Strange foods that taste good

Newt

many years ago a mate of mine got fed up with the ration packs so tried frying tinned sardines in the oil they came in then adding curry powder ! They were disgusting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've not cooked octopus, but I have cooked squid, and the trick is to cook it very fast, very briefly or long and slow. Anything inbetween will be rubbery. I believe octopus is the same. If I went for the long and slow option, I think I would try the slow cooker.

I've not cooked octopus, but I have cooked squid, and the trick is to cook it very fast, very briefly or long and slow. Anything inbetween will be rubbery. I believe octopus is the same. If I went for the long and slow option, I think I would try the slow cooker.

Have got the quick cooking me left over squid bait off to a tee, a few seconds till it curls up and its done. don't work with mrs octopus, bit like eating a dunlop radial.

Will try the slow cooking very soon & post the results. Will try the same with a buttlefish, if i can get hold of one, local post office don't seem to want to stock em :huh:

many years ago a mate of mine got fed up with the ration packs so tried frying tinned sardines in the oil they came in then adding curry powder ! They were disgusting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey VooDooMan,

That sounds great, i'm going to try that tomorow for breakfast. Maybe with vegemite.

Pressure cookers are good for those critters as well as snakes belonging to the constrictor family.

They do a good job and reduce the cooking time by a bunch.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hey VooDooMan,

That sounds great, i'm going to try that tomorow for breakfast. Maybe with vegemite.

That is really gross! :yucky: Although I am a fan of marmite !

That is really gross! :yucky: Although I am a fan of marmite !

Hmm, see what you mean, gives them a bit of a metalic taste, not bad though. Mind you, i loves devilled mackerel too.

There was a Marmite thread on another forum I use, I was sure someone had said that they put Marmite in scrambled egg, so I tried it.

From a culinary perspective it was not a disaster but not great either, from a visual perspective it was like babies nappy on toast and much as I like Marmite I won't be doing it again.

I am genuinely interested in the Marmite toothpaste, who makes it?

Vegemite?............pffftttttt.

Marmite is a pale and feeble vegetarian alternative - Marmite is where it's at.

Err. Presumably that second "Marmite" should have been "Bovril" - except of course that's veggie as well these days.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.