All Rivers Flow South?

Guest rabbit

I think you'd have avoided a lot of the debate if you'd posed the question which is the only river to run due North! !

I no I don't read the Weeklies (Waterlog's the only angling periodical I read these days) - though the same question did come up on BFW recently!

C.

ps The sky is blue due to Rayleigh scattering. As light moves through the atmosphere, most of the longer wavelengths pass straight through. Little of the red, orange and yellow light is affected by the air.

However, much of the shorter wavelength light is absorbed by the gas molecules. The absorbed blue light is then radiated in different directions. It gets scattered all around the sky. Whichever direction you look, some of this scattered blue light reaches you. Since you see the blue light from everywhere overhead, the sky looks blue.

[ 29. September 2005, 09:11 AM: Message edited by: Chris Plumb ]

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris

Why would I want to avoid debate..? This is NOT the Labour conference. Anyway thanks for the lesson, the same factors apply to babies eyes all being blue, (mostly) :rolleyes:

Chris Plumb:

The sky is blue due to Rayleigh scattering. As light moves through the atmosphere, most of the longer wavelengths pass straight through. Little of the red, orange and yellow light is affected by the air.

However, much of the shorter wavelength light is absorbed by the gas molecules. The absorbed blue light is then radiated in different directions. It gets scattered all around the sky. Whichever direction you look, some of this scattered blue light reaches you. Since you see the blue light from everywhere overhead, the sky looks blue.

Well I never knew that.

Learn a new thing every day. :D

Cheers Chris

Newt:

Rivers flow south? Errr, doesn't the Thames pretty much flow east?

I looked at Rivers That Flow North which lists most of them, worldwide (and there aren't many) and except for Ireland's Bann & Erne, there don't seem to be any north flowing rivers over your way.

Strange list - doesn't include The Rhine, which chugs way N until it does a W turn at the end.

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

Rivers That Flow North

quote:

Below is a partial list of rivers (length listed when known) that do just that. We haven't listed rivers that run to the northwest, or rivers that don't meet the exact requirements.
" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

A Worm On One End........:

Rivers that flow S to N in England (or as near as dam it)

Great Ouse

Trent

Not many I suppose. Possibly due to Ice Age flow largely from North?

Probably due to the fact the England doesn't have much of a N coast for the rivers to flow into

Siberia is absolutely teeming with N flowing rivers. Ditto Canada, Lapland and the N coast of S America.

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

My point was that only one river that flows south to north entirely along its length. That is true of the Isbourne which is the only river that has that characteristic. The head of the river is south of Winchcombe and then flows due north to reach its destination on the Warwickshire Avon at Evesham.

The Trent for example runs from Stoke on Trent to Burton on Trent which is of course heading south.

Good stuff thanks for all the interesting facts.