Hardy Conquest? King Pin?

Phil Adams

Ok thats fair enough, all valid points.

The main reason for not buying somthing like an Okhuma is simply that it is a one off birthday gift and will be kept for a lifetime, because of that I have swayed more towards somthing less mainstream if that makes sense. At the same time I want to have somthing that is suitable and can be used.

I'll admit that I love the design of the Conquest but if it is not 100% suitable then asthetics dont count.

Ive used a pin for a good few years and simply want another that can be used for trotting with heavy cubbers/avons, barbeling and close range carping.

I think I need to get into Leslies and have a play with both the Conquest and a King Pin and any others I can find.

Thanks all

Phil

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, Have you seen this reel which just falls in your budget.

The review mentions mainly fishing on the bottom but the second sight says the pins are set high to give a high retrieve rate so should be good for trotting as well. I wish Garry Mills website showed a range of reels but a call to him may get a reel just correct for your needs.

http://www.barbel.co.uk/site/reviews/bccpin/bccpin.htm

http://www.barbelcatchersclub.co.uk/CENTRE...58/Default.aspx

http://www.milltackle.co.uk/

I have ordered a Chris Lythe but dont expect to get it in time. If he doesn't produce the goods I will be buying one of these. Chris is supposed to be doing me a spare spool which will allow the same reel to be used for different purposes i.e. Barbel master and a long trotter. Perhaps Garry could do this aswell.

What method of casting do you use? The Stanton is supposed to be great for trotting but hard to cast Wallis style. I have met the owner of the company and he was happy to let me try one if I wanted. He is based in leistershire, it may be worth the journey.

if you fancy a fred crouch reel the ones sold on e-bay are real ones ,but you can get them from from paul ,here

and if you can increase your budget a bit more ,this has just come too my attention ,garry mills is now producing these

Barbus001.jpg

known as the "Barbus" and rather nice it is too ,(you can read more Here)

Edited by chavender

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

if you fancy a fred crouch reel the ones sold on e-bay are real ones ,but you can get them from from paul ,here

and if you can increase your budget a bit more ,this has just come too my attention ,garry mills is now producing these

Barbus001.jpg

known as the "Barbus" and rather nice it is too ,(you can read more Here)

I'm amazed how badly finnished off those Gary Mills reels look. The handles overlap the drum and even the holes.......terrible mess!

I'm amazed how badly finnished off those Gary Mills reels look. The handles overlap the drum and even the holes.......terrible mess!

Thats exactly what I thought when I first saw this reel. Went back and looked at his other reels and they are the same. is this something to do with having more line pins on the spool?

Thats exactly what I thought when I first saw this reel. Went back and looked at his other reels and they are the same. is this something to do with having more line pins on the spool?

Just looks a mess to me, even the screw heads look mashed and the small centre screw looks crap with the slit not being central . If your paying good money out then you should receive decent/good quality finnished off items, not things what look like they've just been thrown together as quick as poss. That picture would put me off buying one of Mr Mill's pins I'm afraid.