bonefish?, first tigerfish?, first marlin?, first tarpon ? Maybe my first Miller's Thumb - the very first fish of all. 68 years ago - seems like yesterday.

BTW where did the Spotted Sorubim come from? - mine was from the Crystilano River in Brazil.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I can identify with that. After 418 different species I still find the capture of a new species memorable, whether it is a ten-spined stickleback or a porbeagle shark (both of which I have recently featured on AN)

Just can't decide which was the best ever - my first bonefish?, first tigerfish?, first marlin?, first tarpon ? Maybe my first Miller's Thumb - the very first fish of all. 68 years ago - seems like yesterday.

BTW where did the Spotted Sorubim come from? - mine was from the Crystilano River in Brazil.

I wish it was from South America, but it was from a commercial fishery in Koi Samui in Thailand called "Top Cats" but it really got me hooked to trying for new species. It was not the biggest cat I have caught and have gone on to catch bigger Sorubim but it was a very important fish for me as it changed my goals in fishing, I am not particularly driven to imporove on my PB's any more but if there is a chance of catching a new species or variant I'm keen. The size is not that important and these days I never go on holiday with out a travel rod in the case and a little pen rod and a hand line to have a go in any ponds, streams or ditches.

A few years back I was fishing in Thailand off some rocks by the beach trying to catch small damsel fish and there were small Bonito smashing into bait fish in the waves. I had my spinning rod with me but was having so much fun trying to catch the little damsels on the pen rod as some of them would be new fish for me that I was not interested in targeting the Bonito.

Some local chap came along and asked why I was "fishing for the babies when we could see big good to eat fish". I replied because I had caught loads of Bonito over the years but I could see little fish by the rocks that I had not" He did not seem to get it and walked off muttering about "crazy farangs". It does kind of make you realise how self indulgent angling can be, most Britsh anglers fish for pleasure but to others it is more important then just fun.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

I wish it was from South America, but it was from a commercial fishery in Koi Samui in Thailand called "Top Cats" but it really got me hooked to trying for new species. It was not the biggest cat I have caught and have gone on to catch bigger Sorubim but it was a very important fish for me as it changed my goals in fishing, I am not particularly driven to imporove on my PB's any more but if there is a chance of catching a new species or variant I'm keen. The size is not that important and these days I never go on holiday with out a travel rod in the case and a little pen rod and a hand line to have a go in any ponds, streams or ditches.

A few years back I was fishing in Thailand off some rocks by the beach trying to catch small damsel fish and there were small Bonito smashing into bait fish in the waves. I had my spinning rod with me but was having so much fun trying to catch the little damsels on the pen rod as some of them would be new fish for me that I was not interested in targeting the Bonito.

Some local chap came along and asked why I was "fishing for the babies when we could see big good to eat fish". I replied because I had caught loads of Bonito over the years but I could see little fish by the rocks that I had not" He did not seem to get it and walked off muttering about "crazy farangs". It does kind of make you realise how self indulgent angling can be, most Britsh anglers fish for pleasure but to others it is more important then just fun.

In Thailand, did you catch anything else! :P

You got me thinking about the question again. I caught my first Tarpon last year while mangove fishing in Mexico and that was probably one of my most enjoyable captures, well if you could describe hanging on and begging the fish not to swim into the mangove roots and praying to god any god that it stays on every time it jumped as being fun.

So maybe the the Tarpon is my favourite capture, but then with out catching that first Sorubim I don't think I would be chasing these exotics. The only problem is that I think my girlfriend has started to see a pattern in the destinations I agree to go too. When she is considering a destination she normally just asks whats the fishing like in so and so and if I say ok we go there.

Planning to go to Thailand in June and hope to be able to target a few fish missing from my list Sailfish, GT, Striped Catfish and Chao Phraya Catfish.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

My first ever Spanish Cat.

I bet that was exciting, it will be a while before I try Spain as I only caught my first Wels last year a massive 4 pounder :D so I still have plenty of scope for trying to better that this summer at home. But those spanish cats are awe-inspiring.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Species Caught 2013

Species Caught 2012
Species Caught 2011
Species Caught 2010
Species Caught 2009
Species Caught 2008
Species Caught 2007

My wife she puts up with quite a lot from me, yet she will come fishing with me in snow and sit and read a book regardless of how cold, wet and or windy it is, she makes my weird floats buy's me tackle for Christmas makes my sandwiches. She can't make coffee worth a damn though...hehehe

I am sure no easy person to live with...hehehe

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

After a lot of thought it has to be a grayling. I'd been lost to fishing for some years (sidecar racing and climbing/potholing) when a friend asked me out for 'old times sake' for a day after grayling on the fly. That first half-pounder still seems the most wonderous fish of all. The next day I exchanged my one day licence for a yearly one and went up into the loft and dug out all my old gear.

I've never looked back and my sidecar is just for transport now!

Sleeping we image what awake we wish;

Dogs dream of bones, and fishermen of fish.

Maybe my first Miller's Thumb - the very first fish of all. 68 years ago - seems like yesterday.

Mine was last week! Only seems like a few days ago :P

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!