Blame Wordbender for what I am about to inflict.

Rustam Bana

Have done a bit of reading and feel that the following specifications may suit the bill for a Mahaseer rod which will also be used as a spinning rod, from the bank, for carp, catla, rohu, etc.

Please tell me what you think and I would be grateful if you could recommend a particular rod, if you agree with the specs below.

Length: 10' to 12'

Travel length: 6' max.

Weight: Not to exceed 500 grams. Would prefer something in the mid 300's if possible.

Test Curve: 2.75 to 3.00

Guides: 6 to 7.

Casting Weight: 6 to 8 oz. max.

Cost: GBP 75.00 max.

Thanks.

Rustam

[ 04. July 2005, 06:18 PM: Message edited by: Rustam Bana ]

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rustam, a fishfinder is a real boon to any true angler. Those who fish small lakes, with domesticated big fish, don't need them, because it is just like hunting lions in a cage. People, like you and me, who hunt wild fish, really can benefit from a good fishfinder.

Peter Waller:

Rustam, a fishfinder is a real boon to any true angler.....really can benefit from a good fishfinder.

Peter, one of my friend's has one. He did mention something about mapping the new lake. At this stage I'm just happy to sit on the bank with rod in hand, rather than targetting specific species or weights with one exception - Mahaseer. I have been reading accounts and I'm deadly keen on getting stuck in. However, I wouldn't like to use it for Mahaseer because learning their habits and trying to hook them is half the fun. I may well change my tune at a later date. Still have so much to learn and experience before I can afford to start forming my own opinion.

The Bent One is old and frail so you must excuse him from taking things easy.

Rustam

The Bent One has, because he is so decrepit, or so its rumoured, an electric chair lift from his bivvy to the bank. Quite a civilised chair though, having a wine glass holder and remote control for his bite indicator built into the arm rest. The sun canopy of the chair comes in tastefull RealTree Wetlands pattern and is fringed in unpolished gold braid, unpolished so as not to spook the fish. The chair's built-in commode is also self flushing and automatically dries and powders any damp areas. It also has a powered lift and tilt device to help the poor old fella onto his feet in the event that he wishes to be photographed with one of his many pet fishy friends.

[ 04. July 2005, 09:59 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

I think the rod specs you list add up to a good general-duty rod for larger fish. Probably as good a compromise as you could make.

If you expect much action from the larger of the fish available to you, go for the 12 ft one.

Probably best to start out with a spinning reel (that's 'fixed spool' for the Brits). Get a good one since the drag (that's 'clutch' for the Brits) is a major help in dealing with larger fish and a poor one will burn up and render your reel a useless piece of junk until fixed (if it could be). The Shimano 6500 Baitrunner should be a good size for that rod and hold plenty of line for you.

Line - I strongly favor PowerPro line myself and 50 lb test (that's B/S for the Brits) is great unless you fish some really rough areas in which case a move up to 80 lb is not a bad idea. PowerPro braid is much smaller diameter for a given strength than mono so the 50lb is the same diameter as 12lb mono and the 80lb is the same as 18lb mono except that it isn't as stiff.

If you do opt for braid, note that it is slicker than mono and many of the standard mono knots will not hold. I use a palomar knot but some folks on here have another one they like - grinner knot I think. And a knotless knot to the hook holds fine.

BTW - I sometimes suspect that Terry 'Wordbender' and Peter Waller are the same person and just enjoy posting good natured arguments. Both of them are older than dirt, I think, and may honestly not remember they aren't the same person. Has anyone ever seem them both in the same place at the same time or is this one of those Clark Kent / Superman things?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Rustam Bana:

Rustam Bana:

Rustam, a fishfinder is a real boon to any true angler.....really can benefit from a good fishfinder.

I wouldn't like to use it for Mahaseer because learning their habits and trying to hook them is half the fun.
Take THAT, Waller, you techno-cad you! Even angling's equivalent of a babe in arms can see through your sonar-assisted cheatery.

Find your OWN fish, Sir - and turn your back on such jiggery and indeed, pokery.

Good fellow, Rusters. Stay away from Darth Waller and the Dark Side.

:D

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

Newt:

BTW - I sometimes suspect that Terry 'Wordbender' and Peter Waller are the same person

WHYIOUGHTA.....!!!!

Dammit, Newt, of all the insults to hurl at a fellow, you just hurled the insultin'est.

Now I know how the Hatfields and the McCoys got started. I bet one said the other one was Peter Waller.

[ 04. July 2005, 10:31 PM: Message edited by: Wordbender ]

Oi!

Yes, I'm talking to you pair - Peter 'I knew Piltdown Man when he was just a boy' Waller, and Newt 'Prohibition ruined my 30th birthday party' Vale.

At a mere 48, I'm a foetus among fossils, in your company!

Harrrrumph!

Hi Newt and many thanks for okaying the specs.

I had already decided on a Baitrunner reel. The choice is down to the 6500 B, 8000 GTE-B and 10000 XTE. I have included the higher spool capacity reels keeping Budgie's advice of looking at braid dia rather B.S..

Funnily enough, my friend also swears by and uses Power Pro 80lb. braid or 30 lb Berkely Big Game braid.

Rustam