Blame Wordbender for what I am about to inflict.

Rustam Bana

Get the 10000XTEs if you can, Rusters. I've used four of them for 18 months now and them's a fine reel.

I also use 50lb PowerPro on my lure outfit and that stuff takes some beating, too.

Exciting times, dear boy. It'll make designing those bog windows seem positively dull. :D

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Terry. Will get the 10K.

Here's another question for you and the other members. How does one compute the useable line weight of a rod if it is not mentioned on the manufacturer's website? [Edit: I had a feeling I had seen the answer earlier and only just realised it's on a link provided by Budgie on this very thread.]

Also, what is the danger of using a line weight higher than the recommended one?

Toodles ol' chap! :D

Rustam

[ 05. July 2005, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: Rustam Bana ]

Rustam Bana:

Here's another question for you and the other members. How does one compute the useable line weight of a rod if it is not mentioned on the manufacturer's website?

just take a guess, that's what most manufacturers do!

Length: 10' to 12'

Travel length: 6' max.

Weight: Not to exceed 500 grams. Would prefer something in the mid 300's if possible.

Test Curve: 2.75 to 3.00

Guides: 6 to 7.

Casting Weight: 6 to 8 oz. max.

Cost: GBP 75.00 max.

Never caught a mahseer in my life but having read about their strength and the strength of the river currents in which you'll find them, I think you should be looking for something a bit heavier than 2.75-3lb tc. That today would only rate as a medium weight pike rod.

Two choices spring to mind. Something like a Daiwa uptide rod around the ten foot mark. These come in various grades (and prices) starting from around 30 quid and going up to a couple of hundred. Probably there's a rod in the range that suits your pocket. These rods are typically rated 2-10oz casting weight. Try http://www.bosfish.co.uk. or google 'Daiwa uptider'

Other way to go is a heavy pike boat rod such as the three piece 10'6" pike boat rod sold by North Western Blanks and rated at 4lb test curve. The rod is not on their website at www.northwesternblanks.co.uk but they will still make the rod for around £125. They will also supply a blank for around £50 if you have a rod maker locally that can finish it for you.

Parts to finish are easy to obtain from someone like Hopkins and Holloway.

I personally would go for the last option, particularly if on a budget and assuming you have a contact who can build rods. Postage and packing on a three piece blank should also be peanuts.

Ideally the reel would probably be something like an ABU 7000 muliplier, but as a complete newbie to fishing I think the biggest Shimano fixed spool reel you can find would be easier. If you have a rod with guides suitable for a fixed spool then you can always switch to a multiplier at a later stage when you have a bit of fishing confidence under your belt.

Hope that helps.

[ 05. July 2005, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Argyll, many thanks for your suggestions.

Unfortunately, I don't know off any rod maker in these parts. I don't mind a bit of DIY but I will put making one on hold until I have gained a bit of experience.

Rustam

Wordbender:

Oi!

Yes, I'm talking to you pair - Peter 'I knew Piltdown Man when he was just a boy' Waller, and Newt 'Prohibition ruined my 30th birthday party' Vale.

At a mere 48, I'm a foetus among fossils, in your company!

Harrrrumph!

:D  

Only 48! Your pictures in AT suggest otherwise!!

Only 48 years old, how can we take his opinions seriously? He's still developing, only half way round the block!!

Peter Waller:

Only 48! Your pictures in AT suggest otherwise!!

That's because of all the effort I put in finding my own fish, and not sitting back eating a prawn sandwich while a box of electronic tricks does the work FOR me, Mush!

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

Look here, Mushla, finding fish in a gold-fish bowl is not rocket science. Reckon they all have chips in 'em so your GPS can locate 'em anyway. Poor old sods can't escape, like going on a man hunt in his prison cell!! Harder to find a matching pair of socks than to catch one of those tame beasties!!

Its all that bankside high living thats taking its toll, should stick to fishing :D !